Igor Kokoskov seeking credibility

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading a Duane Rankin article at azcentral this morning and it talked about Igor Kokoskov seeking seeking credibility. It's a highly recommended read.

Here are some excerpts:

So when asked why the Phoenix Suns kept stumbling out of the gate, the rookie 7-footer initially said they have to “practice how they want to play more” — and he didn’t stop there.

“Coach emphasizes sacrifice, but teach us exactly what that means as young players,” Ayton said. “What do we have to give up, or offer up? Tell us our roles. That’s the main reason to know what to sacrifice. Explain it and we’ll know what our sacrifices are and whoever don’t do their job, confront them. Simple as that.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kokoskov has work to do in that area with the youthful Suns in his first year as an NBA head coach.

“It could be better,” Suns wing Josh Jackson said. “It’s a lot of things we’re all trying to figure out.”

Kokoskov has openly admitted he’s trying to establish credibility with fans, referees, media — and his team. He can have all the basketball knowledge and insight, but knows the end results are what matters the most.

“Winning proves that whatever you’re saying, whatever you’re doing, whatever you’re preaching, coaching, it makes sense,” he said. “You have a young team who’s trying to figure it out themselves and trying to find our own identity. Without winning games, that puts extra pressure on you to sell it and for guys to accept.”

Duane Rankin, Arizona Republic Published 7:00 a.m. MT Jan. 23, 2019 | Updated 9:24 a.m. MT Jan. 23, 2019

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...other-growing-first-year-together/2652887002/

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was reading a Duane Rankin article at azcentral this morning and it talked about Igor Kokoskov seeking seeking credibility. It's a highly recommended read.

Here are some excerpts:

So when asked why the Phoenix Suns kept stumbling out of the gate, the rookie 7-footer initially said they have to “practice how they want to play more” — and he didn’t stop there.

“Coach emphasizes sacrifice, but teach us exactly what that means as young players,” Ayton said. “What do we have to give up, or offer up? Tell us our roles. That’s the main reason to know what to sacrifice. Explain it and we’ll know what our sacrifices are and whoever don’t do their job, confront them. Simple as that.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kokoskov has work to do in that area with the youthful Suns in his first year as an NBA head coach.

“It could be better,” Suns wing Josh Jackson said. “It’s a lot of things we’re all trying to figure out.”

Kokoskov has openly admitted he’s trying to establish credibility with fans, referees, media — and his team. He can have all the basketball knowledge and insight, but knows the end results are what matters the most.

“Winning proves that whatever you’re saying, whatever you’re doing, whatever you’re preaching, coaching, it makes sense,” he said. “You have a young team who’s trying to figure it out themselves and trying to find our own identity. Without winning games, that puts extra pressure on you to sell it and for guys to accept.”

Duane Rankin, Arizona Republic Published 7:00 a.m. MT Jan. 23, 2019 | Updated 9:24 a.m. MT Jan. 23, 2019

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...other-growing-first-year-together/2652887002/

Ayton's quote says it all and now absolutely confirms what I have suspected all along: Igor Kokoskov is unable to communicate effectively enough to get any meaningful message through to the players. The sooner he's gone, the better, in my opinion.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My take on that little quote by Ayton, he sounds pretty naïve to me. Its like the new guy on the job who isn't a self starter. Or the guy without a lot of common sense. People with drive, intuition and life long learning don't need to be told what to do. It seems like the players don't hold themselves accountable at all, instead their finger is pointed at Igor.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My take on that little quote by Ayton, he sounds pretty naïve to me. Its like the new guy on the job who isn't a self starter. Or the guy without a lot of common sense. People with drive, intuition and life long learning don't need to be told what to do. It seems like the players don't hold themselves accountable at all, instead their finger is pointed at Igor.

But it's not like he doesn't want to learn (or that the other players don't want to learn). At some point, the teacher has to be able to teach. Clearly Igor Kokoskov is unable to do so here.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton's comment as well as Igor's comments were the most interesting for me.

I would have liked to hear more from Jackson.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Maybe they can set up a Skype call with Earl Watson to hear that they are loved. That ought to fix it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The National Basketball Association is the most talented, roughest basketball league in the world. Especially for a young man with one year of previous experience playing out of position in college.

It is not like moving up at Burger King. Or at Target. Or as a clerk at a law firm. Your generalizations hardly represent the NBA.

"Isn't a self starter"? "...without a lot of common sense"? Those are outrageous accusations! How would you like to hear that on a new job after one year of college? With the extra ingredient of people in your face denying you success.

Of course, Ayton is naïve. Of course he "needs to be told what to do". That is what coaches are for. Especially on a team that doesn't have a skilled distributor to help him get started properly. Or a real Power Forward to divert the rebounding responsibility.

How easy it is to sit at home and insult DeAndre for not being an instant savior despite the dysfunction that surrounds him.

Was it his decision to station himself at the 3-point stripe on offense? Hardly! "Isn't a self starter"? "...without a lot of common sense"? As a Suns fan, it hurts just to read that.

Of course the finger is pointed at the coach, just as it would be if one Burger King had the most putrid sales figures in the State. Do you think the Area Manager would blame it on their newest employee? Or would he blame it on the store manager whose responsibility it is to train his or her people and give them what they need to do the job well.

A good manager makes it as simple as possible (as opposed to complex) for his or her employees to do their job well. Whether it is at Target or in the NBA.

Granted, some of the young instant millionaires in the NBA develop bad attitudes. I think it is inaccurate to lump Ayton into that category. Even if he were, addressing that is one of the responsibilities of the coach. And the ownership and management team that hires bargain basement coaches.

It takes more than skilled X's and O's to coach a basketball team. And even Igor's X's and O's have produced failure. How easy it is to blame the rookie Ayton. Look at it from his point of view.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He's 19! At 19 I was just trying to make it to class on time without oversleeping and hoping my dad doesn't find out what I'm spending the money on that he sends me. Ayton is the #1 pick making millions in a HIGHLY visible industry. What were you doing when you were 19?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe they can set up a Skype call with Earl Watson to hear that they are loved. That ought to fix it.

Sadly, Igor's "message" as quoted by Ayton already mimics Watson, anyway...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The National Basketball Association is the most talented, roughest basketball league in the world. Especially for a young man with one year of previous experience playing out of position in college.

It is not like moving up at Burger King. Or at Target. Or as a clerk at a law firm. Your generalizations hardly represent the NBA.

"Isn't a self starter"? "...without a lot of common sense"? Those are outrageous accusations! How would you like to hear that on a new job after one year of college? With the extra ingredient of people in your face denying you success.

Of course, Ayton is naïve. Of course he "needs to be told what to do". That is what coaches are for. Especially on a team that doesn't have a skilled distributor to help him get started properly. Or a real Power Forward to divert the rebounding responsibility.

How easy it is to sit at home and insult DeAndre for not being an instant savior despite the dysfunction that surrounds him.

Was it his decision to station himself at the 3-point stripe on offense? Hardly! "Isn't a self starter"? "...without a lot of common sense"? As a Suns fan, it hurts just to read that.

Of course the finger is pointed at the coach, just as it would be if one Burger King had the most putrid sales figures in the State. Do you think the Area Manager would blame it on their newest employee? Or would he blame it on the store manager whose responsibility it is to train his or her people and give them what they need to do the job well.

A good manager makes it as simple as possible (as opposed to complex) for his or her employees to do their job well. Whether it is at Target or in the NBA.

Granted, some of the young instant millionaires in the NBA develop bad attitudes. I think it is inaccurate to lump Ayton into that category. Even if he were, addressing that is one of the responsibilities of the coach. And the ownership and management team that hires bargain basement coaches.

It takes more than skilled X's and O's to coach a basketball team. And even Igor's X's and O's have produced failure. How easy it is to blame the rookie Ayton. Look at it from his point of view.

This times infinity. At some point someone needs to hold Igor accountable for not doing his job instead of blaming everyone else but Igor.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's 19! At 19 I was just trying to make it to class on time without oversleeping and hoping my dad doesn't find out what I'm spending the money on that he sends me. Ayton is the #1 pick making millions in a HIGHLY visible industry. What were you doing when you were 19?

Exactly, and again it's not like Ayton doesn't have a good attitude and doesn't want to learn and improve. He wants guidance. He's BEGGING for guidance...and he's not getting it from the one person who is most responsible for providing that guidance, his head coach.

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
“practice how they want to play more”
amazing that anyone, in defense of Igor, could spin this as Ayton not accepting responsibility
Ayton's got it right.
as a player it's his job to put the ball in the basket and stop the other guy from doing the same.
but it's the coach's responsibility to define their roles, confront them if they don't do their job, and translate it all into wins.

when a rookie of 3 month's has to ask for that from the boss who has been in coaching for 18 years, and call for MORE practice, instead of just enjoying the freedom of a soft coach,
something is wrong

something that any reasonably balanced fan should have suspected 2 month's ago

i said we'd probably have to wait months or years after Igor's firing to hear insights into his coaching
i was wrong

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
and Igor himself, admits the players are not buying what he's selling:
"Without winning games, that puts extra pressure on you to sell it and for guys to accept.”

yes. even if Igor is a genius,
if his style and game plan is not translating to an acceptable level of basketball
even if it's just because the players suck
it's his job on the line
happens to several coaches every year

but i don't think this roster sucks

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When listening to Ayton, there’s a sense the Suns are willing to do what Kokoskov asks. They might not be completely clear on what he wants them to do, but they realize the situation and are supportive of him.

i think they like him as a person. i do too
he'd make a nice assistant

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"He’s taking it with stride and doing an unbelievable job.” -Booker

well, that's an endorsement.
but it is from the 22 year old who's got a free-hand to do whatever he wants on the floor for a billion dollar franchise, and, imo, has never played for a good coach

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
“Nothing happens overnight,” Kokoskov said. “In the meantime, they have to be prideful. We’re not telling them, ‘Hey be patient. Be prideful. You control your preparation. You control your growth.’”

huh?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So which is it, is it not like Burger King, Target, etc or is it like that? You're contradicting yourself. I know you're saying that for Ayton it's different than Igor but they're both new in their positions. One of them happens to be the sort of player that you've dreamed about the Suns acquiring for decades and you give him free pass after free pass while taking personal exception to anything negative said about his game. The other is a foreign born first time NBA coach who you've chosen to leap all of the blame on because you don't think he has the gumption to tell Sarver to hit bricks so when there is a problem it's not a surprise that you'll blame the person you believe is nothing more than Sarver's "yes man" but in this instance you are literally saying one comparison isn't accurate and then using that same comparison to try and make a different point. This is part of the reason no one else joins the "Anti-Igor" side that you've been pushing, the bias on your part is plain to see.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So which is it, is it not like Burger King, Target, etc or is it like that? You're contradicting yourself. I know you're saying that for Ayton it's different than Igor but they're both new in their positions. One of them happens to be the sort of player that you've dreamed about the Suns acquiring for decades and you give him free pass after free pass while taking personal exception to anything negative said about his game. The other is a foreign born first time NBA coach who you've chosen to leap all of the blame on because you don't think he has the gumption to tell Sarver to hit bricks so when there is a problem it's not a surprise that you'll blame the person you believe is nothing more than Sarver's "yes man" but in this instance you are literally saying one comparison isn't accurate and then using that same comparison to try and make a different point. This is part of the reason no one else joins the "Anti-Igor" side that you've been pushing, the bias on your part is plain to see.

You're missing one very important point. It's Igor's job to teach, guide and lead the likes of Ayton. It's not Ayton's job to teach himself.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
My "bias" is against the lack of results. SOS-DD. Especially now since the players are going public with the lack of leadership from their coach.

I counted the word "you" ten times in your post. Are you really blaming me for the status of the Suns? Really?

Why not accept the assessment that the lifetime assistant does not have the fortitude of personality to make the jump to the guy in the hot seat? Just look at the results.

Granted, he was given a very unbalanced roster with which to work. But Igor's combination of lack of leadership and slow reactions to situations is killing the Suns. The Suns are in the dredges and Igor is a solid part of it.

A question, Poop. Why be so defensive about considering the ongoing disappointing performance of our Suns? Every week we are seeing more fuel for the fire.

I think you let the "poop" go to your head. I'm smiling as I post that. I hope you do the same.

But, seriously, Robert, Jr., can't you get Dad to spring for a talented GM and Head Coach? :rolleyes:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My "bias" is against the lack of results. SOS-DD. Especially now since the players are going public with the lack of leadership from their coach.

I counted the word "you" ten times in your post. Are you really blaming me for the status of the Suns? Really?

Why not accept the assessment that the lifetime assistant does not have the fortitude of personality to make the jump to the guy in the hot seat? Just look at the results.

Granted, he was given a very unbalanced roster with which to work. But Igor's combination of lack of leadership and slow reactions to situations is killing the Suns. The Suns are in the dredges and Igor is a solid part of it.

A question, Poop. Why be so defensive about considering the ongoing disappointing performance of our Suns? Every week we are seeing more fuel for the fire.

I think you let the "poop" go to your head. I'm smiling as I post that. I hope you do the same.

But, seriously, Robert, Jr., can't you get Dad to spring for a talented GM and Head Coach? :rolleyes:

I should have known you would try to deflect. You opened your last post saying a comparison wasn’t fair or accurate and then you used the same comparison to try and bash someone on the team that you don’t care for. You refuse to accept reality because you’re blinded by your disdain for Sarver and will always find a reason to hate on the Suns since they’re his team. If you think I’m blaming you for the ruining the Suns then I question your reading comprehension. What you have done recently though is ruin my ability to enjoy this board because inevitably you’ll show up and make some asinine claim that’s been proven false numerous times like how Booker is only injured because he plays PG or how Ayton is the perfect player and should not be blamed for any shortcomings because his coaches can’t use him properly or how the Suns are doomed because no one will tell Sarver to go to hell. It wouldn’t be so bad if you made those claims once and moved on but instead you continue to bring every conversation back to one of those things, you’ve even done it here when I point that you contradicted yourself, you decided to blame Sarver somehow. Get help. No grown man should think about someone else as much as you do Sarver. It’s odd how you blame him for any issues that come about, even your own double talk.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
"Get help. No grown man should think about someone else as much as you do Sarver."? Now you're hitting below the belt! But I'm laughing, "Caca Cabeza". :)

My career was in management. I oversaw anywhere from 40 to 110 personnel for decades. So it is natural for me to view the dismal ongoing status of the Suns from a management perspective.

Don't many of our posers reflect the priorities of their life's experiences in their posts? Which is a good thing.

Thinking as a management consultant, what have been the Suns major problems? Constant hiring and firing of cheap General Managers and Head Coaches. Unbalanced rosters, first one way then the other.

And, yes, a banker who evidently thinks that owning a team makes him a knowledgeable General Manager.

I respond to posts objectively. You attack the poster. AzCentral/AzRepublic reported today that "Suns oner Robert Sarver is not popular with fans." (Mark J. Rebilas/USA Today Sports). Should he "get help", too?

You're the one whose opinion supporting Sarver is in the minority. Please explain why you evidently give him good grades (category by category).

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You're the one whose opinion supporting Sarver is in the minority.

defenders of Sarver and Igor are in a small minority.
really only like 4 squeaky wheels here who aggressively try to silence criticism

if they don't work for Sarver, they should. make some coin for their efforts

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser