Interesting..we were #1 in off in preseason

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like that. It shows how a competent QB will make us alot better. I am really looking forward to Sundays game. If we play well and loook good and say win by 17+....I think people will believe in us. I think we have A LOT oF POTENTIAL.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that. It shows how a competent QB will make us alot better. I am really looking forward to Sundays game. If we play well and loook good and say win by 17+....I think people will believe in us. I think we have A LOT oF POTENTIAL.

I haven't looked at the stats but just from memory, it seems to me that much of our offense came against something other than first string defenses. I like the potential Kolb brings to this team but I think we're far from being a polished offense at this stage.

As for getting respect this Sunday, I kind of doubt it. If we lose, we'll be the laughingstock of the league for a few weeks and if we win (even if we win big) it will be disregarded because it came against a very raw rookie. We have almost as many excuses/reasons to struggle this week as Carolina does but it's a safe bet no one in the Media will be defending us if the Panthers beat us.

Steve

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Now Bartel needs to start and we are all set....:D

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Something we really, really, really need to consider, with just a average QB we would have won the NFC West last season. What did we lose this year?...DRC (aged Faneca was a weak link to me and though I liked Breaston he was not some pro-bowl WR other than a guy Fitzgerald makes a lot better), and gained Kolb. DRC stunk it up last year. I don't care about if he gets better and all that with the Eagles, I'm talkng about how it relates to the team last year and judging them into this year. Guys, DRC was horrid last year. Jefferson or Peterson will really have to work hard to stink it up as bad as DRC did last year for the entire season. I happen to think Kolb in the worst situation will still kick the crap out of what Derek Anderson did last year. The Rams will be better..so what? Not by much, and also throw in that extra year of tape on Bradford for a defense to take a look at. We won the division two years in a row... then Warner leaves and he is replaced by Anderson, name me one team that could have survived that? Seahawks won it last year with a losing record, and we were still in the mix till the end. If the Rams are better than us, it is by a very slight margin, very slight.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I know its only pre season but to go from 289 yards per game in 2010 to 403 in 2011 is encouraging.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I know its only pre season but to go from 289 yards per game in 2010 to 403 in 2011 is encouraging.

Good stats to go by. I didn't know it was that big of an improvement. That very encouraging.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good stats to go by. I didn't know it was that big of an improvement. That very encouraging.

I thought this was interesting as well:

2009 pre season 359 yards per game. Regular season 344 yards per game.
2010 pre season 289 yards per game. Regular season 269 yards per game.

What does it mean? Probably nothing.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I'm takin it as gospel. :) /guzzles down kool aid

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
So if that means we average 380 per game, I'll take it. I don't care if its preseason but the offense was noticeably better this preseason. If it holds up in the regular season, even 350-360 yards per game, the loss of DRC and the 2nd round pick will be only an afterthought.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
DRC stunk it up last year. I don't care about if he gets better and all that with the Eagles, I'm talkng about how it relates to the team last year and judging them into this year. Guys, DRC was horrid last year.
The offense couldn't keep the defense off the field last year so of course DRC & the rest of the defense is going to look bad. It's demoralizing when you make a big stop & your offense continually goes 3 & Out or turns the ball right back over. I think DRC will have a much better year in Philly & he would've if he stayed here this season as well.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whether or not our offense was going up against backups is irrelevant since, on average, every team played approx the same amount of time against their opponents' backups.y

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The offense couldn't keep the defense off the field last year so of course DRC & the rest of the defense is going to look bad. It's demoralizing when you make a big stop & your offense continually goes 3 & Out or turns the ball right back over. I think DRC will have a much better year in Philly & he would've if he stayed here this season as well.

Amazing that someone would call a Cardinals CB who had 3 interceptions and 17pdfs horrible.

We all know our defense decided to take 2010 off. A 4 month paid Holiday.

Hopefully they decide to come back to work this year.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
DRC was not Horton's type of CB. DRC couldn't tackle a tackling dummy. He was gone for something no matter if it was for a QB or some other position. It will be interesting to see how DRC does in Philly when he doesn't tackle. They have ruthless fans and he will hear it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether or not our offense was going up against backups is irrelevant since, on average, every team played approx the same amount of time against their opponents' backups.y

I don't think that logic holds up Jeff. It would if we were just looking at the wins and losses perhaps but not if you're trying to draw conclusions about your first team offense. Disregarding the fact that it was preseason, you can't conclude that your team will be able to move the ball against starters simply because they could do so against the scrubs.

Steve

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
DRC was not Horton's type of CB. DRC couldn't tackle a tackling dummy. He was gone for something no matter if it was for a QB or some other position. It will be interesting to see how DRC does in Philly when he doesn't tackle. They have ruthless fans and he will hear it.

I don't know. DRC was hired to play CB not SS or LB. If he's playing solid pass defense I don't care if he can tackle.

DRC was a valuable asset traded for another even more important asset. That's all.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score

Using some very advanced statistical modeling, I think 380ypg is in our future :D

Amazing that someone would call a Cardinals CB who had 3 interceptions and 17pdfs horrible.

We all know our defense decided to take 2010 off. A 4 month paid Holiday.

Hopefully they decide to come back to work this year.

DRC got roasted last year:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/12/02/stories-of-the-season-dominique-rodgers-cromartie/

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/01/14/fantasy-idp-nfc-west-cornerback-breakdown/

I was a huge DRC defender, but he flat out sucked throughout most of the season. Yeah, he had 3 INT's and 17 PD's but when you get targeted 90 times and give up 56 receptions while allowing QB's to have a 92.5 passer rating against you it was a bad season. Along with 8 penalties and 12 missed tackles (and who knows how many he didn't even make an attempt on).

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That is bad but even reading that article I still think it was that nobody really wanted to play last year on Defense, DRC least of all.

Too bad Bertand retired. He'd have never let DRC get away with it.

Unfortunately, I still don't see a guy on our defense that prevents that from happening with other players. We need a leader who will not tolerate that sort of attitude if we are really going to become a good defense.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think their might be a chance that Vonnie Holliday, a player who never wanted to be in Arizona, could bring some of that needed leadership. Any vet who is busting his tail, late into the last preseason game, says something. At the very least this guy is going to lead by example.

PitchShifter

The other Big Red
Reaction score
I'm trying to wrack my brain over last season's pre-season games...
Were there signs last pre-season of the performance we were later to see in the regular season?

I can't remember the games, but I recall the Defence dominating the offence in camp and the feeling that we had the shaping of a good defence. Turns out it was the offence that was putrid.

Surely you can get a feel/sense for some things, even if only in a broad way, from pre-season?

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
I for once would like to see an easy win, it seems like the cards games allways come down to the fourth quarter. Makes no diffrence if the team is good or bad i cant remember the cardinals winning easy games since the Jim Hart days

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

OMG!

LOOK at the difference between the pre seaons and regular season, IT'S getting bigger!

At this rate in about 2066 we'll have NO REGULAR SEASON YARDS AT ALL!

:D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
2007 Pre season 346 yards per game. Regular season 344 yards per game.

:shock:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to wrack my brain over last season's pre-season games...
Were there signs last pre-season of the performance we were later to see in the regular season?

I can't remember the games, but I recall the Defence dominating the offence in camp and the feeling that we had the shaping of a good defence. Turns out it was the offence that was putrid.

Surely you can get a feel/sense for some things, even if only in a broad way, from pre-season?

Yes, there were obvious signs last preseason that we were in trouble on both sides of the ball. Our first string offense was consistently unable to move the ball except when they had a clear cut depth chart advantage. We were almost as inept on defense. Houston, for example, dominated our defense pretty much at every position and that was our first preseason game. We looked much better against Chicago than we did against the other teams but Chicago started the game without several of their key players.

This season, we've looked quite a bit better on offense and defense but it's also harder to project off of these games because of the shortened offseason. There appears to be reason for hope but I think we won't really know what to expect for probably 3 games.

Steve