Injuries complicate Cardinals’ final cuts

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
By Darren Urban, Tribune

Cardinals coach Dennis Green said Friday he would wait until Sunday’s deadline before making the final cuts on his 53-man roster.
But Green also dropped some hints about how that roster might take shape.

While talking about Larry Fitzgerald and Bryant Johnson, Green mentioned having five receivers plus the injured Anquan Boldin. Karl Williams is already a lock and Nate Poole seems to have played his way into a spot, so the final hole will likely be between Kevin Kasper and Reggie Newhouse.

Green raved about offensive lineman Nick Leckey, a sixth-round pick. He was less certain about defensive end Antonio Smith, a fifth-round selection. Defensive tackle Wendell Bryant has improved, Green said, but is still far behind starter Russell Davis on the depth chart.

Green also praised running back Troy Hambrick and defensive end Peppi Zellner, acquired earlier this week in a trade from Oakland.

Fouling up some of Green’s roster plans are the number of lingering injuries. There was no new news on either the back of safety Dexter Jackson or the groin of cornerback Duane Starks and no knowledge if either player is anywhere close to returning.

Backup tackle L.J. Shelton, meanwhile, had his bad back flare up during warmups in Denver and his two bulging discs are cause for concern. Now linebacker Raynoch Thompson has, at the least, a serious knee sprain.

Green said that while injuries are part of the game, they would make his final cuts harder.

What is evident is that Green likes the way his roster is headed.

"I think there are guys on the team that really want to win," Green said, declining to name them. "But they expect the team to win and expect me to run it the way I said I would because that gives them the best chance to win."

How the roster has performed is a slightly different story. Green said the offense will perform better now that the regular season is starting, a progression he said must come quickly.

"For us to be a playoff team we have to play considerably better than we played on offense," Green said. "I don’t think there is any doubt about that."

Quarterback Josh McCown had good statistics in the preseason, collecting an 85.5 quarterback rating and completing 66 percent of his passes. He threw no touchdown passes but didn’t throw an interception either.

He preferred to play safe much of the time, defending the idea of settling for field goals early in the game against the Broncos on Thursday night, and his coach agreed with the strategy. In fact, Green said if he was worried about anything it was McCown getting too risky.

"He is a gunslinger," Green said. "He has to resist the urge to do too much."

If Johnson and Fitzgerald return from injuries for the Sept. 12 opener — which they are scheduled to do — the offense will benefit. Green said both should slide into the offense despite missing much practice time, although he also said the Cardinals shouldn’t have to depend on them.

McCown echoed those thoughts.

"I’m not going to shortchange any of our (backup) receivers," McCown said. "I don’t think there has ever been a point in the red zone thinking, ‘Man, if we only had these (starters), we’d be better.’ "

EXTRA POINTS: Green had no update on Thompson, who underwent an MRI Friday on the sprain that Thompson worried Thursday night might be worse.

Hambrick reportedly weighs around 260 pounds, much more than the 233 he is listed on the roster. But Green said it wasn’t an issue as long as Hambrick was able to produce. "I never get after guys about their weight," Green said. "Troy played fine (Thursday)."

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=27469

NavyVet

Registered
Reaction score
Hambrick reportedly weighs around 260 pounds, much more than the 233 he is listed on the roster. But Green said it wasn’t an issue as long as Hambrick was able to produce. "I never get after guys about their weight," Green said. "Troy played fine (Thursday)."

So, the issue with Shelton wasn't about weight then?

TXCardinalsFan

Feeling no pain
Reaction score
260 lbs? What, was Hambrick hanging out at the Twinki and Ho-Ho outlet stores in Oakland???? I'd hate to think that all that extra weight is fat, but you never can tell.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
TXCardinalsFan said:
260 lbs? What, was Hambrick hanging out at the Twinki and Ho-Ho outlet stores in Oakland???? I'd hate to think that all that extra weight is fat, but you never can tell.

As long as he can get the first down on third and short, who cares what his weight is?

I bet these guys are gonners:

Anderson, Damien
Rhinehart, Coby
Cason, Aveion
Croom, Larry (ps)
Mayes, Adrian (ps)
Rue, Joshua
Smith, Shaun
Grace, Steve
Shelton, L.J. (IR)
Hilliard, Cedric
Hamilton, Lawrence
Johnson, Dennis
Jackson, Dexter (IR)
Kasper, Kevin -This is a tough call, could be Poole- Green likes youngsters, so Newhouse gets a spot.
Candu Cantu goes on the PS.

There's going to ge three really tough calls, which is a good thing. How often do the Cardinals have more than 53 good players on thier team by the fourth preseason game? Injuries will make this hard for Graves and Green.

Last edited:

Rams4evah

Veteran
Reaction score
Oran said:
As long as he can get the first down on third and short, who cares what his weight is?

I bet these guys are gonners:

Anderson, Damien
Rhinehart, Coby
Cason, Aveion
Croom, Larry (ps)
Mayes, Adrian (ps)
Rue, Joshua
Smith, Shaun
Grace, Steve
Shelton, L.J. (IR)
Hilliard, Cedric
Hamilton, Lawrence
Johnson, Dennis
Jackson, Dexter (IR)
Kasper, Kevin -This is a tough call, could be Poole- Green likes youngsters, so Newhouse gets a spot.
Candu Cantu goes on the PS.

There's going to ge three really tough calls, which is a good thing. How often do the Cardinals have more than 53 good players on thier team by the fourth preseason game? Injuries will make this hard for Graves and Green.

Dennis Johnson will go to the Rams if he drops that far on the waver wire Marmie needs more defense ends.

Last edited:

spanky1

Reaction score
Oran,

We'll know soon enough. I question some of your choices however.

a)On Anderson, I agree that he'll be cut.
b) On Cason, why bring him in, give him no playing time and then cut him. I think Green has a plan for him.
c)Rhinehart......we're pretty darn thin at CB in light of Jackson's health. I think that Jackson goes on PUP and not IR.
d)Mayes, I agree he's headed to the PS.
e)Smith (DT). Again, I think Green sees something here. Instead of him being cut, I see Kolodziej going.
f) Grace. I agree he is likely gone.
g) LJ goes to PUP before IR.
h)Hilliard. Has TREMENDOUS upside. He goes to PS.
i)Hamilton. I agree he gets cut.
j)D.Johnson. Unfortunately he'll likely get cut. This "bums" me out.
k)D. Jackson goes on to PUP before IR.
l)With Hodgins on IR, Rue makes the team.

I see Lindsay getting the heave ho, A. Smith getting the heave ho.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
TXCardinalsFan said:
They must have given him Yusef Scott's old locker and he found his secret stash. Not to be confused with the stash they found in Dennis McKinley's locker :?

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Oran,

We'll know soon enough. I question some of your choices however.

a)On Anderson, I agree that he'll be cut.
b) On Cason, why bring him in, give him no playing time and then cut him. I think Green has a plan for him.
c)Rhinehart......we're pretty darn thin at CB in light of Jackson's health. I think that Jackson goes on PUP and not IR.
d)Mayes, I agree he's headed to the PS.
e)Smith (DT). Again, I think Green sees something here. Instead of him being cut, I see Kolodziej going.
f) Grace. I agree he is likely gone.
g) LJ goes to PUP before IR.
h)Hilliard. Has TREMENDOUS upside. He goes to PS.
i)Hamilton. I agree he gets cut.
j)D.Johnson. Unfortunately he'll likely get cut. This "bums" me out.
k)D. Jackson goes on to PUP before IR.
l)With Hodgins on IR, Rue makes the team.

I see Lindsay getting the heave ho, A. Smith getting the heave ho.

I'm 99% sure that D. Jackson can't go on the PUP list again. Rue hasn't done enough to earn a spot, and my feeling is that Cason was brought in here to challenge Scobey, but Scobey had a good game in Denver so Cason sat and will be cut. We'll soon see... :shrug:

I also agree that Johnson will become a Ram if he gets cut.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05