I'm Calling My Shot: Jake Locker in round 2

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
Personally I really like the kid. I think coming back for his senior season has only allowed scouts to put him even further under the microscope and knit pick his game. If he is available in round 2, I would grab him without question. And he seems very humble and hungry to improve and work hard.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e77291/Locker-d-and-loaded

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Reaction score
This guy's problems are fixable. Pure mechanics. Drew Brees had the same problem coming out of the spread. He wont make it to the 2nd round IMO. He has all the intangibles you want, and he is very athletic. If Gabbert is gone and Locker is there, I would go for him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Locker would be an excellent choice for a team like the Jags to make at 16, or the Colts to make at 22 (Peyton Manning is 34, after all), or the Seahawks at 25 (if they can get 2 more years out of Hasselback).

I think that it might be hard to draft a quarterback early if you don't need one immediately until the new CBA comes into shape. If there is a rookie salary scale, it will likely limit the length of rookie contracts in the first round to 4 years (currently 5) and the top 10 to 5 years (currently 6). So if you draft Locker as a successor to Peyton Manning or David Garrard, you'll be looking to shell out two years or more of investment for no return for your first three years, then you have to decide if you want to continue to pour money into that player.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
my theory on why 2nd round QBs dont work out so well:

they are drafted high enough to have expectations associated with them, and pressure to play them --- but not so high enough to force teams to stick with them long enough to see if they make it.

Locker sure fits that bill.

Imagine this: Cards sign Bulger as the vet stop gap until the draftee is ready.

Scenario A is the draftee is either Gabbert or Newton at #5
Scenario B is the draftee is Locker at #37

Bulger gets hurt in week five, forcing the rookie into the lineup. Predictably, he struggles mightily over the final 11 games, Cards finish 3-13, 3rd worst record in the league. At #3 overall, the 2nd best QB in that draft will be available.

At that point, in scenario A, the team will stick with the rookie. In scenario B -- i am not so sure.

Its a long winded way of saying: dont waste a 2nd round pick on a Qb.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
But Locker has the fatal flaw that shows he'll likely struggle in the pros:

His accuracy SUCKS. Remarkably bad for college. Bill Walsh once said that completion percentage was the first stat he looked at for a QB, and Locker has never hit the 60% or above that you look for in a QB.

And he wasn't a winner in college. Say what you will about him being on a bad team, but good QBs will bad teams to win in college all the time. Everyone that wanted Cutler made the excuse that he didn't win because he was on a bad team, but they overlooked the fact that Jay Cutler didn't do enough to will the team to victory.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Jake Locker looks the part; he's got a nice arm and he's athletic.

But doesn't it concern anyone that he hasn't performed at the college level? Everyone likes dogging the PAC-10 as a subpar conference and Locker couldn't even make noise against the likes of WSU, ASU, OSU, etc.

IMO he looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. He's not a winner, he's inaccurate, and he'll continue to tease at the next level.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
my theory on why 2nd round QBs dont work out so well:

they are drafted high enough to have expectations associated with them, and pressure to play them --- but not so high enough to force teams to stick with them long enough to see if they make it.

Locker sure fits that bill.

Imagine this: Cards sign Bulger as the vet stop gap until the draftee is ready.

Scenario A is the draftee is either Gabbert or Newton at #5
Scenario B is the draftee is Locker at #37

Bulger gets hurt in week five, forcing the rookie into the lineup. Predictably, he struggles mightily over the final 11 games, Cards finish 3-13, 3rd worst record in the league. At #3 overall, the 2nd best QB in that draft will be available.

At that point, in scenario A, the team will stick with the rookie. In scenario B -- i am not so sure.

Its a long winded way of saying: dont waste a 2nd round pick on a Qb.

1. Skelton would probably come in this scenario
2. Drew Brees

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll agree that ARZ will probably draft a QB in Round 2 but I think its Mallett if he's there. I'm sure ARZ and every team is doing its due dilligence and background checks to look into the rumor swirling around him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Well, Mike Mayock has him listed as the #2 QB available, behind Gabbert. That's good enough for me...I think Mayock's judge of talent is 2nd to none among the talking heads on t.v.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
But Locker has the fatal flaw that shows he'll likely struggle in the pros:

His accuracy SUCKS. Remarkably bad for college. Bill Walsh once said that completion percentage was the first stat he looked at for a QB, and Locker has never hit the 60% or above that you look for in a QB.

And he wasn't a winner in college. Say what you will about him being on a bad team, but good QBs will bad teams to win in college all the time. Everyone that wanted Cutler made the excuse that he didn't win because he was on a bad team, but they overlooked the fact that Jay Cutler didn't do enough to will the team to victory.

Totally agree on Locker. Watching a lot of Pac-10 football, he's just not accurate. College qb's rarely become more accurate once they hit the NFL.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Number 10 to Washington.

A total reach, but Shannahan loves athletic, strong armed passers and has taken one before in the first round.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Totally agree on Locker. Watching a lot of Pac-10 football, he's just not accurate. College qb's rarely become more accurate once they hit the NFL.

And as strong as is arm is, his throws tend to hang and they don't come in as a nice spiral.

Guys I'm telling you, I'm certain Locker is going to never amount to anything. I wouldn't draft him in the third round. I love his athleticism, the only guys that are better are Newton and maybe Kaepernick, but Locker is a terrible passer.

IMO he's going to be a pick machine in the pros.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And as strong as is arm is, his throws tend to hang and they don't come in as a nice spiral.

Guys I'm telling you, I'm certain Locker is going to never amount to anything. I wouldn't draft him in the third round. I love his athleticism, the only guys that are better are Newton and maybe Kaepernick, but Locker is a terrible passer.

IMO he's going to be a pick machine in the pros.

Aside from questions about his abilities, I heard on TV the one night that he's considered leaving the sport for pro baseball. If we draft him in the 4th round thinking we got a steal, he could just leave us in the lurch.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
At worst someone is going to trade up to the tail end of the first to get Locker. Great athlete with a bit of a problem with positioning his feet in his drop back. Easily corrected, and there are none of the top 5, 6 QBs who don't a few flaws to correct.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
Aside from questions about his abilities, I heard on TV the one night that he's considered leaving the sport for pro baseball. If we draft him in the 4th round thinking we got a steal, he could just leave us in the lurch.

He was drafted in the '09 MLB draft by the Los Angeles Angels.

I'll pass on him and take Ponder in the second if he's there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05