Insider - Jan. 6th, More trades coming for Suns & Knicks

cly2tw

Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
This is a smaller thing, but I would like to see Shawn Marion develop a decent shot fake to get his defenders in the air. Right now he hardly sells the shot before he tries to drive to the basket. Everybody and their mom knows when he is going to actually shoot, and when he is going to try to drive. He's extremely quick. That's for sure. I also think his ballhandling is underrated because everybody criticizes it so much. If he can just get his defenders a little bit off-balance he will blow right by them and create opportunities for himself and his teammates.

Joe Mama

The reason that he is not able to do the fake is that he is extremely quick but can't properly control his body. In short, he is not a smoothly moving player like Pippen was. It's like as if he always carries too much inertia with his running or jumping, so that once in motion, or in the air, he is committed to doing just one thing but cannot maneuver like most reasonably good NBA players. This deficiency is also evident in his defensive moves, that he bites too often on the head fakes without being able to recover like a Payton can.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This debate continues to run in circles. It might be easier if we agreed as to which outside guys we would prefer over Marion. My guess is that it might include:

Kolbe
McGrady
Pierce
Alllen
Carter

What these guys have in common is that they are excellant outside shooters that can make their own shot. That's what the team is missing and that's why they want to be able to go for a free agent.

Marion's game reminds me a bit of that of early James Worthy, except that Worthy had Magic to get him the ball on cuts. Eventually Worthy developed an excellant jump shot, but they won some championships before he became a serious outside threat.

I have been concerned that Marbury's style and Marion's style were incompatable. Barbosa and Eisley are more likely to change their style to fit Marion's need to get the ball on cuts rather than beyond the arc.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by cly2tw
Joe,

it's my sentiment exactly. I'm also hoping Marion would improve a bit, now we are basically stuck with him.:(

How can we be "stuck" with Shawn Marion? That's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
How can we be "stuck" with Shawn Marion? That's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

The Phoenix Suns are not "stuck" with Shawn Marion. They are "stuck" with his maximum contract.

Joe Mama

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05