Interesting Comments

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
No amare is a fool, the playoffs are different and if he hasnt learned that by now, he's an idiot. Coaches cook up special defenses to take you out of what you are comfortable with, to make you go another way. You have to take what the defense gives, not just plow your way into the defense regardless. This statement shows that amare doesnt understand adjustments and strategy, not suprising at all actually. Welcome to playoff basketball amare, youre way over your head, the "cerebral weak link" of the team.

You are exactly right. Besides this though, this is the part that pissed me off as well:
Amare Stoudemire offered no words of support for D'Antoni -- "That's not my focus at all," Stoudemire said -- and was much more willing to expound on the need for the Suns to find a plan and stick with it, most importantly establishing who is going to be The Man on this team. Not surprisingly, he nominated himself.

I have no problem with Amare being "the man" but being "the man" means more than you getting the ball and taking a shot on every possession. Magic Johnson was "the man". Michael Jordan was "the man". Hakeem was "the man". Larry Bird was "the man". Shaq was "the man".
"THE MAN" leads his team, does whatever his team needs him to do, recognizes when his teammates have an advantage and they help them exploit that advanatage instead of throwing them under the bus.

Amare is not "the man" as it stands right now.

nowagimp

Reaction score
You are exactly right. Besides this though, this is the part that pissed me off as well:

I have no problem with Amare being "the man" but being "the man" means more than you getting the ball and taking a shot on every possession. Magic Johnson was "the man". Michael Jordan was "the man". Hakeem was "the man". Larry Bird was "the man". Shaq was "the man".
"THE MAN" leads his team, does whatever his team needs him to do, recognizes when his teammates have an advantage and they help them exploit that advanatage instead of throwing them under the bus.

Amare is not "the man" as it stands right now.

If amare wants to know how to be the man, he needs to look no further than Tim Duncan. Amare is just a boy next to TD who plays real defense, rebounds with the best, and adapts to the defensive strategy of the opposition. Damn, "the man" took amare to school on the glass, and on the low block, and embarrassed him on national TV 5 times.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
So OBVIOUSLY our offense didnt get better, its our defense that got better. Changing our offense HURT this team big time especially since we didnt play like that all year long like Amare said.

What worked was our defensive strategy in game 4 and 5.

Did you not consider that maybe the Spurs defense got better as well? Regular and playoff seasons are completely different. It's about making adjustments and countering the adjustments the other team has employed. You cannot just play one way ie the way you played all year in one game scenarios.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Fickle fans we are. Just a week ago, we (not me) were calling for Diaw to be castrated to show his true gender.

:shrug:

no doubt, it's hilarious how diaw is fooling these people again. Diaw over time will remain the most inconsistent player in suns history. 2 good games over Michael Finley and half the board is ready for a max extension. Bank on this, suns fans will be calling for his head within 3 games next season. Trade low, buy high the mantra of the ASFN message board.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Fickle fans we are. Just a week ago, we (not me) were calling for Diaw to be castrated to show his true gender.

I was calling out Doris. Doris disappeared and Dirty Diaw appeared.
I think players need to be called out when they are doing something wrong. They also need to be rewarded and acknowledged when they redeem themselves and start playing well.

I am not sure what your point is- if we call someone out and they respond and start doing the right thing, do we not acknowledge that?

If one of your subordinates at work is not doing their job and you call them out and they respond to it and start doing their job and take their work to the next level do you not acknowledge that and reward them?

If your kid is lying or being disobedient and you sit down and talk about it with them and they respond and turn it around, do you not acknowledge that and reward them?

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
Did you not consider that maybe the Spurs defense got better as well? Reglular and playoff seasons are completely different. It's about making adjustments and countering the adjustments the other team has employed. You cannot just play one way ie the way you played all year in one game scenarios.
Our offense wasnt the problem when we were feeding Amare the ball. The problem was our defense and we helped that out a little by putting Diaw on Parker and fighting through screeens more in games 4 and 5. Suns usually dont have a problem scoring on the Spurs. They have a problem with playing lock down defense when we go trhough the occasional drought. That was our problem, not our offense evident by the NUMBERS.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
no doubt, it's hilarious how diaw is fooling these people again. Diaw over time will remain the most inconsistent player in suns history. 2 good games over Michael Finley and half the board is ready for a max extension. Bank on this, suns fans will be calling for his head within 3 games next season. Trade low, buy high the mantra of the ASFN message board.

And you might be right. That remains to be seen. I like what I saw from Diaw when coach put him in his natural position for the first time since becoming a Sun. Coaches' job, much like a job of any manager is to use his resources in such a way as to maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses. If Diaw is put in such a position and he stinks it up, by all means call him out and take away his minutes and shots. If he responds well, reward him. It's that simple.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no doubt, it's hilarious how diaw is fooling these people again. Diaw over time will remain the most inconsistent player in suns history. 2 good games over Michael Finley and half the board is ready for a max extension. Bank on this suns fans will e calling for his head within 3 games next season, trade low, buy high the mantra of the ASFN message board.

to be honest, I could care less if we got rid of BOTH guys. If you're going to live and die with Diaw, well, you saw what happened at the end when he saw Pop wide open on the sidelines... more often that not, you're going to die with him.

As far as Amare, I'm a staunch believer that in order to win any series or a title, your best player has to not only be your most physically gifted player, but the smartest player on the entire court well. Amare will NEVER be the smartest player on any court in any series that has title implications unless the league's best young guys all have lobotomies. I think Amare is what he is... probably the best #2 guy in the league simply because he's too much of a mental midget to be a number 1. The problem with that is he believes he's a number 1 and always will and that spells disaster for any team hoping to get a title.

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
I think players need to be called out when they are doing something wrong. They also need to be rewarded and acknowledged when they redeem themselves and start playing well.

I am not sure what your point is- if we call someone out and they respond and start doing the right thing, do we not acknowledge that?

If one of your subordinates at work is not doing their job and you call them out and they respond to it and start doing their job and take their work to the next level do you not acknowledge that and reward them?

If your kid is lying or being disobedient and you sit down and talk about it with them and they respond and turn it around, do you not acknowledge that and reward them?
It has nothing to do with you giving Diaw credit for playing well. The problem is people thinking Diaw is suddenly the answer at the sf position.

What we need to do is trade Diaw when he has value.

nowagimp

Reaction score
The only fool here is you.

He obviously understands everything more than you. The adjustment we made on offense didnt work. I have no idea why people think it did.

In Game 1 we shot 50% from the field
In Game 2 we shot 46.3% from the field
In Game 3 we shot 48.4% from the field

Then we changed up our offense into something we had never did before. This wasnt just a minor adjustment. It was a huge adjustment and the WRONG one to make

In game 4 we shot 42.7% from the field
In game 5 we shot 41.9% from the field

So OBVIOUSLY our offense didnt get better, its our defense that got better. Changing our offense HURT this team big time especially since we didnt play like that all year long like Amare said.

What worked was our defensive strategy in game 4 and 5.

Congrats, you and amare are on the same level intelligence wise. Amare and you apparently didnt realize that by amare playing defense instead of jacking shots the suns defense got better. Look at the suns second half offensive stats, thats when they lost games 1,2.

Last edited:

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

If my kid has F's and then gets a D+ on two tests I am not going to anoint him gifted.

Boris is fools gold.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with you giving Diaw credit for playing well. The problem is people thinking Diaw is suddenly the answer at the sf position.

I couldn't agree more. Sell high. Not against doing it with Amare either, but this love for Diaw for exceeding zero expectations against a washed up 2 gaurd is almost comical. iirc Amare was doing the same thing against Finley.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Without giving him more than 2 games to show what he can do when he is playing his natural position? I disagree. Must be the manager in me, but I think you give somebody a chance to prove themselves, and 2 days is just not enough to give up on somebody, especially if they perform well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. Sell high. Not against doing it with Amare either, but this love for Diaw for exceeding zero expectations against a washed up 2 gaurd is almost comical. iirc Amare was doing the same thing against Finley.

there's no way anyone's taking Boris contract off our hands, unless we throw them our first this year and next year. he's still on the books for... 36 million for the next 4 years... jesus.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare is Gold on offense and plastic piping on defense.

which is what makes him silver.

and hell, can you even call him gold on offense? The guy makes Dirk Nowitzki looks clutch at the end of games.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If amare wants to know how to be the man, he needs to look no further than Tim Duncan. Amare is just a boy next to TD who plays real defense, rebounds with the best, and adapts to the defensive strategy of the opposition. Damn, "the man" took amare to school on the glass, and on the low block, and embarrassed him on national TV 5 times.

Excellent point. Duncan recognized that Parker had a mismatch and moved out of the way to allow Parker to do his thing. Parker was the high scorer, Duncan is still "the man", and Spurs are in round 2.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Without giving him more than 2 games to show what he can do when he is playing his natural position? I disagree. Must be the manager in me, but I think you give somebody a chance to prove themselves, and 2 days is just not enough to give up on somebody, especially if they perform well.

Too bad Boris won't be going up against Finley in his natural position all year. A lot of SF's are going to tear him apart. But fine, if you want to build around Boris I guess that's your opinion, Kerr isn't going to, and that's all that really matters.

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, you and amare are on the same level intelligence wise. Amare and you apparently didnt realize that by amare playing defense instead of jacking shots the suns defense got better. Look at the suns second half offensive stats, thats when they lost games 1,2.
Nothing you just said explains why our offense got worse in game 4 and 5 when we decided to drastically change it.

Yes Amare played better defense as the series went on, but that was due to how important each game got. Blame him for not playing defense in game 1 and 2 but to justify changing up our offensive system which made us worse is ridiculous.. Make sure you also put the blame on others too and Dantoni for not developing a defensive strategy cause our defensive problems werent just Amare.

Fact is most of you here are morons. Amare has said all teh right things this series. Even Spurs fans are applauding him for his maturity. Yet you ******* are too busy riding Diaws dick and critizing our best player you dont realize that.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
this is starting to be a theme with amare, first he cant co-exist with JJ, then marion, now diaw. After a while, you have to ask: who is the problem? JJ seems fine in atl, he can coexist with josh smith and those guys. Marion seems an easy enough guy to coexist with, doesnt even get plays run for him. Diaw wants to pass, should be easy enough to coesist with a guy who drops dimes all the time. But amare seems to have a problem coexisting with anyone if he doesnt get his points. I can almost hear Pops laughing hard at the local pub thinking how he upended the fragile psyche of amare.
We don't know how valid all that is. Besides, JJ called Amare and was excited when the rumors were flying around that Amare could be traded to Atlanta.

And I wasn't really talking about co-existing off the court with other teammates. Amare and JJ were fine on the court. Amare and Marion were fine on the court. Amare and Diaw have never played well together, but there is no concrete evidence that they don't like each other.

Why is it all Amare's fault that he doesn't play well with Diaw? I'd say it's a two way street if anything. Nash is pass first, and Amare plays well with him. If anything, the two of them need to find out how to play off each other. Clearly niether has.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Nothing you just said explains why our offense got worse in game 4 and 5 when we decided to drastically change it.

Yes Amare played better defense as the series went on, but that was due to how important each game got. Blame him for not playing defense in game 1 and 2 but to justify changing up our offensive system which made us worse is ridiculous.. Make sure you also put the blame on others too and Dantoni for not developing a defensive strategy cause our defensive problems werent just Amare.

Fact is most of you here are morons. Amare has said all teh right things this series. Even Spurs fans are applauding him for his maturity. Yet you ******* are too busy riding Diaws dick and critizing our best player you dont realize that.[/quote]

dude! that's kind of uncalled for, Boris has been fooling Suns fans like David Blaine for years it's not entirely their fault.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Amare played better defense as the series went on, but that was due to how important each game got.

did you just call a bunch of people morons while throwing this statement out? When the series was on the line, he was nowhere to be found on defense. But, yeah, games 1 and 2 when we desperately needed a split and a MUST WIN HOME GAME 3 weren't as important as the hail mary games 4 and 5.

pot, this is kettle, you're black.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score

Exactly. I just don't get it. We've crucified Boris all year and praised Amare, and now Boris has two good games in a row, and we now say he needs more.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
If my kid has F's and then gets a D+ on two tests I am not going to anoint him gifted.

Boris is fools gold.

22, 8, 8 11/17 2st, 1 bs, 2to
20 10, 8 10/19, 2 bs, 4to

Averaging 21 points on 59% shooting, 9 rebounds, 8 assists, a steal, and 1.5 blocked shots, with 3 TO's isn't exactly D+ in my book.