Is it mental?

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Usually, the Suns have control of the game for the first 3 quarters or it’s very close…and then *poof* they can’t defend in the 4th, they can’t make a shot, they foul just about every 45 seconds…

I mean really, this team is talented. It has to be mental, it has to be. There is no other explanation.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The Suns can't defend in any quarter. The difference is opposing teams usually ramp up their D in the fourth and we can't match their stops on the other end.

OP
OP
A

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Everyone came in with great expectations; everyone thought it was win or bust.

Everyone blames Shaquille. That isn’t the case; he doesn’t carry teams solely anymore. There were too many expectations on him and what he will do. He is doing what most said would need to be done, he is a defensive presence and gets rebounds and the occasional point.

It isn’t his fault the expectations were too high.

It isn’t all to blame on him; there is a team that is seriously struggling to find a defensive identity.

It’s the team, to blame only Shaq…well only a jackass would do that.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The awful defense certainly isn't all on Shaq, but he's part of the problem. His pick and roll defense is embarrassing.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shaq can't be blamed when it's the perimeter shooters that are killing the Suns right now.

Marion was the Suns' defensive scheme and it now shows how much D'Ant and this team relied on him to anchor the defense. Marion would guard the hottest player and Bell would guard the next best player in his size range.

Now D'Ant is leaning on Bell to replace Marion, but he's guarding players he has no chance against when the rest of the team doesn't play a lick of D. HELLO, Bell on Anthony the other night?? WTF?!?!?!

The rotations started with Marion and Bell and the Suns could get by, now they have no chance on the defensive side.

The Suns will be lucky to win 50gms.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
however, the loss of marion is...
Not exactly, we solved one problem and magnified another.
Honestly, hypothetically, i'm not sure that bringing in Shaq while keeping Marion here would've transformed us into a solid defensive team.
The philosophy/mentality isn't in place to be that type of team IMO.

Treat

Reaction score
Everyone came in with great expectations; everyone thought it was win or bust.

Everyone blames Shaquille. That isn’t the case; he doesn’t carry teams solely anymore. There were too many expectations on him and what he will do. He is doing what most said would need to be done, he is a defensive presence and gets rebounds and the occasional point.

It isn’t his fault the expectations were too high.

It isn’t all to blame on him; there is a team that is seriously struggling to find a defensive identity.

It’s the team, to blame only Shaq…well only a jackass would do that.

Speaking of which, see your sig, then re-read the bold part of your post....

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I was at the game, I couldnt believe how wide open the outside shooters were. I swear, they ignored Memet Okur on all of his 3's. No perimeter defense was attempted all game.

Is this some sort of joke?? Has one of the most dominant teams of the last three years become a laughing stock of the NBA?? I am sick and tired of watching this team regress like it has. I dont want to say that the window has slammed shut, but I can hear it start to creak.....

To be honest with you, I am petrified about Sunday's game against San Antonio. They are at full strength, playing in the afternoon against our mentally and physically worn out Suns team.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
The Suns can't defend in any quarter. The difference is opposing teams usually ramp up their D in the fourth and we can't match their stops on the other end.

This is the absolute, unadulterated truth, pure and sour.

Take a wild guess who doesn't care about defense, but only stresses 'outscoring' the other guy? San Antonio always proved him a fool, and now everyone else can. Wanna guess who that is? I'll give you a hint, he is the guy about to lose him job...

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
The problem is mental ...........DAntoni can only count to 7 or 8

Jerry Sloan, heck all NBA coaches must be telling their players: "Even if we're behind we can count on their stubborn coach to wear out his own players for us and by the 4th quarter we should be able to outplay them."

Players get tired.

I wonder, if D'Antoni was a track coach, what he would do for the relay race?
Would he take his fastest guy and run him all four legs of the race using the logic. "He is the fastest guy we have, so our best chance is to run him all four times."

D'Antoni = I'm right everyone else is wrong. :bang:

Add that he doesn't value defense and our players are severely disadvantaged===they just happen to be good enough to almost overcome it.

Give them some defense and share the minutes load and watch them kick ass like Spartans!!!

Last edited:

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
I would never of thought that Mike might lose his job, but with Kerr pulling off a major trade and another trade in the offseason, I think he has the guts to go to Sarver and say I think D'Antoni needs to go. However, I doubt Mike would be fired after the season. I don't see him leaving even if we don't make the playoffs, but I think that might be different if we don't get there. We will see.

BuddyFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
The guys are tired. They play all out and are tired. Coach doesn't use the bench wisely. It all adds up.

Barbaso is a HUGE liability! I'm really not liking his play. Its sparatic and i don't think he has the required discipline to play on a championship team.

I think Griciek needs more time. He plays like 4 mins minutes in the 1st half and then the same in the 2nd. 8 mins. Not enough imo.

Shaq needs to the ball down low!!!!!! Repost the guy!!!!!! 2 things happen when Shaq gets position - He scores/draws foul or he kicks it out to a shooter. But you have to get him the ball and if he kicks it out, he'll back down lower and repost him! DOn't thing go away from him! Arrrrgh!

I loved Bells game. He really played well tonight. As did Stoudemire.

Obviously our problem is defense. Maybe a zone should be played more often.

I dunno but that was one tough game to lose. We just can't put teams away. The rotations i believe are a huge part of this.

Arrrgh. Tough tough game to lose.

doomsday

Reaction score
Sure, Blame it on mental. How about blaming it on defense.How about blaming it on a no show by your MVP. I never thought the NBA would come down to giving a player two consecutive MVP's and all of a sudden, when times get tough, he cannot carry the team on his back. What an absolute joke. This is when you prove why the awards were giving to you not when you become the beneficiary of a system that fits you. Please pay attention to Nash at the defensive end. Your team in reality has at best four defenders when Nash is playing. He does nothing to stop the opponenet. He is a ghost until he has the ball in his hands.

I think Nash is a good player but not consecutive MVP award worthy. Not even close.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
I think it is DENTAL.

Seriously,D'antoni had history of tooth-aches and I think he doesn't coach well because of dental problems.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think it is DENTAL.

Seriously,D'antoni had history of tooth-aches and I think he doesn't coach well because of dental problems.
Maybe it's a question of mind over matter.

He's out of his mind and that's what's the matter. :D