June 1st. Who will be leaving?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder who will be cut after June 1st. I don't see any major surprises and we don't have to many players that will save a whole lot of cap space.

I would think the "G" Men have their list already made.

I only see 2 guys. Bryant and Shelton.

Does anybody know the cap situation with these 2 players if they were to get cut?
I think Shelton has 3.3 mil coming. If we cut him after June 1st we would reduce that hit to around 1.65 mil and the other 1.65 would count against next years cap, right?

I think we will pick up a journeyman O-lineman after June 1st but other than that I think that this is the group of guys we are going into the season with.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I really don't know what's going to happen with Shelton. If he's not cut before June 1st, why not keep him? Keeping him would:
1. Provide insurance for us.
2. Call Buffalo's bluff (that they are not interested)
3. Raise his trade value when a LT goes down in training camp.

I think Bryant is staying. He would've been cut already if Green wanted him gone.

Cap-wise no one outside the really know what cutting/trading Shelton would mean given his rather complicated contract.
Cutting Bryant would mean a $645,000 cap hit this season and next season

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
I wonder who will be cut after June 1st. I don't see any major surprises and we don't have to many players that will save a whole lot of cap space.

I would think the "G" Men have their list already made.

I only see 2 guys. Bryant and Shelton.

Does anybody know the cap situation with these 2 players if they were to get cut?
I think Shelton has 3.3 mil coming. If we cut him after June 1st we would reduce that hit to around 1.65 mil and the other 1.65 would count against next years cap, right?

I think we will pick up a journeyman O-lineman after June 1st but other than that I think that this is the group of guys we are going into the season with.

HODGINS?

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
BACH said:
I really don't know what's going to happen with Shelton. If he's not cut before June 1st, why not keep him? Keeping him would:
1. Provide insurance for us.
2. Call Buffalo's bluff (that they are not interested)
3. Raise his trade value when a LT goes down in training camp.

I think Bryant is staying. He would've been cut already if Green wanted him gone.

Cap-wise no one outside the really know what cutting/trading Shelton would mean given his rather complicated contract.
Cutting Bryant would mean a $645,000 cap hit this season and next season

I think if we cut Bryant before June 1 we actually lose money, if we do it after we gain money.

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
I think we should keep Shelton and let hime compete for the RG spot.. If he wins it, great if he doesnt then he will provide very good back-up for OT/OG spots.. This will also let him improve his chances of being on the team or getting traded to another team..

I hate the fact of cutting him.. In the past we cut players pretty much knowing that werent going to get picked up be other teams, hat is just the way it was.. Now is different Shelton will get picked up and start for most teams at RT, I think at the most keep him.. His salary is not hurting us and maybe once teams see that we are planning on keeping him them some might step up after training camp or preseason and offer something for him... If not let him compete for the RT or RG sport... Put Shelton at RT and Ross at RG ( he has played there well before..) and kick ass...

Go CArds

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Since the Cards are way under the salary cap limit why would they cut anyone other than to pick up someone else's cut to stay under the roster limit?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Since the Cards are way under the salary cap limit why would they cut anyone other than to pick up someone else's cut to stay under the roster limit?
The rookie pool and Boldin's new deal will pretty much take up our entire cap space.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Absolutely do not cut Shelton. He has trade value. No way should we just give him to somebody. Garrison Hearst turned out to be a great player but we just cut him and that bit us in the butt. Do not just give away value unless you have to (and we don't have to get rid of Shelton....depth would be nice if no one wants to give us anything for him in a trade).

danny l

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Where does everyone get the idea that Shelton has trade value? From the lack of interest by other teams apparently he doesn't. Shelton is not a very good football player,as a matter of fact he wouldn't start for many other teams in the NFL! IMO he is at best a backup. We really don't need him because we can pick up a journeyman lineman to do what he does at a lot less than shelton is making.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ActingWild said:
Absolutely do not cut Shelton. He has trade value. No way should we just give him to somebody. Garrison Hearst turned out to be a great player but we just cut him and that bit us in the butt. Do not just give away value unless you have to (and we don't have to get rid of Shelton....depth would be nice if no one wants to give us anything for him in a trade).

If it was easy to trade Shelton, he'd be gone already. The problem with a trade is his next team has to take on his salary. That's 3 million. Look at the salary cap situation of teams right now. Who can take on Shelton AND sign their rookies?

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48518&page=8

We're talking about just 3 or 4 teams that could do it. And, do any of those really think Shelton is worth that much? Green doesn't, so how many coaches in the league think Shelton is worth that cap hit? Word was it was the Buffalo coaches (according to Donahoe) who shot down the Shelton-Henry trade.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
danny l said:
Where does everyone get the idea that Shelton has trade value? From the lack of interest by other teams apparently he doesn't. Shelton is not a very good football player,as a matter of fact he wouldn't start for many other teams in the NFL! IMO he is at best a backup. We really don't need him because we can pick up a journeyman lineman to do what he does at a lot less than shelton is making.

???

He's not going to end up in the hall of fame, but he's not bad. Plus he conducts himself like a pro. These days, that has value in itself.

I say keep him for depth. Injuries on the o line are too common. If we keep him, I'd wager he'll start at least one game at either RT or LT.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Boldin's deal will not take up the cap. Right now, the Cards have almost $6M to spend on just free agents. Bolden better not be a cap hit of $6M for 2005, that's crazy.

Yes, teams are out of money, but for a starting LT, Shelton is cheap. People who say he has no value are just wrong. Cut him and he'll have teams fighting over him to sign him. And he'll end up getting a nice signing bonus and good money.

He's not being pursued by teams 1) money is tight until June 1st for all NFL teams, 2) Everyone team is just waiting for Green to cut him so they can get him for free.

If the Cards announce they have mended fences with LJ and allow him to compete for a starting job. After June 1st, they will start getting some calls from other NFL teams.

Personally, I would give him a chance at both tackle spots giving Big some push as well. Let the best man win. If he gets injured, so be it. I think he helps improve this football team.

danny l

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Crimson, when Green 1st took the AZ job he had his Oline coach review film and make recommendations. The coach said that there was one maybe 2 linemen who could start on other teams, Big and maybe Kendall. I have to beleive that Green and his staff are good talent evaluators from what I have seen. Besides $3 million a year is not money that you pay a backup for depth.
What part of Ok City are you in? I used to spend quite a bit af time out there playing golf when my son was stationed at Tinker. I thought that it was a nice place.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AntSports Steve said:
Boldin's deal will not take up the cap. Right now, the Cards have almost $6M to spend on just free agents. Bolden better not be a cap hit of $6M for 2005, that's crazy.

Yes, teams are out of money, but for a starting LT, Shelton is cheap. People who say he has no value are just wrong. Cut him and he'll have teams fighting over him to sign him. And he'll end up getting a nice signing bonus and good money.

He's not being pursued by teams 1) money is tight until June 1st for all NFL teams, 2) Everyone team is just waiting for Green to cut him so they can get him for free.

If the Cards announce they have mended fences with LJ and allow him to compete for a starting job. After June 1st, they will start getting some calls from other NFL teams.

Personally, I would give him a chance at both tackle spots giving Big some push as well. Let the best man win. If he gets injured, so be it. I think he helps improve this football team.

:thumbup:

Agree with everything you said. As far as the bolded part, isn't one of the biggest complaints we've had over the years that our guys haven't improved in part because there was no true competition? I love Big but he's notoriously lazy in the offseason. Don't know much about Ross but If they know Shelton is trying to take their job isn't that a good thing? Realistically Big isn't going to lose out to Shelton but it's still good to have him in there competing.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
AntSports Steve said:

Hell I'd even give him a shot at guard. If he can play LT in the NFL even at a marginal level, he should be able to play guard. He's 6'6 and 335 so he should be able to handle NFL DT.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
danny l said:
Where does everyone get the idea that Shelton has trade value?
Whether or not he has trade value is immaterial, IMO. He has value to the Cardinals either as a backup or a starter.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
danny l said:
Crimson, when Green 1st took the AZ job he had his Oline coach review film and make recommendations. The coach said that there was one maybe 2 linemen who could start on other teams, Big and maybe Kendall. I have to beleive that Green and his staff are good talent evaluators from what I have seen. Besides $3 million a year is not money that you pay a backup for depth.
What part of Ok City are you in? I used to spend quite a bit af time out there playing golf when my son was stationed at Tinker. I thought that it was a nice place.

Oh I agree with you danny that Shelton is not a world beater. But I've watched him along with all the rest of the Cardinal players closely on each play (thanks to tivo) and while he'll never be confused with O Pace of the rams or Walter Jones, he holds his own. He's middle of the road. Average. Unspectacular. Servicable. Believe me. We'll be happy we have him if we have to plug him in at LT or RT if Ross or Big get banged up.

Tinker AFB, yeah. Kind of big deal that no one talks about. But its on the other side of town from me. I'm up in N. OKC. By the venerable Quail Springs Mall.

Played at Kickingbird in Edmond? "stinkin" Lincoln or Hefner? I guess your boy moved on to another base?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
It would be plain stupid to cut Shelton. We won't gain much in salary cap and he provides good depth.

Have totally opposite opinion about W Bryant. That useless weight should have been cut by now.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
AntSports Steve said:

I agree with everything you said here, but if Green can cut Kendall like he did, he can cut Shelton the same way too. Although I think the Kendall cut was more about sending a message to the team, it would appear that Shelton has played his last game with the Cards. If Green wanted him around, he would have invited him to spring camp. For whatever reason, Green does not want him on this team.