Interesting Macklin comments:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hope this hasn't been posted already.

Free agent realizes he's not an automatic starter for Cards
By Darren Urban, Tribune
David Macklin knows he isn’t automatically going to start for the Cardinals this season. “In the NFL you are fighting every day,” said the cornerback during a conference call Thursday, a day after signing a three-year contract with Arizona.

“I am going into it wanting to be a better player than I was last year. That is an improvement. I want to be able to come in and help the defense out.”

Someone will have to start, though, after David Barrett left in free agency. The Cardinals are already taking a risk with their other starting job since Duane Starks is returning from torn left knee ligaments, an injury that sidelined him for the 2003 season.

On a recent trip to Miami, Fla., coach Dennis Green met with Starks and was satisfied with his rehab. Vice president of football operations Rod Graves said the team is counting on Starks. The Cardinals are also expected to draft a cornerback, probably in the first three rounds.

In the meantime, Macklin and Renaldo Hill — a restricted free agent who may get an offer sheet from another team — will fight for the other starting spot. “This has put me in a position where I could be a starting guy here,” Hill said. “You never know. I’m really kind of blind to everything. I’m just coming here every day, getting workouts in, so I can be prepared.”

Macklin, who turns 26 in July, is only 5-foot-9 but is a physical corner who weighs 196 pounds (Hill is 5-11, 194). Macklin had been a starter in Indianapolis until before this season, although he bounced back in the playoffs with a pair of interceptions.

“I’m happy I’m not going to be a Colt,” said Macklin, a four-year veteran. “I’m happy to be a Cardinal.”

Very happy to not be a Colt? I like this guy.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Anybody else think we have the makings of s decent cover 2 secondary???? We could be in trouble to match up man on man.....

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
He's coming in hungry and ready to fight. Can't ask for much more than that. Personally I am shocked that Hill has not been offered a tender from any other teams.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personally I am shocked that Hill has not been offered a tender from any other teams.
So OK, speed kills (but field smarts can, in part, overcome not having it).

But I guess, in a different way, too much lack of speed also kills...

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzCards21
“I’m happy I’m not going to be a Colt,” said Macklin, a four-year veteran. “I’m happy to be a Cardinal.”

Wow, he's not pulling any punches there.

Rams4evah

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Personally I am shocked that Hill has not been offered a tender from any other teams.
So OK, speed kills (but field smarts can, in part, overcome not having it).

But I guess, in a different way, too much lack of speed also kills...

For a seventh round pick there is very little to lose. May the Cards spread the word that they plan on matching any practical offer.

Canadian Card

Reaction score
Originally posted by Oran
He's coming in hungry and ready to fight. Can't ask for much more than that. Personally I am shocked that Hill has not been offered a tender from any other teams.

It's not a tender that would be offered to Hill, that was reserved to the Cards. I join you, however - in being a bit surprised that he hasn't been offered a contract by some team. Maybe some have decided that his true value is one that will be matched by the Cards, and so it's best to simply wait and see what the Cards do at this point.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rams4evah
For a seventh round pick there is very little to lose. May the Cards spread the word that they plan on matching any practical offer.

The Cards are in a win win situation.

If no one makes him an offer they get him for super cheap.

If someone does make him an offer the Cards can match it.

If someone makes an outrageous offer(Which is very unlikely) the Cards end up with a 7th rounder.

The Cardinals are taking a risk but I think it's a good risk to take.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardinalChris
Anybody else think we have the makings of s decent cover 2 secondary???? We could be in trouble to match up man on man.....

This is the point. I thought LAST SEASON that the Cards had a good secondary for a Cover-2, but apparently Mac and Marmie thought otherwise. I STILL think that the Cards are in a good position to run a Tampa-style cover-2, especially if they can get better production from Bryant (can he play the three-technique?) and good production from Berry and Pace on the ends (the Bucs usually have one good end and one crappy/very average one). Our undersized but speedy LBs work in our favor if we can get someone in the middle that can cover, be it Darling or Hayes or a later-round draft pick.

Whether or not this can mesh with the new defensive staff has yet to be seen.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
I don't think anyone but Tango will agree with me about this, but don't leave out Stone. He's been extremely quiet, which might be a good thing or a bad thing. I assume he'll go into camp as a CB, and who knows what will happen. He might have been a product of bad coaching, and he did come into the NFL considered raw. Green hasn't said a single word about him, so again I don't know if that's good or bad. The fact is that he's on our roster, as is that Tate fella.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I wouldn't

count Stone out either.
I'm glad we seem to be getting players who WANT to be here.
That goes a long way on game day mentality.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05