James to get more touches ..???

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James might get more touches

By Darren Urban, Tribune
October 6, 2006

A couple of weeks ago, Edgerrin James said he wanted to be a bigger part of the Cardinals’ offense. With rookie Matt Leinart starting at quarterback, James might get his wish.

The Cardinals are expected to use the running game and the short passing game more often with Leinart, which will mean more opportunities for James against a Kansas City defense ranked third in the NFL.

“Whenever they call my name, I’m ready,” James said. “If I have to carry it 50 times, I’ll be ready 50 times.”

At this rate, James may need close to that to notch his long-awaited first 100-yard game. The Cardinals have had running backs reach 100 yards only seven times in their last 100 games, dating back to the start of the 2000 season: Marcel Shipp three times, Emmitt Smith twice, and one each from Michael Pittman and Thomas Jones. Smith was the last to do it, 31 games ago.

James’ personal 100-yard drought has reached seven games, tying the longest of his career. But James still wore a smile Thursday as he talked about his rough season thus far in which he has averaged just 68 yards a game.

“I am a fighter; I don’t give up,” James said. “I know good things will happen. Good things always happen for me.

“A lot of people want to point fingers, but there is no need to point fingers because this is what we’ve got. We aren’t going to have a new offensive line, we’re not going to have a new system. This is what we’ve got this year. All the playmakers, we just have to do something extra.”

James reiterated he is loyal to his much-maligned offensive line. And coach Dennis Green is standing by his biggest free agent catch, saying that James’ troubles producing yardage have nothing to do with James.

“I think he is running his butt off,” Green said. “I think it’s on us, not him.”

DANSBY TO START?

There is a chance linebacker Karlos Dansby, who has slowly been working his way back from a toe injury, could be in the starting lineup Sunday against Kansas City. Dansby, who has been backing up Calvin Pace at strongside linebacker, has nine tackles in three games as a reserve.

“He is playing hard, but he is not as fast as he was before,” Green said.

That’s because Dansby isn’t healthy. Dansby said he was playing at only “55 or 60 percent,” although his play is still “pretty doggone good, to be honest. I am trying to be at my best when my best is needed.”

Asked about the possibility of starting, Dansby was vague.

“Whatever my role is I will do it to the best of my ability and hopefully we get a ‘W’ out of it,” Dansby said. “It’s a team thing — it’s not about me and me starting. It’s about me contributing.”

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If true I will change my prediction from 31-17 chiefs to 38-3 Chiefs.

Estringonly

Reaction score
Who cares how many "touches" Edge gets. The line SUCKS and even if Edge was Walter Payton and Barry Sanders combined he would still gain 31 yards on 30 "touches".

Since when did carries get renamed to touches. Touches sounds GAY.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Who cares how many "touches" Edge gets. The line SUCKS and even if Edge was Walter Payton and Barry Sanders combined he would still gain 31 yards on 30 "touches".

not that there's anything wrong with that :D .

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"Touches" doesn't necessarily mean just carries. It means just what it says--how many times is Edge "touching" the ball: carries, pass receptions or passes.

BTW, Payton and Sanders ran behind some gawdawful lines, too.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Caving into giving Edge everything is part of our problem. We need to stop trying to push James at all costs and get the WR's the ball in quick hitting plays. We need to get in a position where our horrible line can hurt us the least.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He is playing hard, but he is not as fast as he was before,” Green said.

Glad to hear this from Green. It means Dansby won't be released this week.

Reaction score
Caving into giving Edge everything is part of our problem. We need to stop trying to push James at all costs and get the WR's the ball in quick hitting plays. We need to get in a position where our horrible line can hurt us the least.
Agreed! Play to your strengths, the passing game in the Cardinals case.

seesred

Reaction score
Edge will get his touches, what I really liked is that Dansby might start. He is a difference maker on defense. This will be the start of Dansbys contract run.

GBR

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I don't know what to expect frankly.

I have no earthly idea what they have up their sleeve.

The problem as I see it is that our offense will be compressed to the extent that Matt can't be expected to chuck it deep or could he?

Fitz and Leinart could be real special together because I think Matt has the ability to throw jump balls like nobodies business, I again have no idea what they will do but they have to stretch the field and it has to work so that the defense can't just worry about a compressed field or it'll just be a slow death for us and a lot of plays for little yards.

I'm excited to see how this plays out, the Cardinals have succeeded in making a 1-3 start as exciting as it can be, I herby call upon the reserve of good luck we've stored up for 50 years and summon it to begin reversing now.

:stick: :stick: :koolaid: :thewave: :jedi:

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I herby call upon the reserve of good luck we've stored up for 50 years and summon it to begin reversing now.

:stick: :stick: :koolaid: :thewave: :jedi:

If you were to take all the good luck the Cardinals have had in the last 50 years and rolled it up into a ball - you could place that ball into a gnat's navel and still have enough room left over for a carraway seed.

The Shark

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
If you were to take all the good luck the Cardinals have had in the last 50 years and rolled it up into a ball - you could place that ball into a gnat's navel and still have enough room left over for a carraway seed.

The Shark

Exactly so somewhere is a huge pool of stored luck, it's so massive as to be bending the rules of the universe and I say enough of that already, time to let it out and get some things done.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly so somewhere is a huge pool of stored luck, it's so massive as to be bending the rules of the universe and I say enough of that already, time to let it out and get some things done.

I am concerned that the Bears broke into our vault and stole our reserves. That is the only way I can think of to explain Rex Grossman.

The Shark

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
II herby call upon the reserve of good luck we've stored up for 50 years and summon it to begin reversing now.
Here's a graphical representation of what our luck reserves are doing to the space-time continium. It's so weighty that it has it's own gravitational pull.

Last edited:

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Who cares about 'touches', let's see some yards! I'd rather him have only 4 touches with 132 yards than 132 touches and 4 yards.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Our luck sucks the chrome off of a trailer hitch!!

A golfball and a garden hose come to mind.

Seriously they have to take it into account when doing calculations of asteroid hits, it's starting to become an attractant for smaller space born bodies.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
That would be stupid and very predictable to do... but what else can you expect from Rowen??

They will be playing eight in the box almost entire game. James won't be going anywhere especially with this line non-blocking. I guess we will be seeing bunch of three and outs...

I hope that is not the case...