Nash,LeBron,Matrix,Garnet,Duncan this would be my first 5
Wade,Alen,Dirk,Amare,Shaq second 5

OP
OP
K

King A

Registered
Reaction score
Shawn needs 22 ppg over the last 11 games to bump up his season average to 20.0 ppg.

a really wish him a 20/10 season, i mean he's a freaking 6'7" sf.
If he was like 6'10", he would be a top5 big man in the league and instead of
getting lots of credit, it's even more amazing what he does with his size

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
fatosber said:
Top 5 I would say

I love Marion, but you cannot honestly call him a top 5 player. No way is he ahead of Dirk, Shaq, Kobe, TMac to say the least.

OP
OP
K

King A

Registered
Reaction score
fatosber said:
Top 5 I would say

based on the current season i would agree with you

BTW: how amazing is LeBron! He is at least stat wise far ahead compared to MJ in his 2nd year. 26/7/7 with 19/20 years, really amazing

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
BTW: how amazing is LeBron!

Really amazing. About every other week, he does something else that makes me think, "I can't believe how good he is."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I love Marion, but you cannot honestly call him a top 5 player. No way is he ahead of Dirk, Shaq, Kobe, TMac to say the least.

or Wade for that matter.

Shawn is a GREAT player and probably just outside the top 10 in the 10-15 range IMO.

Man, this team is really good!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think right now Marion is the best complementary player in the NBA. However, any team in which he was the first option would be lucky to win 30 games.

fatosber

Veteran
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:

Kobe is a great player , but Lakers are not , Tmac he is also a great player but they are both selfish . Shaq ,hmmmmmm he has always been like this so I had to choose one C but I really could not remove Garnet . I left Ducan at C
So Nash , LBJ , Garnet , Duncan they all deserve it
Marion is a SF playing at PF he is having the best season of his career and the suns are having the best season in a decade . Marion definitely deserves it.

And allso its not easy for him he is not the suns 1st offensive option maybe not even the second option , I don't really know what he does in the game but he is our 2nd scorer 1st rebounder 1st block shoter 1st stealer
HE IS JUST GREAT < AND HE IS UNDERESTIMATED >

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I don't know why you are filling positions for top 5 in the league. Typically you just pick the best 5 regardless of positions.

Shawn Marion is the best 3 in the league, hands down. Marion is great, you don't have to convince me. Ask Cly2tw, he will tell you how much I support him. However, like Mao pointed out, he could never be a primary option. That is a requirement for being a top 5 player. You have to be a person a franchise is built around.

Like I said, Marion is awesome. Definitely top 15, possibly top 10 right now. No way is he top 5 though.

I mean you claim that the Suns have 3 of the top 10 players in the world. Tad ridiculous that we aren't considered favorites for not only a ring, but a dynasty if that were true.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is great that a complementary player can put up the kind of numbers Marion does. Complaining that he is not a "first option" type scorer misses just how great it is to have a guy who doesn't need to be in order to be effective.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
I think generously, Marion is in the 10-15 range. He happens to fit perfectly into the Suns system, using his freak athleticism to run the floor, leap for rebounds, catch alley oops, and dunk. The reason I would not put him in the top 15 is that he can't really create his own shot. He lives off put-backs, open 3's, and dunks. He is in the top 3 complementary players, no doubt, and he definitely deserves to be an all-star this year. Let's not get carried away though.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
goldseraph said:
He lives off put-backs, open 3's, and dunks.

AND acrobatic slashing shots, quick release midrange jumpers, excellent man defense on the 2-4 positions, incredible rebounding, decent shot-blocking.

But, since he's not really good off of the dribble, the rest doesn't mean much. :rolleyes:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marion is well suited to the new rules.

Under the old illegal defense rules, the classic "clearout" play dominated. This meant putting getting the best one on one player the ball where he would try to beat his man to get to the basket. Once he would get by his man, then he could try to make a layup or kick the ball out. It was very hard to help without getting caught into an illegal defense call.

With the changes in the rules, defenses can effectively double and use a defacto zone to backup the first defender. This is why teams run more pick and roll rather than the clearout play, with the effect that super one on one guys are not as crucial. This doesn't mean it isn't great to have a great "one on one" wing player, but the ability to move without the ball has become a lot more important.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Why does he always struggle against the Spurs?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Why does he always struggle against the Spurs?

The Spurs try to play the Suns straight up, without double teaming Amare. This means that they never leave any of the Sun's wing guys open. The result is that Amare has had some tremendous games, but everyone else is below par.

If the Suns are lucky enough to meet the Spurs in the conference finals, I suspect that D'Antoni will need to make some adjustments to how the Suns offense is run. There needs to be a heavy emphasis on ball movement and a willingness to work for good shots. It isn't easy, especially since the Suns tend to get frustrated and start jacking up contested threes.

Another problem the Suns had in past games was that they tried to attack the basket when Duncan and Nesto were in. Marion in particular needs to make his mid range shots, but it seemed like everyone was getting their shots blocked.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Yeah Marion must have more shots blocked than anyone else on the team. It seems as if SA doesn't let him drive and when he does it gets blocked. I would also like him to use more of his mid-range game against those guys. Not try and drive so much.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'd guess that Shawn gets fewer shots blocked than any other Sun. Unfortunately, I screwed up my VCR for that Spurs game where he got blocked so often but I've long thought he should drive more and risk getting his shot blocked because of the foul shots he'd pick up. Now I'm starting to think he's doing the right thing for him because shooting the way he does he's in better position position to rebound - most guys would rebound better if they were closer in but he does better when he has space to maneuver and to leap.

Getting shots blocked is not a bad thing - Amare undoubtedly gets blocked more than any Sun but look at the high percentage shots and FTs it nets him to take it to the hoop the way he does. And it also helps him get off uncontested jumpers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05