Jalen Hurts now highest paid player in NFL history

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Didn't Quebec and Brit just tell us the Eagles were in dire cap trouble in another thread? How in the world did they just make Hurst the richest guy in the NFL with all those cap restraints working against them??????

DUH!

His contract comes into effect in 2024, and they are clearing $54m in 'dead' money in 2023.

They lost two key DTs, two starting GDs, a starting CB and linebacker amongst the list, and are hardly as strong as last season on paper.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The market is reset in some way each year and he's a top ~5 QB.

So, not specifically.

Eh... is he though?

He was 10th in DVOA and DYAR. Remember: the Eagles didn't exactly play a murderer's row of opponents last year. There's a big crowd of names between 4 and 12; I guess it depends on what you like.

Crazy that going into this season he was considered an extremely replaceable QB.

The highest-paid QB is almost always the last one to sign a new contract. He'll be the highest-paid for about four months, as many are saying.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
DUH!

His contract comes into effect in 2024, and they are clearing $54m in 'dead' money in 2023.

They lost two key DTs, two starting GDs, a starting CB and linebacker amongst the list, and are hardly as strong as last season on paper.
My point is , the cap doesn’t keep any team from signing/keeping any player they want.
If the Eagles wanted to pay Hargreaves, they would have. Trey deemed him expendable, like the Cards did with Allen, and not worth the money.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My point is , the cap doesn’t keep any team from signing/keeping any player they want.
If the Eagles wanted to pay Hargreaves, they would have. Trey deemed him expendable, like the Cards did with Allen, and not worth the money.

Sure, teams can cut and/or restructure contracts to create space to sign player 'x,' but in the end, the team must be Cap compliant.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Eh... is he though?

He was 10th in DVOA and DYAR. Remember: the Eagles didn't exactly play a murderer's row of opponents last year. There's a big crowd of names between 4 and 12; I guess it depends on what you like.

Crazy that going into this season he was considered an extremely replaceable QB.

The highest-paid QB is almost always the last one to sign a new contract. He'll be the highest-paid for about four months, as many are saying.

Yes

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Eh... is he though?

You still can't parse out performance accurately when you play with so many good players. His offensive line is beastly.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But I'm not. I'm comparing both players at 24 in their second season as a starter that both went to a super bowl and both had stacked rosters.

If you have a better comparison, I'm all ears. But some of your are acting like Hurts is Daniel Jones and he's not. He's a top 5 QB in the league right now.

This is my top 5 right now.
Mahomes/Allen
Burrows
Herbert/Hurts

I will also throw in there thst A-Ron can still be top 5 is he wants to be.

I don't even think Hurts is better than Kyler if talking physical talent. Put them both in the same situation with the same players, scheme and coach and I think Kyler kicks his ass. I think he's a better passer and runner than Hurts.

Hurts is a FAR better leader though and that's not nothing in the NFL (as we have seen) and may have intangibles that make him a better QB long term.

Kyler, as we all know, is dragged down by lack of leadership and immaturity.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL at the guys on here attacking Budda. What a joke.

Why?

Rumours are he wants more money to stay 2 years into a deal that made him the highest paid safety. He signed that deal without a winning season to his name so the idea that he wants more money because we are going to suck rings hollow.

Also, pick a lane. People are arguing he wants to leave because he wants to win but at the same time he's willing to stay if he's paid more. So he doesn't really want to win does he? He really wants more money considering he's willing to sell out his dreams of winning for more cash.

Why should I feel any sympathy towards that? He's using the teams rebuilding situation and a rookie GM as leverage to try get himself more money 2 years into a very generous deal and y'all are like "Poor Budda is now only the 7th highest paid safety".

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Budda is the 7th highest paid safety. Let's see where people around the league rank him.

SIS ranked him their 7th best safety last season. PFF ranked him 17th. Both of these are analytics based.

CBS ranked him 6th last offseason.

PFN ranked him 10th.

USA today didn't include him in their top 13.

NBC ranked him 5th.

ESPN's survey of NFL execs and coached ranked him 5th.

Being 7th best paid seems pretty fair.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why?

Rumours are he wants more money to stay 2 years into a deal that made him the highest paid safety. He signed that deal without a winning season to his name so the idea that he wants more money because we are going to suck rings hollow.

Also, pick a lane. People are arguing he wants to leave because he wants to win but at the same time he's willing to stay if he's paid more. So he doesn't really want to win does he? He really wants more money considering he's willing to sell out his dreams of winning for more cash.

Why should I feel any sympathy towards that? He's using the teams rebuilding situation and a rookie GM as leverage to try get himself more money 2 years into a very generous deal and y'all are like "Poor Budda is now only the 7th highest paid safety".
I think for most players it’s not as black as white as you like to make things. I think it’s a balancing between $$$ and winning. If they can’t get a bag they would rather play for a winner. For some it’s they got the bag and are now seeking the winning. And I think when things are equal (I mean in the total considerations, not equal winning and equal money) that’s where the rep of the organzation (which you seemingly totally dismiss as irrelevant) becomes the deciding factor. But nothing is as black and white as you’d have us all believe.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Budda is the 7th highest paid safety. Let's see where people around the league rank him.

SIS ranked him their 7th best safety last season. PFF ranked him 17th. Both of these are analytics based.

CBS ranked him 6th last offseason.

PFN ranked him 10th.

USA today didn't include him in their top 13.

NBC ranked him 5th.

ESPN's survey of NFL execs and coached ranked him 5th.

Being 7th best paid seems pretty fair.
This also isn’t how things work in the nfl. You get to pay a guy based on their latest season. You pay them based on their overall reputation as a player, their level of availability, their value to the particular club, their age, their leadership, etc. You also ignore that he’s out of guarantee money, so you also fail to take into account that virtually every nfl player with any leverage does this at this juncture.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
They sure pay run first quarterbacks a lot while many say that type quarterback won't win you a SuperBowl. Yet they pay them record money knowing pocket passers win most SBs. It wouldn't surprise me if Lamar Jackson never won a SB yet he'll get a record contract. Run first quarterbacks get hit running a lot too; shortening their careers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22