John DeFilippo Film Study

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That would work. Draft our QBOTF in the top ten next year and a WR in the second round to grow with the new QB and we should have a good offense for a long time.
DeFilippo is going to get HC offers. He’s not going to accept an OC job.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Xs & Os are only one part of a HC's skill-set.

Is the candidate well-organized?

Does the coach know when to delegate or not delegate

Does the coach have a big Roladex?

Do other well-regarded assistance want to work with the HC?

Is the coach a Big Picture person - as involved with strength, conditioning, nutritional innovation as much as blocking sled stuff?

How does the candidate deal with adversity and handle pressure?

What about dealing with fans & media?

I think a profound mistake happens when a team repeatedly signs a HC to solve "yesterday's biggest problem." Gotta look at the whole package.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
i think 10 wins and a first round road loss in the playoffs was the max potential of this team

they clearly arent a terrible team -- for all our complaining, i suspect the roster is better than we give it credit ----- but even 100% healthy, they arent a true contender

The data suggests that's not the case. Our win expectancy (basically point differential) is just 5.5 games. We're 5-2 in games decided by a TD or less, and 2-6 in games decided by 8 points or more. We lost to the Tom Savage and the Texans by 10 points.

Reaction score
The data suggests that's not the case. Our win expectancy (basically point differential) is just 5.5 games. We're 5-2 in games decided by a TD or less, and 2-6 in games decided by 8 points or more. We lost to the Tom Savage and the Texans by 10 points.

We lost to the Texans with Blaine ''Throw a Pick In the Red Zone'' Gabbert at QB. How does the data figure that in?

Reaction score
Good lord... you think this core could go 13-3 next year?

That’s as ridiculous as saying John Brown is as good or better than Antonio Brown.

Do you guys not remember getting CRUSHED against any team with a pulse the first seven games of the year with Palmer? Lost by 18 to this mediocre Lions team, 11 to a mediocre Cowboys team at home, 30 against Philly, 30 against the Rams.

Do you not remember last year when with a healthy Palmer/DJ when we looked like the exact same shwag ass team we did with or without Palmer this year?

We lost to the Lions the first game of the season when we also lost DJ who was what 40% of the offense? In 2017 we could have just as well gone 13-3 as 3-13. Never know what could have happened with a healthy team.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

Then we have a top 3 coach /staff

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We lost to the Lions the first game of the season when we also lost DJ who was what 40% of the offense? In 2017 we could have just as well gone 13-3 as 3-13. Never know what could have happened with a healthy team.

Sure we do... just look back at last year with pretty much the exact same team but without Calais/Jefferson. Mediocre to the core. But this year minus those two guys was gonna have us at 13-3? No.

As far as injuries, cry me a river. Vikings lost their starting QB/RB/CB and are 12-3. The Eagles lost their MVP Level QB and LT... 2-0. The Pats lost their pro-Bowl WR and LBer/Qb of the D and are cruising towards 13-3. Injuries are part of the game.

Reaction score
Sure we do... just look back at last year with pretty much the exact same team but without Calais/Jefferson. Mediocre to the core. But this year minus those two guys was gonna have us at 13-3? No.

As far as injuries, cry me a river. Vikings lost their starting QB/RB/CB and are 12-3. The Eagles lost their MVP Level QB and LT... 2-0. The Pats lost their pro-Bowl WR and LBer/Qb of the D and are cruising towards 13-3. Injuries are part of the game.

You don't think that Palmer, David Johnson, DJ Humphries, Iupati, Veldheer, & John Brown would equal 5 more wins? If all were healthy I do. Especially the way the defense has been playing. The Vikings, Eagles, & Pats didn't lose near the players we lost.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
You don't think that Palmer, David Johnson, DJ Humphries, Iupati, Veldheer, & John Brown would equal 5 more wins? If all were healthy I do. Especially the way the defense has been playing. The Vikings, Eagles, & Pats didn't lose near the players we lost.
5 more wins? Not a chance. Maybe 2, or 3 max...if everything went right.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

John Brown/Humphries/Iupati are ALWAYS injured. But even if there were miracles and all of those guys played, I see maybe 2 more Ws. Do they beat the Rams either time? No. Do they beat Houston... probably. Maybe they beat Washington... and that's it. We ALWAYS lose to the Seahawks at home. The Rams utterly kicked our asses twice. Where are these 5 more wins you see? We played a cupcake schedule, against teams that also had major injuries (Luck for the Colts), Seattle's entire secondary. I mean, do we get to rewrite history and put Garrapolo on the Niners in your fantasy scenario that 4 of the 6 guys you mention above stay injury free also, because if so, those probably aren't two wins.

And even better... KNOWING that the list of guys you mentioned above are perpetually injured, you think we can go 13-3 next year DEPENDING ON THAT MASH UNIT AGAIN?!

Hell, this is the 2nd time in 4 years Palmer's ended up on IR as well.

Yes, great, if Palmer, Humphries, Iupati, Veldheer and John Brown could defy every bit of health they haven't been able to the last couple years, maybe they'd have a shot at being better next year, but they have proven time and time again, they CAN'T STAY HEALTHY.

Reaction score
John Brown/Humphries/Iupati are ALWAYS injured. But even if there were miracles and all of those guys played, I see maybe 2 more Ws. Do they beat the Rams either time? No. Do they beat Houston... probably. Maybe they beat Washington... and that's it. We ALWAYS lose to the Seahawks at home. The Rams utterly kicked our asses twice. Where are these 5 more wins you see? We played a cupcake schedule, against teams that also had major injuries (Luck for the Colts), Seattle's entire secondary. I mean, do we get to rewrite history and put Garrapolo on the Niners in your fantasy scenario that 4 of the 6 guys you mention above stay injury free also, because if so, those probably aren't two wins.

And even better... KNOWING that the list of guys you mentioned above are perpetually injured, you think we can go 13-3 next year DEPENDING ON THAT MASH UNIT AGAIN?!

Hell, this is the 2nd time in 4 years Palmer's ended up on IR as well.

Yes, great, if Palmer, Humphries, Iupati, Veldheer and John Brown could defy every bit of health they haven't been able to the last couple years, maybe they'd have a shot at being better next year, but they have proven time and time again, they CAN'T STAY HEALTHY.

I'll make a gentleman's wager with you cheese. If the Cards win this weekend you agree with my assessment that they could have went 13-3 this year with a fully healthy roster. If they lose like everyone says they will I'll agree there was no chance in hell they won more than 10. You have the odds in your favor. I have faith in my team in mine.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think the O-line flaws and weak receivers were too much for the Cards to overcome. LA killed our QBs last year and would have this year again. That’s their goal. Humphries loss might have cost a win or two. The guards were never good and Veldheer was a revolving door at RT. The receiver group has not been cocnistently effective since Floyd imploded. I pegged them at 9-7 and considered that optimistic. DJs loss was big, but you could see the line wasn’t opening holes in most games for AP. There’s no question they would have been more competitive without the injuries but I don’t see them winning 13 even healthy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll make a gentleman's wager with you cheese. If the Cards win this weekend you agree with my assessment that they could have went 13-3 this year with a fully healthy roster. If they lose like everyone says they will I'll agree there was no chance in hell they won more than 10. You have the odds in your favor. I have faith in my team in mine.

Lol. A win this weekend wouldn’t change my mind that they could have won 13 games because a win this weekend wouldn’t change the fact that all those injury prone guys are injury prone. It wouldn’t bring back DPOY Candidate Mathieu, Jon Brown, Jefferson, Campbell and Michael Floyd. That’s FIVE massive contributors which helped this team get to 13-3 who can’t ever be depended on health wise or will Left the team... and HAVENT been replaced to even a mediocre degree.

You can have all the faith in the world Cub... and say that as if it’s some sort of slight against me. I don’t really care.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

So in your scenario the rest of the NFL has a bunch of injuries (for example, the Seahawks), but the Cardinals emerge completely unscathed? Why is that more realistic than what actually happened. Depth matters. I think the Cards actually have shown to have solid depth. The problem is that our starters aren't good enough. If we'd had a better #2 WR (or a real #1 and Larry) and a better option at Running Back, I think we'd be in line for a 9-win season and more competitive across the board.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They win this weekend and I think with perfect health, they could have scratched 10 games, but no team has perfect health and the bottom line is the starters just don’t boast 13-3 talent.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So in your scenario the rest of the NFL has a bunch of injuries (for example, the Seahawks), but the Cardinals emerge completely unscathed? Why is that more realistic than what actually happened. Depth matters. I think the Cards actually have shown to have solid depth. The problem is that our starters aren't good enough. If we'd had a better #2 WR (or a real #1 and Larry) and a better option at Running Back, I think we'd be in line for a 9-win season and more competitive across the board.

Completely agree. Cards proved they have depth. Most of the non-injured starters are not good enough.