jayson Williams acquitted on aggravated manslaughter

sunsfn

Reaction score
Associated Press
SOMERVILLE, N.J. -- Former NBA star Jayson Williams was acquitted Friday of the most serious charge against him, aggravated manslaughter. The jury said it could not agree on the charge of reckless manslaughter.

Williams, 36, was found guilty on four of the six lesser charges, related to tampering with evidence and attempting to cover up the shooting.

Charges Jayson Williams faced
(verdict and max prison sentences)
Aggravated manslaughter:

Not guilty
Reckless manslaughter:

No decision
(10 years)
Possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose:

Not guilty
Aggravated assault:

Not guilty
Hindering apprehension:

Guilty
(5 years)
Tampering with witnesses:

Guilty
(5 years)
Tampering with evidence:

Guilty
(18 months)
Fabricating physical evidence:

Guilty
(18 months)

Collectively, the charges carry a maximum penalty of 13 years in prison. But Williams would probably receive a sentence of less than five years, the maximum for the most serious count. No date was set for sentencing.

It was not immediately clear whether he would be retried on the reckless manslaughter charge. A scheduling conference to determine a possible trial date was set for May 21.

The jurors had deliberated for almost 23 hours when Juror No. 5 sent the judge a note shortly after 3 p.m. Its contents were not disclosed. In response, the judge asked the jurors to return to the deliberation room and send him another note explaining whether they believed it was worthwhile to continue deliberations.

The jurors quickly sent a note back saying they could only reach a partial verdict.

The jury said Thursday that it had reached a decision on six of the charges, but could not agree on two others.

The jury then requested to rehear testimony from three of the witnesses against the retired NBA star. The readbacks began shortly after 9 a.m. Friday, the fourth day of deliberations for the eight women and four men who have sat since Feb. 10 on the case, which stems from the shooting of a hired driver, Costas "Gus" Christofi.

Williams could have faced up to 55 years in prison if convicted on all counts.

Williams displayed no emotion as he stood with his lawyers. After the verdict was completed, he sat down in his chair, leaned back and kissed his wife, Tanya, who was seated behind him. He remains free on bail.

He did not speak to reporters as he left the courtroom holding hands with his wife.

One criminal defense expert, attorney Alan Zegas, was not surprised Williams was acquitted of the most serious charges.

"I view what happened as a victory for the defense," said Zegas, a noted New Jersey defense attorney.

"On the use of the gun, I think most criminal practicioners would say that the center issue was whether the use was reckless, and the jury divided on that issue."

The shooting took place as Williams was giving friends and members of the Harlem Globetrotters a tour of his mansion in western New Jersey in the early hours of Feb. 14, 2002.

Testimony showed that Williams took a loaded shotgun from a cabinet, cracked it open, turned, uttered an obscenity at Christofi and snapped it closed. It then fired once, sending 12 pellets into Christofi's chest. The 55-year-old died within minutes.

Five witnesses testified that Williams then wiped down the shotgun, and four said Williams placed it in the victim's hands.

The defense has maintained the shooting was an accident and that the gun misfired. It has also asserted that the former NBA All-Star was so distraught after the shooting he could not organize a cover-up.

-------------------------------------
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1792869
-------------------------------------------------------

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope he gets some time in the clink

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
No kidding. I stopped following the trial after hearing about him shooting his dog. He seems like a prick.

The article makes it sound like they jury couldnt decide if the use of the gun was reckless. To me it seems pretty reckless, I mean he takes a loaded gun, opens it and snaps it shut pointed at a person..........can it get more reckless?

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After what he did to that dog it shows he's obviously a heartless scumbag. What I would like to know is what was his mood when he shot the driver? Was he pissed off at him? He did yell an obsenity..Did he freak out right after it happened?

The defense probably contended that the gun went off without him pulling the trigger and you should be able to show a gun to your friends without it going off if you aren't touching the trigger... Still pretty weak in my opinion though....

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
The defense probably contended that the gun went off without him pulling the trigger and you should be able to show a gun to your friends without it going off if you aren't touching the trigger... Still pretty weak in my opinion though....
Yep, they said it malfunctioned....the guy never had any remorse for the death of the limo driver, he just wanted to avoid jail

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Just another example of a rich athlete buying his way out of trouble.

If I had done this I'd already be sitting behind bars.

I hope the judge is a merciless *&#@$!

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
I was following the case and him shooting the dog had absolutely nothing to do with it. This is the first time I've heard it. There was almost a mistrial because the prosecution withheld some evidence. There seem to have been a lot of lying going on by the witnesses especially Benoit Benjamin. I think he won the case fair and square. His image may have had a lot to do with it but it was also a bad case from the prosecution.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
No kidding. I stopped following the trial after hearing about him shooting his dog. He seems like a prick.

The article makes it sound like they jury couldnt decide if the use of the gun was reckless. To me it seems pretty reckless, I mean he takes a loaded gun, opens it and snaps it shut pointed at a person..........can it get more reckless?

Sure it can, just add some booze to the equation. :thumbup:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a couple of gun safety rules. When handling a weapon, all guns are loaded until you check them and never point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
I predict he is sentenced to three years in jail and will serve 2 if he stays out of trouble once in the clink. The limo driver's family will sue for plenty and he will sell his house to pay his lawyers and the limo driver's family. He will downsize to a 2 million dollar home here in the valley.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
minercon said:
I predict he is sentenced to three years in jail and will serve 2 if he stays out of trouble once in the clink. The limo driver's family will sue for plenty and he will sell his house to pay his lawyers and the limo driver's family. He will downsize to a 2 million dollar home here in the valley.

The limo driver's family filed and settled their civil lawsuit over a year ago. Court TV said they settled for around $ 2 million. I guess the valley is spared from Jayson Williams.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Missed that one, which is rather unusual for me. They must have had a lousy lawyer or a very DUMB one at that!!!!