Jay-Z, Foo Fighters and Go-Go's elected to Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on first try

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jay-Z, Foo Fighters and Go-Go's elected to Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on first try

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-foo-fighters-jay-z-go-gos/

Jay-Z, Foo Fighters and the Go-Go's were elected Wednesday to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame their first time on the ballot, leading a class that also includes Tina Turner, Carole King and Todd Rundgren. Each will be honored during an induction ceremony in Cleveland on October 30 before what organizers hope is a full house of fans enjoying live music again.

The hall will also welcome LL Cool J, Billy Preston and Randy Rhoads with musical excellence awards, and honor Kraftwerk, Gil Scott Heron and Charley Patton as early influencers.

With Jay-Z, the hall inducts a 23-time Grammy winner and the first rap artist in the Songwriters Hall of Fame. His discography includes "Hard Knock Life," "99 Problems" and "Empire State of Mind." He has had 14 No. 1 albums to his credit.

After serving as Nirvana's drummer, Dave Grohl stepped to center stage with Foo Fighters, becoming one of the few modern rock bands comfortable in arenas. Their hard-hitting sound produced the hits "Best of You," "Everlong" and "Times Like These."

As an all-female band that played their own instruments, the Go-Go's were a relative rarity in the early 1980s. Born from Los Angeles' punk rock scene, they had a string of melodic hits that included "We Got the Beat," "Our Lips Are Sealed" and "Vacation."

Turner, recently celebrated in an HBO documentary, was one of rock's most stirring comeback stories. After escaping from an abusive relationship with husband and musical partner Ike Turner, she became a solo star in the 1980s behind the world-weary "What's Love Got to Do With It," and scored other hits with "Private Dancer" and "We Don't Need Another Hero."

King's life was celebrated in the Broadway musical "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical." Stepping forward following a career writing songs for others, her 1971 album "Tapestry" became one of music's best-selling albums of all time. Hits include "It's Too Late," "You've Got a Friend" and "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman."

A power pop pioneer, Rundgren is known for melodic hits like "Hello It's Me," "I Saw the Light" and "We Gotta Get You a Woman." With "Bang the Drum All Day," he's also responsible for the song most celebrated by hooky players everywhere.

More at the link: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-foo-fighters-jay-z-go-gos/

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
getting to be? It’s been for a long time

The GoGo’s? Hall of famers? Yeah no

I think they've pretty much run out of worthy artists or are getting mighty close. They induct 5 a year or so, but these days we're lucky to get 1 worthy artist per decade.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In an age of quantized e-drums and autotune, I give the Go-Go's a lot of credit for writing their own stuff and playing their own instruments. There weren't many all-female bands in the early 80's doing that and having success like they did.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In an age of quantized e-drums and autotune, I give the Go-Go's a lot of credit for writing their own stuff and playing their own instruments. There weren't many all-female bands in the early 80's doing that and having success like they did.

They were a pioneer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat