its official

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
The league needs to re-examine the intent of the rule. Its intent was to keep fights from escalating, not to nit-pick the vicinity of the players on the bench. It's a good idea for a rule, but enforced in the wrong way, which is why it didn't prevent the horrible fights in Detroit and Indiana.

Ironically, the rule worked yesterday, which is why the suspensions are so ridiculous. Amare and Boris reacted naturally to a teammate going down ... as Duncan did earlier in the night. The coaches, knowing the rule, told them to go back, and both players regained their heads and went back to the bench without incident. The most important thing to remember is this: they got up because it was a natural reaction ... they sat back down to avoid suspension. This was a perfect example of the rule thwarting a potential fight. Yet, they got suspended anyway. The fact is, they could have continued down the court, talked smack, got in players’ faces, and potentially escalated the situation into a bigger mess ... ala Detroit/Indiana ... and still only received a one game suspension. It's simply a very unwise interpretation of the rule.

Players aren't stupid for having an initial reaction. They're stupid for acting on it. Amare and Boris sat back down and nothing happened. The rule worked. But suspending them anyway destroys the intent of the rule. The only message suspending them sends is that once you step on the court, you're getting suspended, so you might as well make it worth your while. Now the suspensions negate the fact that cooler heads prevailed, it rewarded the flagrant foul, and most absurdly, it turns game 5 into a potentially dangerous game because of the possible retaliation by the players or fans.

This was a horrible ruling.

STATfan4Life

Veteran
Reaction score
BIG time Suns fan here. I am a frequent reader of this board and not a poster but just felt the need to post today. I am pissed off at the suspension of our players for the next game. Actually there are no words to really describe the anger I feel inside. I'm too damn mad to even try

OP
OP
T

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
Ereverybody Needs To Sign The Petition That Is Posted In The Other Thread!!!!! Do It, Do It Now

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome Tom. You should stick around. This is the best board around for all Arizona Sports.

I am numb right now. I expect to be angry soon.

From Wikipedia:

5 Stages of Grief

The stages are:
  1. Denial - The initial stage: "No way Stern just did that."
  2. Anger : "How dare he do this to us?!" (either referring to Stern, Jackson, or anybody perceived, rightly or wrongly, as "responsible")
  3. Bargaining : "Just let us make through game 6."
  4. Depression : "This sucks so bad...we can't win w/o Amare & Diaw"
  5. Acceptance : "I know now what I have to do...death to Stern"

Feeble Mcjackson

Registered
Reaction score
I cant vent, i cant curse, i cant do anything. this really is a gut check to the highest order. I dont even know how i can watch next season, let alone the rest of this series. this is just junk.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This entire scenario will (hopefully) make the NBA reexamine this rule and make changes to it that make more sense. Sadly, it will come at the expense of the Suns.

TexMax

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A Spurs fans 2 cents.

First off,
This sucks. I have read some pretty heated comments on these boards, and they are warranted. A Spur was the aggressor last night, pulling a move that no one should be proud of, and the Suns have been punished for it. I am posting to let yall know that most Spurs fans are not snickering gleefully at this decision because frankly if we were to win this thing now, it would have an asterisk next to it in the eye of the sportsworld and we already have a championship with an asterisk in the shortened season of '99. We want to win it, but not like that.
The short version: this is not good for anybody.

But before anyone rushes into conspiracy theorys let me just make a couple of points.

A.) The league does NOT want the Spurs to win this series. The Spurs have been to the finals three times and each time it has been amongst the lowest TV ratings for the finals in History. S.A. is ranked the 37th largest sports market in the country, and that is our fan base. The Suns are up-tempo, exciting to watch, and they are what people want to see. The Spurs are old news in the sports world. People want a new story. They are just not going to get it this year. There is no wizard pulling the strings for the Spurs so yall can stop clinging to that raft.

B.) I know it could seem ridiculous considering the lack of suspensions of Bowens questionable plays during games two and three, but the reason there was no punishment is because they were just that... questionable. There is no conclusive evidence that says that either the step on the back of the foot, or the knee to the crotch was intentional. Bowen was on offence when his knee connected to Nashes crotch and he was executing a very standard B-ball move: the jab step, which is used to create space to avoid blows just like that!! Nash was up in his business and he paid the price. Should have been an offensive foul and thats that. And there is simply no way to prove that Bowen was just trying to chase down a possible board during the Amare mishap. Of course, we know this is not true. But this is exactly what makes Bowen special. Yall call him dirty, we call him crafty. He knows what he is doing, and he is very good at it. He is there for one reason, and that is to make his oppenents job as hard as possible. Welcome to the world of competitve sport. We are not playing checkers here.
Bowens violations were questionable, the rule Amare and Diaw broke is written in stone, you can not jump off the bench. Sometimes, the ball has to roll your way to win.

C.) Speaking of which, its the playoffs... tell your guys to stop whining like a bunch of tattle tale 1st graders. And by that, I mean Amare, and your owner. It is plain and simple, NOT helping your cause. It is the reason you are not getting calls, and it has just given the Spurs motivation and a swagger. They walked onto the court with a "I will show you dirty, ya puss," attitude and they are getting it. Say what you want about the Spurs but they have been through alot, overcome alot of adversity and have a pretty good track record to show for it. One thing we do not do is bitch to the media and let me tell you why and let you in on a little secret... Refs and the league dont like bitc&$g and moaning. Tim might give his trade mark, aw shucks look on the court after he gets called for a foul, but he does not whine to the national sports media about the opponent and calls, essentially saying the refs are not doin their job to the whole world. Jason Terry flat out PUNCHED Finley in the nuts last year in game 5, and that play was dirtier than any play has been in this series. But, we did not go out and start crying to the press, calling the entire Maverick organization dirty. We awaited the decision, and the league delivered. And besides, I can remember Charles Barkley pulling some questionable stunts back in his day. Raja Bell tossing Kobe to the floor last year... real classy. The road goes both ways Phoenix, and not every Sun just got home from Bible study. Snap out of it! This is the playoffs, and whoever wins this series will win the championship, so check the maxipads at the door and lets play some ball. This is the big enchilada. Stop making it sound like we are inventing 'in your face basketball.' Two weeks ago, we were the "milk and cookies" team of the league led by Tim Duncan (not exactly Dennis Rodman guys). Amare has made us out to be the '89 Pistons when in fact, our organization has been built around classy players like Timmy, David Robinson and Sean Elliot. So stop wasting your breath and save it for the court, you are going to need it.

In short, this sucks, but just play ball. You may have won game 1 if Nash did not bust his nose, but you know what... he did. We probably would have won it all if Derek Fischer had not made his circus shot in '04. We probably would have won it all if Manu did not foul Dirk in game 7 last year. But, S&*# happens! Thats life and that is sport. If you are good enough you will come back and win anyway. Thats what the spurs do, and it has won us three rings, even if you do not like the way we have won them.

May the best team win.

BuddyFranklin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still so furious!

Amare and Boris didn't do enough to warrant a suspension! That rule is ********! That weren't involved in the altercation! No suspension is needed!
They ought to be fined but because the 'altercation' never boiled over nothing should be done!

Each case needs to be evaluated on its own! Life isn't as simple as to have a ruling that is like this one!

TexMax

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It takes more than talent to win the title cheese. It takes guts, character, luck and a refuasal to lose. Dallas has the deepest team in the league and they are watching from their sofa's. The Spurs have proven they have what it takes to go all the way, the Suns have not. But think what you want.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
It takes more than talent to win the title cheese. It takes guts, character, luck and a refuasal to lose. Dallas has the deepest team in the league and they are watching from their sofa's. The Spurs have proven they have what it takes to go all the way, the Suns have not. But think what you want.

character?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

uh, all I said is you said you were a spurs fan. why that meant you decided to give me a condescending lecture on what it takes to win a title because of that is beyond me. Maybe you're just a douchebag. don't you have enough of a life not to troll on another team's message board? Seriously, for the life of me, I don't understand people who troll OPPOSING team's message boards.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Suns were the better team in the regular season. Suns were better in the first four games of the series--tied 2-2, with the only impressive victory of the four.

The balance of the series is ruined by Horry's cheap shot and Stern's idiocy, so I don't see how you can argue the Spurs are better moving forward. Maybe next year, right? :rolleyes:

NDNACE

Rookie
Reaction score
Anyone who has played team sports knows if one of your teammates(not to mention your heart and soul) goes down due to injury or a cheapshot, the first thing your going to do is make sure they are OK. True teammates would not do anything less. This is all Stat and Diaw did. The NBA's decision is archaic and beyond bufoonery.

I gave up on this Suns team after game 1 because of their lack of heart. They have proved me wrong. The Suns have the heart of a champion, too bad Stern and the NBA are trying to take it away.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
how the heck am i supposed to go to sleep now.

ive been waiting for today's game since training camp started...and now this?!?!

:bang:

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
NBA is really the biggest joke in Sport.
I hope Dirk will say that he should not be MVP... and have a Nice word for big Sheep Ugly who is the true MVP :sarcasm:

All the coaches should use this brand new tactic to shut down oponent most dominant player(s).
Game 5 is lost so this should be our starting lineup:
- Banks
- Jones
- Rose
- Piatkowski
- Burke
One goal : Make'em suffer :gun:

Highpointer

Reaction score
Spurs wear out short-handed Suns to win

It seems like we now have direct evidence that the Commissioner Stern's decision to reward the Spurs for Horry's hit on Nash will likely give the NBA championship to the Spurs. The short-handed Suns were worn out and blew a lead in the final minutes of the game, and as a result the Spurs won on the Suns' home court. Now the Spurs will have home-court advantage in the sixth game, and they know that a win in that game will put them in the Western Conference Finals. Thus, they will likely win that game to take the series.

In the Western Conference Finals, the Spurs will then probably go on to beat the Utah Jazz, who have lost 16 straight games in San Antonio and haven't won in San Antonio since Feb. 28, 1999. The Spurs will also have home-court advantage in the NBA Finals against whatever team comes out of the Eastern Conference.

I guess the NBA must prefer the Spurs to win the NBA championship. Since they have won three championships recently, the league always prefers a team with a winning history to win again over a team that has never won a title before.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
stern handed the spurs a championship. the suns came close, but not quite close enough tonight. shame, truely a shame that the best team will not (in all odds) win this 7 game series

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05