JJ clearly behind Shipp ...

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah just like Thomas Jones. Care to
spend a few months going up and back on RB's who developed versus guys with big pr who failed. I don't think you care to do that as the results are overwhelming.
There are plenty of running backs whose production increased after the first few years. Here are two decent running backs that took a couple of years to get going.

OJ Simpson

Tiki Barber

I understand that there are a higher percentage of running backs the hit the ground running but to say that a running back that doesn't show anything right away will never be any good is just false. I definately question whether JJ will be any good but considering the line that he ran behind his rookie season, and that he barely saw the field last year, I think that there may be a chance that there is something there that we haven't seen. Personally, between James, Shipp & Arrington, I think that Arrington is more of a homerun threat if the line creates a hole. JJ's rushing average his rookie year was higher than Shipp's and he had more TDs. His rushing average his rookie year was only 0.1 yds fewer than James last year. Maybe if we had fed him the ball 337 times like we did James we would have been talkin about JJ being the first 1000 yd rusher since Adrian Murrell.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I believe we will take a tackle or versatile O lineman with our pick.
An RB may be in the looks later. But, I also believe JJ improved leaps and bounds last year. If he seems to be continuing on that track ,this year, he stays. MOF I'm bettin he's on the roster come starting day anyway.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't begin to say how much I disagree with that; I believe it is exactly the opposite. I expect Shipp to have the best year of his career; he is healthy and hungry.

He's 29, and stuck behind Edge. I mean he'll still help the team on special teams and get some carries here and there like he did late in the season. But if you can't beat Shipp out for backup RB, as it appears JJ can't, that
says something about you because it's not like Shipp is a rising star.

I like Shipp, always have, but at this stage of his career he is a backup RB.

Which makes JJ left out entirely if he can't move in front of Shipp.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, Russ. Good to see you, man. Where you been?

Let's just wait until the pads come on and there's contact...right now the depth charts are moot. If J.J. starts hitting the holes faster and just as hard as anyone else, he'll get his touches.

Of course, all of this could be rendered moot if the Cards draft AP.

BTW, would you take AP at #5 with Thomas and Brown still available, Russ?

I never left been mainly talking about college hoops on the college board and annoying USC fans on a USC basketball site.

:D

Yep I was one of the early adopters to the if Peterson is there you take the best player.

I just have a fear of Wisconsin players, and I haven't seen enough of Brown
to know.

I was watching ESPN this morning, they had Tampa Bay on the clock, and they said even the Bucs willhave discussions on picking Peterson if he's there. #4 pick, cadillac and Pittman, but they said Gruden has openly said he likes 2 back systems, and would consider Peterson. Maybe he's bluffing trying to get Calvin Johnson, but they all said the same thing, almost every team is considering Peterson it's a question of who goes and drafts him.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant believe it is even a discussion, if JJ was ahead of shipp id be askin whiz to get me some of what hes smokin

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
JJ is a product of Roy Williams "welcome to the NFL" hit that he never recovered from...he reminds me of Greg Louganis every time he is about to be hit!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
JJ is a product of Roy Williams "welcome to the NFL" hit that he never recovered from...he reminds me of Greg Louganis every time he is about to be hit!

Wasn't it Sean Taylor that made JJ crumble at his feet 2 yards behind the line on a 3rd & 2 play? In all my years watching highschool, college and pro football, and have never seen a RB *** out like that... ever!

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Wasn't it Sean Taylor that made JJ crumble at his feet 2 yards behind the line on a 3rd & 2 play? In all my years watching highschool, college and pro football, and have never seen a RB *** out like that... ever!

That he did...and it cost us a chance to win...JJ was still feeling the affects of the Roy Williams career-ending hit on at the beginning of the season!:rolleyes: He is Toast!:gun:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
He's a poor man's Leland McElroy....

It's too bad. Really, the Cards didn't flub on that pick, per se, because he was highly regarded coming into the league, but we could have had Barber or the big RB from NYG (his name escapes me even though he was on my FF League all year :confused: )....

Brandon Jacobs would NOT have been an option at draft time. Marion Barber would have been.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
He's 29, and stuck behind Edge. I mean he'll still help the team on special teams and get some carries here and there like he did late in the season. But if you can't beat Shipp out for backup RB, as it appears JJ can't, that
says something about you because it's not like Shipp is a rising star.

I like Shipp, always have, but at this stage of his career he is a backup RB.

Which makes JJ left out entirely if he can't move in front of Shipp.

Fair enough.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shipp is a VERY good #2, contrary to what the dissers have tried to put om hi year after year. The latest dispelled myth was he can't core in the red zone.
He just doesn't go away, keeps getting better at something (every year) and every coach likes him! HMMMM. There has got to be an up side to this guy. Although many people on this board make ihm sound like practice squad material! HMMMm, what could it be that the nay-sayers see that I don't?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hmmm... Is it his 3.7 YPC career average? Or the 2.4 YPC average he put up last season?

Shipp did have the highest single season Ypc average of any of the Cardinals leading rushers over the last 10 years though. His 4.4ypc in 2002 ranks right up there with that other stud Cardinal RB LeShon Johnson who went for 4.5 in 1996. In fact Shipp is the only Cardinal RB not named Johnson to lead the Cards in rushing and average over 4 ypc since the team's first season in Arizona.

The Cards have had more rushing yards than their opponents twice in the last 20 years! 1988 and 1994.

Has there ever been a franchise so inept at one aspect of their game?

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't know K-9. Hmmm. Perhaps it's just like a meandog. You may make him whimper, you may think ya got him beat ,then all of sudden he's on you. AND, if he's anything like mine, you better know how to get him off or he ain't coming. Point, i know I took the long way, it took the dog a long time to figure out what a real threat was and what wasn't. I't's taking Shipp some time but each year he gets better at something. AND, whatever that intangible is, he's got it. Because every coaching regime keeps him around.
I, for one, am glad, because I've sung his praises from the gate. Then Edge comes along and I thought he was surely just a door kick in the ass away rom gone.
Something keeps the guy here, in every camp. NO MATTER who's in camp!

Go with it or not, the guys a great #2 and JJ ain't going anywhere. He has his role solidified
OH, I don't think I heard 1 not 1 Cards fan complain about his scoring ability last year./ What's this years rap?
I never liked him since day 1 so psychologically it's impossible for me to like him now, because, I'd then have to admit, everything I've believed about everything could be wrong!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Whatever it is that he's getting better at each year, none of them have been running the football. His yardage average has gone down every season that he's played.

The guy is not a "great #2." Michael Turner is a great number 2. Ladell Betts is a great #2. Cedric Benson was a great #2. Ricky Williams was a great #2. Brandon Jacobs was a great #2. Tatum Bell was a great #2. Marcel Shipp isn't even that good of a #3 by all measures except deluded fan support.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Not even a good #3 and he's been the Cards leading rusher three of the last 5 years. :eek:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh Lord, don't get k9 stirred up on this again. Just let this die, please.

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
That he did...and it cost us a chance to win...JJ was still feeling the affects of the Roy Williams career-ending hit on at the beginning of the season!:rolleyes: He is Toast!:gun:

a preseason game at that......

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well then,even though it was a "BACKDOOR" insult, let me enjoy my delussional state and admit, you weere hsappy when he scored last year.' Oh, and of course his yards per carry are going to go down when he's only in there on certain situations. Given the number of different variables that go ino that, for very other runner. This is one "disillusioned fan that's pretty happy with him. AND, SO are all the COACHING REGIMES!
Go get him tiger!