In Warner's defense

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Let me repeat that ... WARNER SAID IT WAS HIS FAULT.
That's not really what I was talking about. Yes, it was still a fumble. Yes, it still lost the game. Yes, it was on top of everything else. But, he didn't just drop it. That's a lot more encouraging than the alternative. That's my point.

Reaction score
That's not really what I was talking about. Yes, it was still a fumble. Yes, it still lost the game. Yes, it was on top of everything else. But, he didn't just drop it. That's a lot more encouraging than the alternative. That's my point.
Warner pulled out too quickly from under the center; the snap from Step was never secured by Warner; the ball was out prior to any contact by Brown! It was on the freakin' jumbo-screen at the stadium in slo-motion closeup. That fumble was Warner's fault. Watch it again mok, you'll see Warners hands withdrawing before the ball is secure in his grasp. Kurt has acknowledged as much, "It was my fault."

Every one that has ever played QB has done the same a time or three. The only reason this one is such a big deal is it changed the outcome of the game. Of course, there was always the possibility that the FG could have been botched somehow also....

Warner is the starter, I am fine with that, let's just hope this Sunday he has a better day than the last two Sundays...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
DJ, we're going to get you a complete golf package with spa treatments when you're back out here.... or some of T.O.'s magic goofy pills. It'll be OK - maybe not this season, but it'll work out.

That's what my grandfather said in 1965. I'm still waiting.

Did you know that since 2000 the Cards have had records of 3-13,4-12,5-11,6-10,and 7-9? So I'm changing my prediction to either 2-14 or 8-8.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lastly, the game killing fumble was indeed knocked out of Warner's hands by his own guard. The guard was pulling left and poked the ball out with his left hand. It's still not a good thing that it was knocked out of Warner's hands that easily but it wasn't, as I had originally thought, a case of Warner just dropping the snap.

Watch it in slow motion and keep your eyes on the ball itself. The ball's bottom forward tip makes contact with Step's ass and moves up and 90 degrees, squirting out of Kurt's hands. You can see several frames when this motion on the ball is happening, that Brown's hand is below the play, away from the ball. When the ball is fully loose, Brown's hand comes up so perhaps he hit the ball then. It isn't even clear that he hit it then either, as the ball doesn't take an immediate forward trajectory.

Kurt admitted it was his fault, the tape backs it up. I looked at this play more than 50 times, in slow mo of the slow mo replay and it is clear the ball was fumbled because the bottom of the forward point was drug across Step's ass forcing the ball to shoot upwards and out at a 90 degree angle...that is Kurt's fault.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kurt admitted it was his fault, the tape backs it up. I looked at this play more than 50 times, in slow mo of the slow mo replay and it is clear the ball was fumbled because the bottom of the forward point was drug across Step's ass forcing the ball to shoot upwards and out at a 90 degree angle...that is Kurt's fault.

Oh the imagery!

Maybe Step's butt was sweaty and that's why Kurt was yelling at him, keep your butt dry so the ball isn't so slick?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh the imagery!

Maybe Step's butt was sweaty and that's why Kurt was yelling at him, keep your butt dry so the ball isn't so slick?

Kurt: Gold Bond that big butt, Step!! How do you expect me to get a clean snap??

Step: Dude, look at me, I'm a sweaty, mangy dude. You think I don't know that? I Johnson's powder my butt every quarter.

Great conversation. Too bad these guys weren't miked.