In Hindsight, I wish we made Grimm the HC

dinesh15

Rookie
Reaction score
I wish we had hired Grimm as the HC. My wish was only based on the kind of year that Ben R is having and how he was limited by Ken when he was the OC there. This year, with Ken gone, Ben is having the year of his career. 32 TDs and very few INTs.

Anyways, seeing how Ken just wants his QB to manage and the Running game and defense to win the game for his team, I think Ken would prefer Matt at QB than the gunslinger Kurt. I am concerned if we have the personnel for the kinda team Ken wants.. I also wonder how Fitz and Q would like a team dominating with the running game and defense. what are those two REAL No1 WRs doing in a team with such an approach??

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish we had hired Grimm as the HC. My wish was only based on the kind of year that Ben R is having and how he was limited by Ken when he was the OC there. This year, with Ken gone, Ben is having the year of his career. 32 TDs and very few INTs.

Anyways, seeing how Ken just wants his QB to manage and the Running game and defense to win the game for his team, I think Ken would prefer Matt at QB than the gunslinger Kurt. I am concerned if we have the personnel for the kinda team Ken wants.. I also wonder how Fitz and Q would like a team dominating with the running game and defense. what are those two REAL No1 WRs doing in a team with such an approach??
IThere was a million of these threads before the season started, but since then the team has thrown more than they have ran. Before you go blaming Ken for Ben's past play you have gotta consider a few things. Ben has more experience now, better recievers and wasn't in any life-threatening accidents in the offseason.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes you think Grimm's offense would look any different?

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Maybe the Cards had to throw more because Grimm couldn't get the offensive line to properly run block?

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
oh...you mean the Ken Whisenhunt that took a rookie qb under his wing and led him to a SuperBowl Championship....ok just making sure.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
oh...you mean the Ken Whisenhunt that took a rookie qb under his wing and led him to a SuperBowl Championship....ok just making sure.

By all acounts he was still under the thumb of Cowher and the reason why they ran the ball 62% of the time that year. He didnt rely in his QB that year.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

What, you mean last year, when Big Ben was motorcycle wrecked and under the knife? You know, the year everyone writes off because of his recovery? That year? Okay, thanks.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I always find it baffling when people talk about Ben being SO much better without Whiz. Really, how bad did Ben suck under Whiz? Oh yeah..

He had a 99 QB rating and won the Super Bowl. Yeah, that's just awful.

I realize that Ben's overall numbers are a little better since Whiz left, but that's due to many reasons, one being a more pass oriented offense then what the Steelers previously ran. As much as I dislike Rothlesburger, the fact is, a certain amount of it is his overall talent as well. Ben had that horrible year when Whiz was there, and people think Whiz was the reason. The 2006 Steelers were a bad team that featured an injured QB, of course the numbers were down. None of the problems on that team in '06 was the fault of Whiz. Ben made it sound like Whiz was the problem because Ben is a cry baby that can't take the blame himself for making a bad decision and playing when he was not physically able. To insist that Whiz was a bad coordinator is just silly. Ben played under Whiz for 3 years, 2 of which were very good years for him, with 2005 being a Super Bowl season. Just because it fell apart for Ben in 2006 he blamed Whiz. As far as the theory that Wide Receivers can't flourish in Whiz offense, I have 2 words for that..

Heinz Ward.

If you just want to find a reason to hate Whiz, then ok, but don't pick Ben Rothlesburger's numbers because that logic is a joke. Ben is the product of Cower and Whiz's system. If anything, they made him what he is today.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Grimm was the HC, there's a damn good chance Whisenhunt would've been the OC anyhow. If I'm going to second-guess anything, I'm more inclined to say we should've kept Loney as oline coach instead of Grimm.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

SHHHHHHHHHH!!! Don't tell anyone, but Grimm left "the Burgh" too.