Joe Johnson Placed on Craigslist by Hawks Fan

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
Let's offer him a veteran minimum contract. We could use a back-up in case J-Rich or Barbosa suffer an injury. ;)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although it took awhile, it now seems the Suns eventually ended up with the better end of the JJ sign and trade with Atlanta by trading Diaw to Charlotte.

The Suns acquired Jason Richardson, Jared Dudley and a 2010 second-round draft choice for shooting guard Raja Bell, forward Boris Diaw and rookie point guard Sean Singletary.

I like to look at the trade this way. :)

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Johnson has always been overrated. Of course, when we would say that in the past, we would get ripped for saying it. Nice to finally see other people accept the fact that Johnson is not anything that resembles a superstar.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If JJ gets his attitude adjusted, I'd take him for $8 to 10 mil a year.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Johnson has always been overrated. Of course, when we would say that in the past, we would get ripped for saying it. Nice to finally see other people accept the fact that Johnson is not anything that resembles a superstar.

If someone rated him as a superstar, then he's overrated. If someone rated him as the difference between the Suns winning a championship and the Suns not winning a championship, then that person properly rated him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If someone rated him as a superstar, then he's overrated. If someone rated him as the difference between the Suns winning a championship and the Suns not winning a championship, then that person properly rated him.

The latter is probably true.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I bumped the jj signs with atlanta thread during 2007 postseason when he was ballin'.

To be fair I should have bumped the past few days when he has been by far the biggest failure in the playoffs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although it took awhile, it now seems the Suns eventually ended up with the better end of the JJ sign and trade with Atlanta by trading Diaw to Charlotte.

The Suns acquired Jason Richardson, Jared Dudley and a 2010 second-round draft choice for shooting guard Raja Bell, forward Boris Diaw and rookie point guard Sean Singletary.

I like to look at the trade this way. :)

I think we always got the better end of that deal simply by not paying a player a lot more than he deserves. Some will argue that he must have been worth it because you're worth whatever the market will bear but that is really only relevant from the players standpoint. Joe is a great number 3 or number 4 option and paying him like a number one is pretty much a killer for an organization.

This Craigslist idea is hilarious and appropriate. If Atlanta brings everyone back except Johnson and they spend the money to hire an actual basketball coach the Hawks could be improved even if they fail to replace their superstar. Especially if they can find some sucker willing to bet big on the future of Marvin Williams.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If JJ gets his attitude adjusted, I'd take him for $8 to 10 mil a year.

I'd take him at 8 mil also but he's never going to get his attitude adjusted. He was like that in college and I suspect the Celtics saw in him the same things he's occasionally shown the rest of the world. You can't count on this guy. His nickname ought to be Casper because no one disappears better than him.

Steve

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
I'd take him at 8 mil also but he's never going to get his attitude adjusted. He was like that in college and I suspect the Celtics saw in him the same things he's occasionally shown the rest of the world. You can't count on this guy. His nickname ought to be Casper because no one disappears better than him.

Steve

Marion

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lol that's hilarious. I'd still love to have JJ, but I gotta admit it does seem to have worked out for us in the long, weird run.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
He wasn't meant to be a star. He is a DAMN good role player/3rd best player on the team type of guy.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
JJ on this team we have here is still DEADLY, but that's only because of the role he would fill.

Nash-JJ-Hill-Amare-Lopez

Yeah, I'd run with that anytime....

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
JJ on this team we have here is still DEADLY, but that's only because of the role he would fill.

Nash-JJ-Hill-Amare-Lopez

Yeah, I'd run with that anytime....

For the sake of argument, what makes Johnson that much better than Richardson? If you compare their numbers, the main differences are that Johnson shoots more and has more assists and turnovers. In other words, he's called upon to make more plays, but he's not necessarily any better at converting.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don't compare jj vs. richardson now. Compare jj vs. the 2007/2008 suns.

If we had him then we surely would have won a title. Even if meant he was here and marion wasn't.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the sake of argument, what makes Johnson that much better than Richardson? If you compare their numbers, the main differences are that Johnson shoots more and has more assists and turnovers. In other words, he's called upon to make more plays, but he's not necessarily any better at converting.

Biggest difference for me is that JJ is a better defender with the ability to put up big numbers. He is not as athletic as JRich by any stretch. So, if I had to chose.....I would always take the better defender every time.

Having said that, short of Kobe or someone like that JRich is my second choice. JRich has been tremendous in the playoffs. Let's see how he does against a team that has a tier 1 guard in Kobe.

One thing that cannot happen is that JRich spends so much energy on Kobe that he doesn't have anything in the tanks for offense. We MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST get offensive production from JRich to stand a chance in this series.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
I haven't been around here much lately, so y'all may have seen this already. In any case, I thought this was particularly rich, considering his past. This is a direct quote from JJ, after having been asked about the possibility of playing in Miami as D-Wade's sidekick:

"I played that role already, it doesn't matter. You can still make your stamp on the game. I could care less about being the one or two guy. I just want to win."

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05