Interesting stat on Johnson

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Northern Card
SO, YOU IN EFFECT REACH THE SAME CONCLUSION AS ME... BUT MY POINT 'IS INVALID, AND INDEED WRONG".

BUT HEY... LET'S NOT LET YOUR SELF-PROCLAIMED HISTORIC KNOWLEDGE OF PENN STATE FOOTBALL..ETC. ETC. - AND HOW QUICKLY THEY ADAPT TO THE PRO GAME DISTORT ANYTHING :D

Dude, chilly-chill out, eh? I mean, seriously...all caps? I'm not trying to call you out, or say you're lying, or anything. And I thought by attaching a smilie, I'd be softening the statement and have it conceived as tongue-in-cheek. Guess some folks can't handle that, so I suppose I should apologize for offending.

All I'm saying is, by historical #s, BJ is having a solid rookie WR campaign. Moss, Boldin...these guys are exceptions, not rules.

And, like I said...I had no time to look up Joe J's #s. And I wasn't calling you out. I was asking about your sources (and joking as well, but apparently you couldn't tell). Relax. Breathe. And realize that all is well in the world. Sorry. Okay?

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
After 15 games here’s how they are are doing based on “production”…

Name, Round, Receptions, Yards, TD
Anquan Boldin 2- 54th pick, 6, 1350, 8
:lmao:

What I find most interesting about those stats is that Quan has 1350 yards on 6 receptions. God he is a freaking stud. 225 yards per catch.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem is what we needed from him this year,
I agree. We needed to fill the void created by Boston's departure. As I see it - In BJ, we got someone more like a slightly faster version of Frankie Sanders.

There used to be a comedy bit where the dude imitating LBJ used to refer to "mah semi-beautiful daughters."

Well, what's made me grumpy is that we passed up drafting either a 12-sack guy or a potential shutdown corner so that we could draft a "semi-beautiful receiver" and "semi beautiful pass rusher" in the first round.

That doesn't make BJ a bad football player - we still need a Frankie Sanders type guy to be our third wideout.

But we still don't have a #1.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I was reading a draft analists take on our "semi-beautiful receiver" and "semi beautiful pass rusher" we drafted, and he basically said they would both be very good, but that they both need more time because they're "raw" talent. Is this still the consensus on these two?

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
For what its worth, Joe Juervicus (sp?) had a very mediocre/forgettable first three years with the Giants, before finally "breaking out" in 2001 with 700 yds or so.

Bryant Johnson has had a very typical rookie year -- handful of starts, mostly playing as the third receiver, decent numbers.

Right now, I am not troubled by the dropping easy passes thing -- as he went through the same thing at Penn St and made it go away. Now if its next year at this time and its still a problem..........

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Again, to repeat Joe Thiesman, he said it MORMALLY takes a rookie receiver 3 years to "break out". Is he right?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think Johnson is on track, but the track has a way to go before a solid career is assured. Frankly, you can pretty much toss out all the numbers as the Cards are in such disarray that it is impossible to accurated match individual's performance to "normal" teams.

First, without knowing how many time Johnson was a target, it's hard to read his value.

Second, in most games the QB was running for his life and threw an unknown number of catchable balls.

Third, only God knows how many times I saw patterns mis-run that ended with two or more receivers in the same place. For you older folks, it reminded me of an early Mets game.

Lastly, no one seemed to know what a "hot read" was in the early games. I am not sure Johnson was ever involved in that process.

For my money, here's what I liked. He has speed and decent, but not great hands. You're going to laugh, but Sanders had better ones (just poor concentration). Johnson's route running improved as the season went on and thus the amount of separation he got coming out of his break improved. He showed a decent vertical and won his share of jump balls.

The downside was he didn't defend well on poor throws. He didn't block well downfield and as I mentioned above, he didn't adjust his routes to pressure.

He probably can be a decent second or third receiver, but only time will tell us that. The good news is that the number one receiver slot should be filled for years to come.

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Eric Moulds was the 24th pick. Johnson's going to nearly double his rookie production. He's doing fine. He'll probably end up with 35-40 catches on the season.

He ended up with 35 catches for 438 yards and one TD.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by Harry
The downside was he didn't defend well on poor throws. He didn't block well downfield and as I mentioned above, he didn't adjust his routes to pressure.

He probably can be a decent second or third receiver, but only time will tell us that. The good news is that the number one receiver slot should be filled for years to come.

Harry, I really love the takes that you bring to this board. You're posts are awesome, and have been all season.

I do have to quibble a little bit with you on the downfield blocking, though. On McCown's TD run against the Panthers, BJ blocked TWO PLAYERS. I know that it has to get better, but this team doesn't rush to the outside anyway (Marcel's too slow, and I don't think that Damian is that much fasters).

Defending on poor throws has been a habitual problem for this corps for several years. I don't know if Sully has been too busy working on routes to worry about it, or what, but I remember seeing tipped ball after tipped ball bouncing into opponents' hands for the past three or four seasons. Hopefully, a new staff will help with that.

Same thing with adjusting routes for pressure. While Sully may be a good teacher, he was a poor strategist, and it never seemed like the Cards had a "Plan B" in place for any play at the line that didn't look good.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05