IMO: Whisenhunt's "Impact Player" statement means immediate impact (No QB)

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can't say I 100% agree if this is his intention with the #1 pick, but it is encouraging if Whisenhunt really thinks we are an immediate impact player away from retaking the NFC West.

In looking at the top players, I would define impact player as being a player who is ready to contribute right away. A safe, highly productive player who you don't need to project or who doesn't need a ton of re-educating to learn an NFL system.

The following are players who based on this theory don't meet the immediate impact definition and who have been linked to the Cardinals #5 pick:

Blaine Gabbert: I put him here just because of the position he plays. Very smart guy, but played in a spread system and will need a ton of work on learning to play under center. I really like Gabbert and would not be opposed to us taking him, but I don't think he meets the immediate impact criteria.

Cam Newton: Same situation as Gabbert only more extreme. Not a good fit for the Cardinals in 2011. Maybe if we were patient and wanted a long term guy, but not as an immediate impact player.

Robert Quinn: As much as it pains me to admit this because Quinn is my favorite player in the draft, Quinn would fit into the great potential, but has to learn a new position type of player and would be considered a bit of a project as an outside backer. Great, great talent but probably a year away from making a true impact as an outside linebacker.

Players linked to the Cardinals at #5 who do meet the immediate impact criteria:

Von Miller: Terrific pass rusher, played in a 2 point stance and won't have as much of a transition to the NFL game as Quinn especially in learning the nuances of the outside linebacker position in the 3-4. When its all said and done, Miller is probably the Cardinals #1 choice but he most likely won't be available at #5.

Prince Amakamura: A bit of a reach for the 5th pick and may be a better selection if the Cardinals trade the 5th pick and move back to say #8 with the Titans. Excellent talent and a very polished player who moves into the starting role opposite DRC by the start of the regular season.

Patrick Peterson: When the Cardinals come on the clock on Thursday evening its very possible that Peterson will be the #1 rated player on their board. Terrific talent who steps in day #1 and makes an impact. With a creative defensive coordinator, can become a dynamic cover corner, slot corner, or safety in the Ed Reed mold.

In conclusion, I think Patrick Peterson becomes a Cardinal. I do think Von Miller is the #1 option but will be gone by pick #5. Robert Quinn is very intruiging, but having to make a position change and not playing for a year makes him too much of a risk at #5. Quinn comes into play if the Cardinals move down to say #8, #9, #10. He is less risky being taken in a lower draft slot. Patrick Peterson gives us the bigtime versatile athlete who makes an immediate impact just on his terrific athleticism alone.

The 2nd round guy I think the Cardinals are zeroing in on is Brooks Reed. He like Quinn is a conversion guy who played with his hand on the ground, but is obviously much less a risk by being picked at #38 instead of taking Quinn at #5.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this as well. There are two questions to ask which are what is Whiz's definition of "Impact Player" and the 2nd is how much smoke is in this statement.

IIRC Whiz's statement did imply that the impact player would be making an impact this year. So if it's not a smoke screen then I agree with your list of most likely's. I would say that Quinn is still an option as he would be used primarily as a pass rusher in obvious passing downs. O'Brien got playing time coming off a knee injury and without much time in a 2 point stance in college.

My hope and gut are telling me that if Gabbert is there then we pick him because no other position has more of an "impact" then QB. The impact won't be this year but in a year or two.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is the same thing that the team says every year. "We believe we have an opportunity to draft a player in the first round who is going to come in and really help this team." Blah blah blah blah blah.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They say they're getting an impact player every year,

see Brown, Levi and Wells, Beanie

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the same thing that the team says every year. "We believe we have an opportunity to draft a player in the first round who is going to come in and really help this team." Blah blah blah blah blah.
Roger that.

Yesterday appeared to be "Team Talks Draft to Fans" day in every NFL market across the nation.

Almost to a person, they all said the same thing about BPA approach, impact players, trade offers etc. - Namely that they'll either trade or keep the pick and they'll either pick a defensive or offensive player who can help the team.

Man! This week before the draft is moving awfully slow.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I don't think it is the same since Whiz is not prone to play a rookie. He will if he has too. So saying the 1st round pick needs to be an immediate impact is different then 'Blah, blah, blah...'

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Von Miller and Patrick Petersen are the two players that can make Whiz' immediate impact list. If Gabbert is there, the Cardinals are going to be giddy deciding whether to draft him or trade down. I'll go with Petersen as the Cardinals pick. I like quality CBs. Never can have enough.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
If the Cardinals have any plans to take a QB via the draft, it's best to take one and get the process started.

If a first tier QB is available when you're drafting, then you take your shot if you like him. Later round guys work out sometimes but it's clear that in recent years it's been about the top 1 or 2 guys and then a huge risk with everyone else.

The Rams played this game for quite a few years passing on Ryan, Sanchez, Freeman, Flacco, etc. and look at the guys they got instead. Jason Smith(solid but at #2 overall?), Chris Long(also not bad but hardly the impact a #2 overall should have).

My point is, making the safe pick doesn't always mean getting an impact player from day 1. And it most certainly means setting back the process of developing a QB if you likely plan to have get one at some point anyway.

I think the Cardinals would be unwise to pass on Gabbart. Gabbert's 6'5", smart, clean personality, loves football, seems to fit what the Cardinals do and is highly marketable. Just can't ask for too much more than that when drafting a QB. That you could get at #5 in a QB hungry draft.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Cardinals have any plans to take a QB via the draft, it's best to take one and get the process started.

If a first tier QB is available when you're drafting, then you take your shot if you like him. Later round guys work out sometimes but it's clear that in recent years it's been about the top 1 or 2 guys and then a huge risk with everyone else.

The Rams played this game for quite a few years passing on Ryan, Sanchez, Freeman, Flacco, etc. and look at the guys they got instead. Jason Smith(solid but at #2 overall?), Chris Long(also not bad but hardly the impact a #2 overall should have).

My point is, making the safe pick doesn't always mean getting an impact player from day 1. And it most certainly means setting back the process of developing a QB if you likely plan to have get one at some point anyway.

I think the Cardinals would be unwise to pass on Gabbart. Gabbert's 6'5", smart, clean personality, loves football, seems to fit what the Cardinals do and is highly marketable. Just can't ask for too much more than that when drafting a QB. That you could get at #5 in a QB hungry draft.

Now this I can agree with. :)

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

That actually makes a ton of sense.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Gabbert is there at #5 and the Cards pass, then I will have the sneaking suspicion that there is a tentative deal in place for a QB using 2012 picks. Something that would be announced the day the owners and players ratify a new CBA.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
points taken of for your almost irrelevant Ram reference. Only kidding.

I like your thoughts in this posts.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every quarterback in this draft is a gamble. This is not like most drafts where there is a "sure thing" type of quarterback available.

You do not gamble with the 5th pick. Take the sure thing with the 5th pick and gamble in round 2.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The Cardinals say they've gotten offers for their 1st round pick every year...but they stay put. Expect that again.

One of these three impact players will be the #5 pick:

Von Miller
A.J. Green
Patrick Peterson

Assuming at least one of them is on the board at #5.

If not...maybe the Cardinals do trade down this time.

The swing pick is Buffalo's---if they don't take Miller, and no team trades up to Cincy's #4 spot, Von Miller will be a Cardinal.

I am thinking it may well go like this:

1-CAR: Newton
2-DEN: Green
3-BUF: Dareus
4-CIN: Peterson
5-ARI: Miller

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
IMO, Von Miller and Patrick Petersen are the two players that can make Whiz' immediate impact list. If Gabbert is there, the Cardinals are going to be giddy deciding whether to draft him or trade down. I'll go with Petersen as the Cardinals pick. I like quality CBs. Never can have enough.

I agree with you on Peterson. Miller goes to Buffalo, Cincy goes Green, Cards go Peterson and never look back.

I just cannot see Whiz going into the season with Gabbert, Skelton, and some back-up. When the labor situation is over, I see Whiz grabbing a vet (Bulger or Kolb).

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
The Cardinals say they've gotten offers for their 1st round pick every year...but they stay put. Expect that again.

Von Miller
A.J. Green
Patrick Peterson

The swing pick is Buffalo's---if they don't take Miller, and no team trades up to Cincy's #4 spot, Von Miller will be a Cardinal.

Denver needs too much help on defense, Cincy needs a big time reciever. JMHO.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with you on Peterson. Miller goes to Buffalo, Cincy goes Green, Cards go Peterson and never look back.

I just cannot see Whiz going into the season with Gabbert, Skelton, and some back-up. When the labor situation is over, I see Whiz grabbing a vet (Bulger or Kolb).

This makes more sense than anything I've read. I'll be tickled if that's how it plays out.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think the Cards have one of two plans at QB. If they draft Gabbert, they'll sign Bulger for a year until Gabbert is ready. If they take Miller or PP then I think they'll try and swing a trade for Kolb/Palmer using 2012 picks. One way or another, a veteran is going to be under center in 2011.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Von Miller
A.J. Green
Patrick Peterson

What if it goes like this...
2-DEN: Dareus
3-BUF: Miller
5-ARI: ???

We could have a trade partner here from a team looking for receiver or QB. The other options would be Robert Quinn or Amukumara. I would consider trading back and taking Aldon Smith who is quite similar to Quinn.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Yep, me too. Then pray like hell Brooks Reed falls to the second. That kid is a beast.
I think Brooks Reed is being way overrated. People want to compare him to Clay Matthews and I think that is a long reach. Other than having long hair, there's nothing I see that compares to Matthews. He' not nearly as fluid or explosive as Matthews is. I'd take him in round 3. To me, he has Bobby Carpenter written all over him.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think the Cards have one of two plans at QB. If they draft Gabbert, they'll sign Bulger for a year until Gabbert is ready. If they take Miller or PP then I think they'll try and swing a trade for Kolb/Palmer using 2012 picks. One way or another, a veteran is going to be under center in 2011.

One question. How are the Cardinals going to be able to afford this? Gabbert will cost $30-50 million guaranteed. Bulger, if K9 is right, will cost another $10-12 million. Would the Cards be willing to invest that much money in one position? How big would the signing bonuses be? That money has to be paid right away. The Bidwills don't have the deep pockets of a Dan Snyder.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One question. How are the Cardinals going to be able to afford this? Gabbert will cost $30-50 million guaranteed. Bulger, if K9 is right, will cost another $10-12 million. Would the Cards be willing to invest that much money in one position? How big would the signing bonuses be? That money has to be paid right away.

CBA could make a HUGE dent in those 30-50 million dollar guaranteed as it seems like the rookies might get subject to a NBA-like slotting system.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One question. How are the Cardinals going to be able to afford this? Gabbert will cost $30-50 million guaranteed. Bulger, if K9 is right, will cost another $10-12 million. Would the Cards be willing to invest that much money in one position? How big would the signing bonuses be? That money has to be paid right away. The Bidwills don't have the deep pockets of a Dan Snyder.

No way Gabbert will cost that on the new rookie wage scale that will most certainly be in place.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No way Gabbert will cost that on the new rookie wage scale that will most certainly be in place.

What if the new CBA includes a rookie wage scale that starts in 2012? What if there isn't any rookie wage scale and reports they have already agreed to it are off. What if an injunction is issued that forces the NFL to operate under the old agreement for 2011?

This draft is really going to be interesting.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...certainty-could-limit-trades-at-top-of-draft/

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2011/3...r-goodells-letter-no-rookie-wage-scale-agreed

As of now, no one knows what rules will be in place before or after the draft. A rookie wage scale could be implemented, or not. That depends, in all likelihood, on whether the NFL operates under court-ordered or collectively bargained parameters.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...uestions-few-answers-in-current-nfl-landscape

Last edited: