If we don't move on...

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No, this is not a thread about what changes we should make. I don't think it's the right time to discuss that just yet.

But already there has been a lot of talk prior to the playoffs about what the Suns should do in the off-season if they don't win a championship. There was talk about what should be considered a successful season, and generally that involved at least a trip to the finals. Anything short of that and a lot of people would be calling for some major personnel changes. But given what has happened in this series, does that change now? I mean, even if we lose to the Spurs again, it's no longer because they were the better team. Sure we can still improve, but can we say that we still don't have what it takes to win it all? Can we still say that major (or even any) changes need to be made in order to get over that proverbial hump?

Personally I think the way this series had gone, the way the Spurs were handed tonight's win and probably the series win, it's going to be difficult to evaluate what changes we need to make. We could very well have a championship team right now, just not the opportunity to prove it. it's not like Dallas who fell apart in the first round. We did not fall apart, we were literally taken apart by the league office. If we come back and win this series despite all the adversity we had to overcome, that would be a great testament to how good this team really is. But if we don't, should we still consider making major moves in the off-season, the kind of moves we would have to make had we lost to the Spurs fair-and-square?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think the first priority should be to hire an assistant coach whose sole function is to keep players from leaving the bench.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
this needs to stop. Phx needs to stop blaming the refs, the league or whomever. its gut check time and the bottomlien is Phx had the lead and choked.

I am very disappionted that Marion has yet to play like a veteran. how many playoff games has he played?

The team needed him today and the best thing he could comeup with was 24 points. Its a stat stuffer but its not enough to win.

I am very disappionted to say it and am hearbroken as well but MArion needs to go. Phx cant afford his salary. !6 million is too mcuh money to pay for a complimentary player.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the first priority should be to hire an assistant coach whose sole function is to keep players from leaving the bench.

Dan Patrick said something like, "Are teams now going to have to pick assistant coaches according to their arm reach and install seatbelts on the bench?"

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Both of those players are pipe dreams. The sooner everyone accepts it the better.

I'm kinda curious why a few posters insist KG is a pipe dream...Is it because ppl are sure Minny is going to keep him or the Suns cant put together the right kind of package for KG.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
After watching tonights game I couldn't be happier (except for a win) with the performance. LB made some dumb fouls but he's young. The team ran out of gas and is just a solid bench performer away from winning it all. I hope this team doesn't get blown up if we lose this series. That's a turnaround for me and tonight was a big night for me in terms of belief in this current roster.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
We need to get couple of nasty guys on the roster. Scrubs whose sole purpose of existence is to foul hard. We don't have any on this team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we get the #4 pick. I say do nothing. With the way that this series may end, I'm not sure if Sarver will break up this team next year.

just do it

Registered
Reaction score
I am really starting to like the Brewer kid from Florida, Sarver needs to suck it up for one more year and keep everyone together with the exception of *maybe* trading Thomas to save some money. Nash deserves at least one more chance at a title. Brewer can be groomed to be Marions replacement if Marions contract has to be traded. To bad you can't sign extensions and lower your cap hit like the NFL?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am really starting to like the Brewer kid from Florida, Sarver needs to suck it up for one more year and keep everyone together with the exception of *maybe* trading Thomas to save some money. Nash deserves at least one more chance at a title. Brewer can be groomed to be Marions replacement if Marions contract has to be traded. To bad you can't sign extensions and lower your cap hit like the NFL?

After how valuable Thomas has been to this team in this series, you want to *maybe* trade him? :rolleyes: Besides, if you want to save money, you let his expiring contract expire.

He has earned not only this year's salary, but next years too.

If he wants to save money, sell another draft pick. I'd rather that than getting rid of Thomas next year.

just do it

Registered
Reaction score
After how valuable Thomas has been to this team in this series, you want to *maybe* trade him? :rolleyes: Besides, if you want to save money, you let his expiring contract expire.

He has earned not only this year's salary, but next years too.

If he wants to save money, sell another draft pick. I'd rather that than getting rid of Thomas next year.

I guess maybe unload the last 1st rd pick if someone takes Banks contract??

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
or maybe get brewer and hope that he produces fast
and trade marion for cap purposes..

maybe for ratliff (he's a FA right?) and he's a big that can defend and rebound..

and get another marion-type player from the draft, via trade or FA pool..

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess maybe unload the last 1st rd pick if someone takes Banks contract??

Possibly. Someone like the Knicks may find value in Banks. They also need youth, so they might do it.

Just selling the pick for 3 mil, may be the better option.

mr_sunshine

Veteran
Reaction score
Possibly. Someone like the Knicks may find value in Banks. They also need youth, so they might do it.

Just selling the pick for 3 mil, may be the better option.

What could the Knicks possibly do with another PG on their roster? Don't they already have like 5? :p