It’s time to quit babying Booker

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. This is an opportunity to develop Ayton. No one expects them to win. Force the play, like a practice until they learn how to feed, and play the low post offense.

if we don't see any adjustment here, I'll sadly probably start being just as annoying as 1Sun is about getting rid of Koko. Only reason I ain't banging that drum now is because it would really make the team look idiotic firing back to back coaches in the first quarter of back to back seasons.

I think they can get away with that if they bring in a qualified/respected GM and he decides to go another way at the end of the year, but right now? Just will look like more Sarver idiocy.

I just can't imagine he doesn't see what EVERYONE here sees with Ayton at least being the only other guy who can create for himself/make opposing offenses adjust. if he can't do the same, he's even more atrocious than I fear.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
if we don't see any adjustment here, I'll sadly probably start being just as annoying as 1Sun is about getting rid of Koko. Only reason I ain't banging that drum now is because it would really make the team look idiotic firing back to back coaches in the first quarter of back to back seasons.

I think they can get away with that if they bring in a qualified/respected GM and he decides to go another way at the end of the year, but right now? Just will look like more Sarver idiocy.

I just can't imagine he doesn't see what EVERYONE here sees with Ayton at least being the only other guy who can create for himself/make opposing offenses adjust. if he can't do the same, he's even more atrocious than I fear.

Well, we're 23 games in, and we still haven't seen any adjustment. How many more games does he get before you conclude that he can't or won't adjust?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, we're 23 games in, and we still haven't seen any adjustment. How many more games does he get before you conclude that he can't or won't adjust?
He did put Anderson on the bench. He did put Bridges on the starting squad. They got rid of Chandler to make room for Holmes. He got rid of Canaan to develop Okobo. It's not totally fair to say he's done nothing. Some of his game time rotations suck. I do see him trying to make changes.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He did put Anderson on the bench. He did put Bridges on the starting squad. They got rid of Chandler to make room for Holmes. He got rid of Canaan to develop Okobo. It's not totally fair to say he's done nothing. Some of his game time rotations suck. I do see him trying to make changes.

I meant with respect to Ayton, which is the context in which the comment to which I responded was made.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Also, the Suns' stretches of playing decent defense are becoming somewhat less rare.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker's medical report from Duane Rankin.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Depending on the draft order, I would not be against taking a shooting guard next summer as an insurance policy. If PF or a PG are the best available prospects, take them, but don't pass on a great shooting guard because we have Booker.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Depending on the draft order, I would not be against taking a shooting guard next summer as an insurance policy. If PF or a PG are the best available prospects, take them, but don't pass on a great shooting guard because we have Booker.
I'm hoping that we can obtain a decent experienced Point Guard and (unless he is a top prospect) Power Forward. Please don't ask me to do the research on trades or free agents. That's the job of management.

I am giving my opinion as a fan that we are overloaded with young players and, especially at the Point Guard position, we need more than a prospect. Whatever it takes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker doesn't think he has played a healthy game all season. This is not something I wanted to hear. The Suns should rest him until he is ready not matter how long it takes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker doesn't think he has played a healthy game all season. This is not something I wanted to hear. The Suns should rest him until he is ready not matter how long it takes.

I'm not surprised, I've said it several times this season. IMO, had he waited until he was fully recovered and fully conditioned for an NBA game, he might have played 15 healthy games so far. And he is so much more effective when he is in peak form.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm hoping that we can obtain a decent experienced Point Guard and (unless he is a top prospect) Power Forward. Please don't ask me to do the research on trades or free agents. That's the job of management.

I am giving my opinion as a fan that we are overloaded with young players and, especially at the Point Guard position, we need more than a prospect. Whatever it takes.

It's fine to give that opinion but that says nothing for the type of PG and PF you want to bring in and if there are even any players like that available or not. That's the issue with passing the buck and saying that's the job of management. It leaves you open to say it was the wrong move no matter who is brought in because you envisioned a certain type of player to fill those roles.

You know as well as anyone that there are various types of player at every position in the NBA. Ayton is not a Center the same way that Len is. Channing Frye is not the same type of PF that Barkley was or even Markieff Morris was, if you want to leave past generations players in the past. Even Bender and Chriss were quite different players. You didn't seem to care for either so what type of PF do you want? It's much easier to name a player or two that is in the league that might be available than naming various attributes that apply to some but not other players.

If you want to stop at "management needs to find us a PF and PG" then whoever is brought in to play those roles will be what you asked for since you didn't want to be more specific.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's fine to give that opinion but that says nothing for the type of PG and PF you want to bring in and if there are even any players like that available or not. That's the issue with passing the buck and saying that's the job of management. It leaves you open to say it was the wrong move no matter who is brought in because you envisioned a certain type of player to fill those roles.

You know as well as anyone that there are various types of player at every position in the NBA. Ayton is not a Center the same way that Len is. Channing Frye is not the same type of PF that Barkley was or even Markieff Morris was, if you want to leave past generations players in the past. Even Bender and Chriss were quite different players. You didn't seem to care for either so what type of PF do you want? It's much easier to name a player or two that is in the league that might be available than naming various attributes that apply to some but not other players.

If you want to stop at "management needs to find us a PF and PG" then whoever is brought in to play those roles will be what you asked for since you didn't want to be more specific.

I'll give it a try.

For a point guard, as I have stated before, a steady veteran who is a solid distributor and facilitator, who is at least an average defender, and who has a good enough outside shot to keep opposing defenses honest. Example from Suns history of this type: Kevin Johnson. Lesser example: 2013 Goran Dragic.

For a power forward, tenacious banger, rim protector, reasonably athletic and/or bulky enough to defend opposing power forwards straight up, and at least enough of a mid-range jumper (if not a three pointer) to keep opposing defenses honest. Examples from Suns history of this type: A.C. Green, Wayman Tisdale, Clifford Robinson, Antonio McDyess.

Doesn't necessarily need to be a superstar at either position, but at least needs to be a good, solid veteran core contributor.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think we all hope to get a PG and a PF. Nobody's gonna disagree with that, BC. All I am saying is that they should not settle for an average PG if they can draft a star SG just because they have Booker.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Grrrrr... this bugs me. Shocker, I know. Bugs me even more that they're giving him even more responsibility on the court while never being healthy. i know they're backed into that corner when he is healthy, but until that actually happens, this stuff is just going to linger and have him in and out of the lineup.

Let him properly heal, force Koko to adjust and at least TRY and feature Ayton somewhere besides the top of the key and hopefully have a couple different ways to attack on offense when Book gets back healthy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised, I've said it several times this season. IMO, had he waited until he was fully recovered and fully conditioned for an NBA game, he might have played 15 healthy games so far. And he is so much more effective when he is in peak form.

And if Booker is allowed to come back early, this process will repeat itself. This season is already a goner so there is no rush.

I do think the Suns should have attempted to put a watchable product on the floor this season.

For example, the Suns could have spent the money they spent on Ariza ($15 million) for a veteran point guard like Shelvin Mack ($2,512,601) and Monzell Harrell ($6 million) and still had plenty of money to spend on other players. I'm sure there are a lot of examples to be found.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grrrrr... this bugs me. Shocker, I know. Bugs me even more that they're giving him even more responsibility on the court while never being healthy. i know they're backed into that corner when he is healthy, but until that actually happens, this stuff is just going to linger and have him in and out of the lineup.

Let him properly heal, force Koko to adjust and at least TRY and feature Ayton somewhere besides the top of the key and hopefully have a couple different ways to attack on offense when Book gets back healthy.

I'm not fond of Igor's response. He seems indifferent.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not fond of Igor's response. He seems indifferent.

Typical passivity on his part. He just doesn't have the cajones.

NBA equivalent of Chip Hale.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The PF slot I have been thinking how most people would like a Zion Williamson or some tough PF. However, maybe Igor is looking more for a European 3D type of PF. A guy who plays more outside at the 3 point line. Kind of like how they want Ayton to play all over the court instead of staying low post to rebound and block shots.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The PF slot I have been thinking how most people would like a Zion Williamson or some tough PF. However, maybe Igor is looking more for a European 3D type of PF. A guy who plays more outside at the 3 point line. Kind of like how they want Ayton to play all over the court instead of staying low post to rebound and block shots.

At this point, I don't want Igor anywhere near constructing this roster. This is the NBA, not EuroBasket.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Right now, I'm neutral on Koko. And I'm very much convinced of the value of an effective stretch 4. But I'd go ballistic if Koko caused us to bypass the most unique and unstoppable player since Lebron came out.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If Igor wanted that then I think Bender would have seen some real minutes by now. I know he's far from a finished product but he's in that mold, so is Ryan Anderson except for not being a Euro. I would like to see us get a more physical PF like Williamson could be. I'm not sure who fits that bill that's in the league now that would be available but I can't see us going the Euro route after Bender. I know I was interested in Favors last offseason but I can't see him and Ayton coexisting all that well in our frontcourt.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Our fate tells us Cleveland will land Zion. I can just feel it. Also I vomit every time I hear the name Antonio Mcdyess

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
backyardunwieldy