Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw

What do you think was the right thing to do?

• Total voters

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dreamcastrocks said:
Explain to me what you do for a living...

What you are saying would be like.....For example, what if I found a revolutionary way to make the size of mp3's 10x smaller than they are now. Do you think that I should share my invention (invention,service, public appearance, whatever) would being properly compensated?

I know I would not. Others may though.

Not even in the same stratosphere as this argument. You're comparing apples to the price of jamluets on Pluto.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The problem is the reports are he asked for 100K and when the NFL said no, suddenly his family was the priority. If he is telling the truth about not asking for money, then I think no big deal. If he asked for 100K, I find it annoying that he made the decision based on money but is using his family as the excuse. I have no idea what the truth is, I do know when Joe was younger he was pretty notorious for demanding high appearance fees at things like memorabilia shows.

I worked for a company years ago that did interactive sports, we tried to get Montana to participate in a game once and he demanded so much money, we wound up using Roger Craig instead. Craig did it for free, well we gave him a free Tshirt.

So it wouldn't surprise me at all if Montana did demand the 100K.

Let me pose this situation to you that was brought up on the Dan Patrick show earlier today:

NFL contacts Montana about being at the pre-game, Montana advises them sorry I just can't do it I have to be at my kids games, NFL talks about what they are offering (i.e. $1000 spending money, 2 superbowl tickets, 2 pre game tickets, 2 1st class flights, cadillac rental, and hotel room, etc), Joe says sorry just can't I promised my kids I would be at thier games, NFL says what would it take to get you to stay, Montana says jokingly pay me $100,000 knowing the NFL probably wont pony up that money and even if they did he wasn't going to accept anyways, and says again sorry but my son's are more important then the hassle of being at the superbowl when I have allready made my promises. End of conversation, then someone at the NFL gets the idea of pressuring Joe by "leaking" the fact that Joe said he would attend for $100,000, and hoping that Joe will be embarressed enough to coem and play rather then have his image tarnished.

Now I'm not saying above is what happened or not, Dan just said he had talked with Joe on Friday before the Super Bowl and Joe had explained about leaving on Friday to him because he had promised his kids that he would be at their games and he was looking forward to getting out of Detroit and back home as soon as possible, so the Family angle was brought up BEFORE the article about the money, so at least the family obligation might very well be true.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Why is his sons game meaningless to either the son or the father but a trivial 2 second face time at the beginning of a none family event isnt meaningless.
I played on plenty of high school sports teams and most of them were pretty meaningless games. My first game ever? Important to me and dad. My last game? That too. The rest of my games? If my dad got a chance to go to the Super Bowl I would have given him a pass, much less be featured with all the guys that were there. Would you hold a grudge against your dad if he got a chance to go to the Super Bowl or World Series? Even Terrel Davis and Kurt Warner commented on how starstruck and special the situation was. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity. A lot of those guys will be dead by SB L so this was the anniversary event to get them all together.

Montana somehow made the time to go to Detroit as a paid representitive of a pharmecudical company during the week, but once the money wasn't there, he was gone. That's the point of all of this. Montana and Bradshaw, who are still cashing in on their NFL celebrity, could care less about the NFL itself. Jake Scott I would cut a little slack since he was in Australia and possibly couldn't get back. I wonder how far in advance the NFL has had this event planned? That could also be part of the problem.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim Kawakami wrote today that he thinks Montana ducked out because he dislikes Steve Young and didn't want to appear with Young because he hates pretending he doesn't dislike him. He said he felt Joe had an axe to grind and decided to stick it to the NFL by demanding 100K or else he'd bail. Had no evidence but he says it's well known among 49er inside circles that Joe blames young for his not staying a 49er, and that once Joe is mad at you, he will NEVER end his grudge.

Said he talked to several insiders last week and they all said they were not at all surprised and that more than one of them had heard that joe was demanding an appearance fee.

Who knows.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Why do so many people in this country believe everything they read or see on TV?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcastrocks
Explain to me what you do for a living...

What you are saying would be like.....For example, what if I found a revolutionary way to make the size of mp3's 10x smaller than they are now. Do you think that I should share my invention (invention,service, public appearance, whatever) would being properly compensated?

I know I would not. Others may though.

Not even in the same stratosphere as this argument. You're comparing apples to the price of jamluets on Pluto.

Disagree. What Joe Montana gave to the NFL and to the average fan was a service. Most people have to pay to receive a service. Joe Montana and the NFL could not agree on proper compensation for the service. Creating a new mp3 format is an invention, that provides a service to people. Comparison is valid.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is their decision, not ours and we should respect their right to make that decision regardless of their reasons.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW...

It has been well publicized that many athletes do not attend athletic events they are not part of. It's hard on them not to be able to participate. Some people have to move on rather than live in the "glory days". Montana said as much when he said he has moved past football.

In all likelihood, the "kids game" excuse is just that...an excuse...but what right do I have to question what someone legally does with their free time?

Maybe people should mind their own business.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Maybe people should mind their own business.
C'mon, no one's criticizing Montana for wearing blue pants instead of black pants. Yes, in the grand scheme of the universe this is a trivial matter but you can't have it both ways. If you only want to consider things that are monumental or even just "important", you're writing yourself and most of society right off the list. So, unless you're content with never voicing your opinion again, maybe you should reexamine your solution to this discussion.

Now, instead of assuming that this is a misguided attack on Joe's/Terry's family life, I think what they both did could be boiled down to them thinking that either a) the event and fans weren't important to them at this stage or b) they're "better" than the other 30+ MVP's that showed up. Either way, they come off as petty, little phonies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser