In defense of Robert Sarver

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
There are a lot of things I don't like about Robert Sarver. I didn't like that he paid $400m for the Suns; I don't like that he really didn't pay $400m, but used accounting tricks to make it look like he did. I don't like that his background is in real estate (the other real estate baron in the NBA: Donald Sterling), or that he made his money in an investment bubble, like Mark Cuban.

I don't like Sarver's arrogant, look-at-me attitude; I don't like his stupid kids, or the way he's psychologically scarring them by putting them in the public's eye. I really don't like the fact that he's dead set on avoiding the luxury tax, regardless of the circumstances. I also don't like what I've heard about his management practices.

When I first found out that Sarver refused to commit to a $45m/6yr extension for Joe Johnson, I nearly fell out of my chair. (IIRC, we were arguing about $60m/6yr that summer, with me being somewhat in favor of making that commitment.)

That said, it's wrong IMO that Sarver is catching heat for the current situation. As far as I can tell, what happened in this case is that Sarver got played for a rube by the Colangelos, who are in the process of giving the Suns and Phoenix another middle finger on their way out of town.

If you remember back when JC sold the team, a year and half ago, the principals were all very clear as to their intentions. Sarver wanted to run the team, but he knew that he was clueless about the business of the NBA, so part of the deal was that JC would continue to manage things for the next three years. Also as part of the deal, Bryan Colangelo was given a three year contract, with an ownership stake--the idea being that, if BC grew into the job, he would stay on at the end of the three-year period.

However, JC also got Sarver to agree to include an out clause for Bryan. The only justification I can see for that (not a usual practice, especially where guaranteed contracts are concerned) is that BC was expected to be the junior decision-maker, and that JC would still be in charge for the full three years.

Of course, a year later, when JC washed his hands of the Suns for good, he delegated his responsibilities to BC; and now, BC has high-tailed it a year and a half early--at the very first opportunity. Those two are now counting their money, and Sarver is holding the bag: not only does he still have no idea what he's doing, he's also completely unprepared to take the reins, because BC gave him essentially no notice that he would be skipping out in the middle of the season.

The real loser in all this? The Suns (and by extension, their fans). Now, the team winds up with Jr. Stockboy as the GM, with no guarantee he'll go back to his old job if Sarver manages to find a decent replacement; and worse, BC will be raiding the Suns of as many coaches and managers as he can carry away. And, believe me, if and when the Suns go down in flames, you can be sure there won't be any sympathy or help from David Stern et. al.; all of the "real NBA people" will be having a good laugh at the fast one that Mr. Colangelo managed to pull on the Suns' new (and nouveau riche) owner.

As for the negotiations themselves, I have no problem with the way Sarver handled them. Offering to negotiate an extension rather than renegotiating the current contract is a sound practice that's common throughout the sports world--BC and Sarver just finished doing the same thing in signing Mike D'Antoni to an extension. BC is a different case because of the extra leverage provided by his contract, but I can see how renegotiating his current deal sets a bad precedent for the Suns moving forward.

What I can't see is why BC is being portrayed as the victim here. When a contract is guaranteed one way, and the guy with the guarantee tries to use that to get more money by bullying the other party at an inopportune moment, that guy is always the bad guy. How many people sided with Larry Brown against (Pistons owner) William Davidson? How many sided with Latrell Sprewell or Sam Cassell against Kevin McHale? But now, because Robert Sarver is the aggrieved party, everything is different?

It will surprise me if Sarver doesn't immediately run the franchise into the ground with his arrogance and incompetence, but I'll take him any day over the Colangelos. Those two are dead to me now. I spit in their general direction.

Ptui. :mad:

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
It will surprise me if Sarver doesn't immediately run the franchise into the ground with his arrogance and incompetence, but I'll take him any day over the Colangelos. Those two are dead to me now. I spit in their general direction.

I spit with you, F the Colangelo's!!!! You made good points, hopefully having the Nucleous of a good team in place and already signed together for atleast 3 seasons, the transition won't be hard on the franchise

Last edited:

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
F-Dog said:

I agree with the first part. I think he will run the franchise into the ground. I, on the other hand, will be thankful for 3 decades of winning, classy basketball, and will save the classless spiting to you.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
newfan101 said:
I agree with the first part. I think he will run the franchise into the ground.

Come on. Where's your evidence of this?

You can't bring up JJ or BC, since they both requested to leave, which Sarver accomodated. What else makes him being a danger of running the team into the ground?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
I spit with you, F the Colangelo's!!!! You made good points, hopefully having the Nucleous of a good team in place and already signed together for atleast 3 seasons, the transition won'e be hard on the franchise

Oh yeah cause Sarver's done so much more for the city than the colangelo's

/rolles eyes

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
You can't bring up JJ or BC, since they both requested to leave, which Sarver accomodated. What else makes him being a danger of running the team into the ground?

I guess the question here is why did they both request to leave. If they wanted to get away from Sarver and the way that he manages things, then there definitely could be a problem.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Treesquid said:

/rolles eyes

I agree with you that the C's have done an amazing amount of good for the city of Phoenix, but if it was really THAT important to Bryan, he wouldn't be going to Toronto.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
fordronken said:
So what...everybody sucks?

No, just the Colangelos, Sterling, Sprewell, and the internet. Can't you read?

Oh, and you, for asking. Hater.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I for one, I guess, appreciate the Colangelos bringing professional sports to AZ. Dbacks and Suns are great franchises. I only wish they had brought football to AZ. No matter how you feel about what they've done over the years, I'd be proud to shake their hands and thank them for bringing these franchises to AZ. :)

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Azlen said:
I guess the question here is why did they both request to leave. If they wanted to get away from Sarver and the way that he manages things, then there definitely could be a problem.

transistions always have their issues but it sure seems like Sarver is at a mimimum weak in the soft skills area, but very very good at PR.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
I do know that Bryan Colangelo had the Suns wallowing in perennial mediocrity before Sarver bought the team.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
It wasn't long ago when BC was thought of as a bad GM only there because of his dad. Sarver shows up, things change. They both deserve praise for the success.

As far as all the moves pre-Sarver, didn't people think it was still Jerry making the decisions, basketball-wise? Wasn't it Jerry that saw Amare's workout and said "That's my guy"?

BC is a solid GM, but the world won't end with him leaving, and Sarver knows this.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I agree with you that the C's have done an amazing amount of good for the city of Phoenix, but if it was really THAT important to Bryan, he wouldn't be going to Toronto.

Well, apparently all the good and ties were not worth an extra 2mil plus CONTROL. Giant egos cant get along together, its always been the case. I expect Sarver to be an A__ ,as he's a self made man in real estate. That is he's really done nothing for anyone but himself all his life, but I expect that. BC's big ego is harder to understand, unless he takes credit for his Dads good work. I think we should all chip in and buy him a goose down jock, so he can be ready for the pissing post contests he'll inevitably have with other raptor execs and coaches.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Azlen said:

If it were anybody else, I agree, that would be an excellent question.

However, Jerry Colangelo (and by extension, Bryan) had "400 million" reasons to suck it up and honor their three-year commitments. If they can't handle that, they shouldn't have made it part of the original deal.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
newfan101 said:
I agree with the first part. I think he will run the franchise into the ground. I, on the other hand, will be thankful for 3 decades of winning, classy basketball, and will save the classless spiting to you.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, too. :)

Personally, I think the Colangelos' legacy is somewhat tarnished by the way they welshed on their commitment, while sneaking out as many of the team's assets as they could get their hands on, but I understand that others might feel differently.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Come on. Where's your evidence of this?

um, maybe the fact that he has absolutely no basketball background other than the year he's gotten to observe from the colangeli?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
um, maybe the fact that he has absolutely no basketball background other than the year he's gotten to observe from the colangeli?

That holds no water, and you know it. There is no evidence that Sarver has wanted complete control over anything, let alone basketball decisions.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sarver is a smart business man, you aren't successful in business by taking control over everything. You bring in key people to delegate and make the decisions for you. Colangelo had to go, there was no back room dealings, there was no hurt feelings or brused egos. This is a business like the offices we all go to everyday. Sarver will find a basketball mind as his replacement....

besides, this team will not need an elite GM for a few years, the nucleus is here, we just need to resign Diaw....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Sarver is a smart business man, you aren't successful in business by taking control over everything. You bring in key people to delegate and make the decisions for you. Colangelo had to go, there was no back room dealings, there was no hurt feelings or brused egos. This is a business like the offices we all go to everyday. Sarver will find a basketball mind as his replacement....

besides, this team will not need an elite GM for a few years, the nucleus is here, we just need to resign Diaw....

Exactly. Perfectly put.

scotsman13

Reaction score
for me i would shake the Colangelos hands and tell them thank you for the great times. 35+ years as the 5th most successful team in the nba should count for something. now as far as sarver i will give him the chance to prove that it is more then the Colangelos that made this team something special. i am a suns fan for more then being in arizona and that being the team there, i am a suns fan because i like the style of basketball this team has tried to play in their history. if what we see out of sarver is a slow it down team then i will be looking for a new team to get my money but if he continues to make this a fun running team then he will get my money for the forseeable future.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
I'm just not going to let this crap bother me. Does it suck JC is leaving? Yes. Do I think the show will go on? Yes. Do I think Sarver is Sterling-lite? No.

Scenario: The Suns catch fire when Amare returns, and win the NBA title this year.

Will we even care JC left? Wouldn't the city want to put Sarver's mug up on Camelback Mtn.?

That's short-term.

Long-term, this team has it's core (Nash, Stat, Marion). And, a ton of potentially great draft picks. If he tries to shed payroll, and deal away our future... then we may have something to bitch about.

But, until we see this happen... let's just enjoy another great season (albeit 75% w/o Amare).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Add me to the group that is appreciative of the Colangelos, but there is a point where the team needed to move on, and while the timing here isn't the greatest, at least it is in a time where the team's popularity is soaring and they are definitely contenders to the title for years to come.