Is Zaven Collins too slow and fat for the NFL?

BigCardsFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lets be real he would good in a run heavy NFL 20 years ago but he doesn't seem to have the athleticism to play in the modern day

Steve Keim should be drafting speed freaks like Daryl Washington and Isaiah SImmons instead

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is a fun troll, but I don't think we have enough information to say that Collins lacks the physical ability or mental acuity to play in the NFL.

Devin Bush (LB, Michigan) was supposed to be a stud for the Steelers and he blows. Sometimes this happens.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a fun troll, but I don't think we have enough information to say that Collins lacks the physical ability or mental acuity to play in the NFL.

Devin Bush (LB, Michigan) was supposed to be a stud for the Steelers and he blows. Sometimes this happens.
Bush’s ensemble on draft night was a good precursor.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

You're exactly right, we don't have enough info on him yet. I'm holding out hope from all the hype after we drafted him & during training camp & preseason. He's big yes, 260 I think but he is fast for that weight. He's also very intelligent, dude was going to be a doctor before he realized he had a future in the NFL. Time will tell. One would think he takes Hicks spot next season but who knows?

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought Collins has looked OK at times when he's played. Clearly though it takes a while for new players to earn Vance's trust. Which isn't a bad thing.

Does Vance see Hicks as an on-field coach? Some who knows the D inside out? Seems to have unwavering faith in him.

Admittedly Marco has played from Day 1 however there was a degree of necessity there with Butler walking out.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I thought Collins has looked OK at times when he's played. Clearly though it takes a while for new players to earn Vance's trust. Which isn't a bad thing.

Does Vance see Hicks as an on-field coach? Some who knows the D inside out? Seems to have unwavering faith in him.

Admittedly Marco has played from Day 1 however there was a degree of necessity there with Butler walking out.
Vance asks a lot less of his DBs than he does of his LBs which is why Marco can come in right away and start. Vance's don't make the big mistake philosophy is also why Marco plays so soft and has given up such a high comp %.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Ahh Fiddlesticks, he is a rookie! Learning to QB a complicated defense. He was known as tweener in the draft, and is very fast for his size. We are not nearly as terrible against TEs! remember that? Look at Murphy break out from behind PP! I didn't expect Murphy and a rookie to play this well?

Collins and Simmons are right on schedule, I expect them to be wonderful by playoff time, but not at their peak till 3rd year.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The honest answer to the question? Time will tell.

With that said, I’m not overly concerned because:

1. We are winning, and winning cures everything.

2. As others have mentioned, see Isaiah Simmons. He was essentially redshirted the first half of his rookie season.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Nope. He's just a rookie. Looks like a good pick to me.
Okay, I can understand the first opinion, though I may disagree with it. But how, objectively speaking, does he look like a good pick? For me, at best, we're now hoping he pans out but we don't have anything specific yet to base that hope on.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Okay, I can understand the first opinion, though I may disagree with it. But how, objectively speaking, does he look like a good pick? For me, at best, we're now hoping he pans out but we don't have anything specific yet to base that hope on.
It appears to me he has the physical abilities to be a solid LB for years. I think coming from Tulsa his learning curve is probably a bit steep. But, if I'm full of crap and wrong on it I won't lose any sleep.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Our D is bad ass and no rookie is gonna come in and screw it up.

- Vance Joseph

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
backyardunwieldy