Jeremy Shockey anyone?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we are going to get a TE in FA then let's not get one who is on the wrong side of 30 and injury prone.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
No one can argue that Shockey is an upgrade at TE. Taking into account how often the Cards play 3-4 WR sets then Shockey will have limited time on the field thus reducing the chance he misses a lot of games.

I am all for signing him because not only would he upgrade the position he has the winning bloodline which this team need more of.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it was Sommers who reported/tweeted or some such thing that Shockey has a horrible attitude with the press and several Saints are tired of his antics. Same reason he was traded by the Giants.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Do you see him or any other good TEs making an impact here besides blocking? Doesn't some of it depend on what QB we get here?

This.

Shockey is a huge upgrade over what we currently have on the roster, even if he's only healthy for 8 games a season...but he's no blocker, and that's the main problem I would have with the Cards signing him.

It's not that he can't block, he simply refuses to block, and that's what concerns me.

Show me a Whisenhunt offensive gameplan that uses the TE as at least a third option, and I would be more apt to believe that Shockey would be a difference-maker.

Besides which...Shockey is a cry-baby. It would be embarrassing, to me as a fan, to see him choking back the tears, sitting on the bench, after twisting his ankle or taking a hard shot to the ribs.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if Shockey wants the Cards, but I hope the Cards want him. I could see him ending up in many other places first, like a playoff contending team, or the Dolphins. Jimmy Graham looks like the next Super star TE, and New Orleans needs more playing time for him.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides which...I ama cry-baby. It would be embarrassing, to other fans seeing me choking back the tears, sitting on the stands, after twisting my ankle going to the restroom or taking a hard shot to the ribs from an opposing fan.

ftfy

and yet, the Cards accept me as a fan...:D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This.

Shockey is a huge upgrade over what we currently have on the roster, even if he's only healthy for 8 games a season...but he's no blocker, and that's the main problem I would have with the Cards signing him.

It's not that he can't block, he simply refuses to block, and that's what concerns me.

Show me a Whisenhunt offensive gameplan that uses the TE as at least a third option, and I would be more apt to believe that Shockey would be a difference-maker.

Besides which...Shockey is a cry-baby. It would be embarrassing, to me as a fan, to see him choking back the tears, sitting on the bench, after twisting his ankle or taking a hard shot to the ribs.

Isn't that kind of a chicken-and-egg scenario? With no TE better than your 3rd RB, why would you implement him into a game plan? With Breaston likely leaving in free agency, it makes the acquisition of offensive weapons even more important.

That being said, I disagree with the thesis that Shockey doesn't like to block. He's a very effective and willing blocker. He's not Heath Miller or Jason Witten, but he's not Kellen Winslow, either. He's certainly a better blocker than Stephen Spach even right now.

Reaction score
LittleDavis said:
Patrick 15 for 123
Dray 3 for 47

Our TE's 18 for 170 0 td's
Shockey 41 for 408 3td's
Do the Cardinals not use their TE's because they don't have a good one; or do the Cardinals not have a good TE because they dont' use them? :shrug:

Re: Schockey - he has been jettisoned from two teams because he is a poor teammate, with a bad attitude. Don't want him!

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Isn't that kind of a chicken-and-egg scenario? With no TE better than your 3rd RB, why would you implement him into a game plan? With Breaston likely leaving in free agency, it makes the acquisition of offensive weapons even more important.

That being said, I disagree with the thesis that Shockey doesn't like to block. He's a very effective and willing blocker. He's not Heath Miller or Jason Witten, but he's not Kellen Winslow, either. He's certainly a better blocker than Stephen Spach even right now.

As to Shockey's blocking ability; he is rarely effective, and even less willing for the most part...at least in my opinion.

I know we're watching the same games, but perhaps we just have a different standard as to just what an effective blocking TE is.

I wish I had access to NFL films when it comes down to discussions about players, which is why I normally stay away from making statements about ability that can't be backed up by video. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Also, I'll have to find the interview from a couple of years ago when he said that he "doesn't like to block, and that he's not paid to block."

That said, I do agree that he'd be an instant upgrade at TE over anyone the Cards have had playing the position the past 10+ years. Chicken-or-the-egg not withstanding, it would be nice to have a legitimate threat at the position.

Reaction score
As to Shockey's blocking ability; he is rarely effective, and even less willing for the most part...at least in my opinion.

I know we're watching the same games, but perhaps we just have a different standard as to just what an effective blocking TE is.

I wish I had access to NFL films when it comes down to discussions about players, which is why I normally stay away from making statements about ability that can't be backed up by video. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Also, I'll have to find the interview from a couple of years ago when he said that he "doesn't like to block, and that he's not paid to block."

That said, I do agree that he'd be an instant upgrade at TE over anyone the Cards have had playing the position the past 10+ years. Chicken-or-the-egg not withstanding, it would be nice to have a legitimate threat at the position.

Hi, Saints fan here. I come in peace :D

But in regards to Shockey's blocking ability, he is pretty damn good. Yes, earlier in his career he was a pretty immature *** hole but overtime he has become a much more mature, "do it for the team" type of guy. He blocks pretty well though, we used him a lot as a blocker and he is pretty effective at sealing the edge.

Saints fans are pretty bummed to see him go, although we saw it coming. With the emergence of Jimmy Graham, and Shockey's price tag and dwindling production, it just was a no brainer. We hoped he would restructure but I think the Saints just rather move on in a new direction and start clearing some cap space. He's a good team guy though and still has a good 2 or 3 years of production left in him. He is pretty injury prone, not because he is fragile, but he plays with such furiosity and physicality, it takes its toll on him. He's probably not an every down TE any more, but he is guy that can go and get you 35-50 catches a season and a dangerous redzone threat.

He also gets fans and teammates fired up. If you look at any Saints game, he is usually the first on over there if a player makes a TD to congratulate them. And he is just one of those fiery guys that gets people hype. He HATES the media and the media hates him, so he does get some bad press. But his teammates here love him to death, and he has been nothing but a class act in the city. I've seen him around a few times and he was always friendly.

Last edited:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patrick 15 for 123
Dray 3 for 47

Our TE's 18 for 170 0 td's
Shockey 41 for 408 3td's

HMMMMM...could he be any worse?

Do the Cardinals not use their TE's because they don't have a good one; or do the Cardinals not have a good TE because they dont' use them? :shrug:

I was going to answer that, yes, he could be worse if the Cards refuse to use the TE position and he can't remain healthy. I think CardLogic brings up a good point here.

Re: Schockey - he has been jettisoned from two teams because he is a poor teammate, with a bad attitude. Don't want him!

My first inclination is I don't want him either. I think his best days are behind him. And, if the attitude talk is true, the Bidwills won't bring him in here anyway.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's probably not an every down TE any more, but he is guy that can go and get you 35-50 catches a season and a dangerous redzone threat.

Well, that sure as heck would be an improvement on our team, but then again almost anything would be an improvement at the TE position. And, for as little as the Cards use the TE, we wouldn't need him to be an every down guy anyway.

Thanks for the post, BTW. Always nice to hear from fans that have more experience with a player than most of us do.

Reaction score
I was going to answer that, yes, he could be worse if the Cards refuse to use the TE position and he can't remain healthy. I think CardLogic brings up a good point here.

My first inclination is I don't want him either. I think his best days are behind him. And, if the attitude talk is true, the Bidwills won't bring him in here anyway.

As I said earlier. Him being release had nothing to do with his attitude or team playing ability. Players loved Shockey, he was a great team mate, and a true team player. He never had any issues here in regards to his attitude. He is a weird guy and he is not a media friendly guy at all, but when it comes to his team he literally put his body on the line every snap. I was worried when we traded for him in 08, he didnt seem like a "Saints, team first" type of guy...but I guess he has matured a lot since the NYG days. You would be hard pressed to find anyone in New Orleans to say one bad thing about Shockey besides a media person.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, Saints fan here. I come in peace :D

But in regards to Shockey's blocking ability, he is pretty damn good. Yes, earlier in his career he was a pretty immature *** hole but overtime he has become a much more mature, "do it for the team" type of guy. He blocks pretty well though, we used him a lot as a blocker and he is pretty effective at sealing the edge.

Saints fans are pretty bummed to see him go, although we saw it coming. With the emergence of Jimmy Graham, and Shockey's price tag and dwindling production, it just was a no brainer. We hoped he would restructure but I think the Saints just rather move on in a new direction and start clearing some cap space. He's a good team guy though and still has a good 2 or 3 years of production left in him. He is pretty injury prone, not because he is fragile, but he plays with such furiosity and physicality, it takes its toll on him. He's probably not an every down TE any more, but he is guy that can go and get you 35-50 catches a season and a dangerous redzone threat.

He also gets fans and teammates fired up. If you look at any Saints game, he is usually the first on over there if a player makes a TD to congratulate them. And he is just one of those fiery guys that gets people hype. He HATES the media and the media hates him, so he does get some bad press. But his teammates here love him to death, and he has been nothing but a class act in the city. I've seen him around a few times and he was always friendly.

great perpective and great post, welcome to ASFN.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I said earlier. Him being release had nothing to do with his attitude or team playing ability. Players loved Shockey, he was a great team mate, and a true team player. He never had any issues here in regards to his attitude. He is a weird guy and he is not a media friendly guy at all, but when it comes to his team he literally put his body on the line every snap. I was worried when we traded for him in 08, he didnt seem like a "Saints, team first" type of guy...but I guess he has matured a lot since the NYG days. You would be hard pressed to find anyone in New Orleans to say one bad thing about Shockey besides a media person.

Saw your post after I posted that comment. Definitely good to hear from someone who watches him play every week and who has met him in person.

I admit part of my bias against him may stem from when I lived in Jersey and heard a bunch of crap about him. (I was NEVER a Giants fan, but they were one of the teams in my market, so I got to hear about them frequently.)

My main concern is less about his attitude and more about him staying healthy.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's the off season, I like coming on other people's boards and hearing other perspectives.

Good to have you aboard. I gotta tell ya ... everytime I saw that Saints Super Bowl commercial this year, I had to say "why couldn't have that been us the year before?" :bang:

Glad you guys got a Super Bowl win. I don't mind the Saints and I love the city of New Orleans.

Reaction score
My main concern is less about his attitude and more about him staying healthy.

Yep, that was probably his biggest reason for being cut. They guy cant even make it through Training camp without passing out or something.

But if your lucky enough to get 12-14 games out of him in a season you will get some good production. You just gotta be smart with how you use him so he doesnt get much wear and tear. Sean Payton likes to use, 2 and 3 TE sets so Shockey got a lot of miles put on him here.

Reaction score
Good to have you aboard. I gotta tell ya ... everytime I saw that Saints Super Bowl commercial this year, I had to say "why couldn't have that been us the year before?" :bang:

Glad you guys got a Super Bowl win. I don't mind the Saints and I love the city of New Orleans.

Yeah, I pulled for you guys in the SB43. Always was a big Kurt Warner fan and a HUGE Larry Fitz fan. I keep hoping we will steal him from u guys but I doubt it ;)

The thing about Arizona, you guys are only a few key players away from being contenders again. You guys dont have to totally rebuild like Carolina or the Broncos. Shoot, you guys sent us home packing this year. DRC is still a beast. Fitz is still a beast. Breaston is good, I like Tim Hightower. I dont really know whats with Beanie Wells, I though he would be a great RB.

But all you guys need is a solid QB, some help on the D-line and Oline, maybe a good FS, a TE, and maybe another RB to complement Hightower and Beanie. Reggie might be getting cut soon, he might be a guy you want to take a look at.

OP
OP
LittleDavis

LittleDavis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, I pulled for you guys in the SB43. Always was a big Kurt Warner fan and a HUGE Larry Fitz fan. I keep hoping we will steal him from u guys but I doubt it ;)

The thing about Arizona, you guys are only a few key players away from being contenders again. You guys dont have to totally rebuild like Carolina or the Broncos. Shoot, you guys sent us home packing this year. DRC is still a beast. Fitz is still a beast. Breaston is good, I like Tim Hightower. I dont really know whats with Beanie Wells, I though he would be a great RB.

But all you guys need is a solid QB, some help on the D-line and Oline, maybe a good FS, a TE, and maybe another RB to complement Hightower and Beanie. Reggie might be getting cut soon, he might be a guy you want to take a look at.
I would say that you handed us that game.

I agree we need a solid QB and O-line help but our D-line and our FS are pretty good. We need a stud SILB and a stud SOLB.

Reaction score
I would say that you handed us that game.

I agree we need a solid QB and O-line help but our D-line and our FS are pretty good. We need a stud SILB and a stud SOLB.

Who is your FS, Im having trouble remembering.

I forgot you guys were switching to a 3-4, so yes, there will have to be upgrades at the linebacker position.