Just a hunch

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think the Suns are working on a LaFrentz/Marion trade.

• Most of us agree that the plan to sign Richardson makes no sense unless a trade is in the works. With the progress that Johnson seemed to make in the second half of last season, why send him to the bench now? Or, why pay Richardson $6+ million per year to come off the bench?
  • Because it's unknown whether the Clippers will match Richardson, the Suns may have a deal tentatively lined up, with the understanding that they may back out if they lose Richardson. Who would agree to have preliminary talks like that, yet be trusted to keep it quiet? Someone the Suns have a long-term association with -- like Ainge, for instance.
  • The Celtics just renewed their commitment to Blount and have made noise about wanting to keep Mihm. I'm sure LaFrentz can be had for the right price. That can't be said about any other second-tier center, with the possible exception of Dampier.
  • He lost last season to injury, but other than that, LaFrentz has been healthy. He missed, on average, only about five games per season during the four years 1999-2003.
  • Salary and health issues aside, LaFrentz would be a very good fit on the Suns. He is a superb shot-blocker and three-point shooter. He isn't a great rebounder, but that's what Stoudemire is for -- and, incidentally, Richardson is quite a good rebounder for his position, which would help to offset Marion's loss.
  • LaFrentz's contract is bad, but he'll make about $14 million less over the next five years than Marion will. Those are decent savings. And since a straight-up trade favors (edit!) BOSTON, the Suns should be able to get some extra value out of the deal -- not that I know what it is. Maybe Eisley could get worked in there somehow, although it's not clear how.

I'm on the fence about whether this would be a good idea; it can be argued either way. All I'm saying is that I have a hunch it's in the works.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's a pretty specific hunch.

Personally, I don't like it. To trade Marion for LaFrentz straight up would kill the fans in Phoenix. Both players are soft, but at least Marion has more athleticism on the break.

Personally, even if we do end up with Richardson, I'd rather keep Marion than trade him just for LaFrentz alone.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
If a straight up marion for lafrentz trade happens, I would loose all faith in management. marion is infinetly more valuable than lafrentz.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It can't happen straight up -- Boston takes on too much salary, among other reasons. But I think those will be the principal names.

And notice that I said "hunch," not prediction! Chances are it will be wrong.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we were to trade for LaFrentz I'd think an Eisley + Chi Pick would be enough. I really don't see why we would trade Marion for him.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If we were to trade for LaFrentz I'd think an Eisley + Chi Pick would be enough.

My hunch is that this will not be the case. I think the Celtics value LaFrentz much more than that, even if you (or the Suns) don't.

scotsman13

Reaction score
i am sure danny ainge would love to pick up marion for lafranze. that would be a big day in boston history. you get a player who for the most part is an also ran for an all star. one of the best small forwards in the nba.

dont you guys think you are carrying your dislike of marion just a little far with all of these trades even more so for players who are marginal at that.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
i am sure danny ainge would love to pick up marion for lafranze. that would be a big day in boston history. you get a player who for the most part is an also ran for an all star. one of the best small forwards in the nba.

dont you guys think you are carrying your dislike of marion just a little far with all of these trades even more so for players who are marginal at that.
Don't forget only plays half a season every year becouse of injury.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:

For some reason people tend to underestimate marion's value on this and other message boards. I would hope that there would be no way in * that the suns pull this off. The celtics would sign on the dotted line immediatly.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Don't forget only plays half a season every year becouse of injury.

Did you even read my original post?

1. I am not saying this is what the Suns "should" do. I'm guessing that it's something they're working on.

2. Aside from last season, LaFrentz has been quite healthy through his career, especially by big-man standards.

fordronken

Reaction score
elindholm said:
If we were to trade for LaFrentz I'd think an Eisley + Chi Pick would be enough.

My hunch is that this will not be the case. I think the Celtics value LaFrentz much more than that, even if you (or the Suns) don't.

That's true. Ainge doesn't have any kind of history picking up overpriced point guards to help a team get a big guy just to get a draft pick.

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Suns traded Marion for the stiff Raef, I would end my association with the Suns. That would be worse than DJ for Robey, which was nasty!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
slinslin said:
I would not have traded Eisley for LaFrentz straight up when we had capspace left.

Yuck!

I wouldn't go THAT far.

For someone that pretty much likes anyone over 6'10" tall, this post sure is inconsistent.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
cepstrum said:
If a straight up marion for lafrentz trade happens, I would loose all faith in management. marion is infinetly more valuable than lafrentz.

Well, you'd have to look at it as Marion for Richardson and Lafrentz. Which doesnt look too bad.

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would hesitant to trade JJ for Raef. Now if we were talking about the 2000 or 2001 version of Raef, I may consider it. However, health has been a problem for a while. It would be buying low because he trade value is low due to injury and contract, but no way Marion or even JJ goes for the current Raef model.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He missed the entire season and didn't do much at all for the Mavericks at the 5 before. He has something like 5yrs/55M$ left on his contract...

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I just don't see why Marion is supposed to be the one that is going to be traded? I highly doubt it.

Marion is a sure thing and a great fit with Nash. JJ isn't and he is up for an extension next year.

Swap JJ and Chicago's first roud pick for Nene for example.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Now that could work. :thumbup:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Now that could work. :thumbup:
But we still have the problem with the cap. I would make Denver take Howards contract as well.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Lafrenz is horrible!

Why not just Trade Amare for Osterdrag.

There should be a rule that if you're going to make up a trade for the Suns it should at least be percieved by one fan as an upgrade for the Suns.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
slinslin said:
I just don't see why Marion is supposed to be the one that is going to be traded? I highly doubt it.

Marion is a sure thing and a great fit with Nash. JJ isn't and he is up for an extension next year.

Now that I would do real fast....

I also have had LaFrentz popup in my mind. It wouldnt suprise me if the Suns did somehow aquire him...

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
LaFrentz isn't at Marion's level, but it is simply incorrect to say that he is horrible.

He has career averages of 11.9 points, 6.9 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks. That puts him in the top ten among active players in blocks per game. He shoots .500 from two-point range and .363 from three-point range.

He is way better than any center the Suns have had since Mark West, if not even earlier than that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
slinslin said:

I would definitely do that. Wonder if that might be a possibility if they don't sign Manu... :confused:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05