Just curious?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly how many mid-level FAs would you have to sign to eat up 10 million in cap space? Seems to me it would be a lot?

Unless Im mistaken couldnt you fit two big time FAs and a one or two mid-levels as well with that kind of cap room?

So I dont see the Graves bringing in 3-5 mid level guys unless they plan on sitting on cash again this season?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H

So I dont see the Graves bringing in 3-5 mid level guys unless they plan on sitting on cash again this season?

Thats exactly what i think is going to happen. By the end of FA i say we still have over 5 mil left in the bank.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C'mon Shane, curiousity killed the cat and got the teenager pregnant.:D

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Just curious?

Originally posted by azcardsfan1616
Thats exactly what i think is going to happen. By the end of FA i say we still have over 5 mil left in the bank.

We'd better have that much left. That's what it will take for the rookie pool.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Just curious?

Originally posted by 40yearfan
We'd better have that much left. That's what it will take for the rookie pool.

Sorry 40 year that 10.8 million we have is after the rookie pool is already taken out!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Exactly how many mid-level FAs would you have to sign to eat up 10 million in cap space? Seems to me it would be a lot?

Unless Im mistaken couldnt you fit two big time FAs and a one or two mid-levels as well with that kind of cap room?

To quote Metallica, sad but true, I'm afraid :mad:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Just curious?

Sorry 40 year that 10.8 million we have is after the rookie pool is already taken out!

Ahhh, but 1616 said "left in the bank" not left in the free agent money so are we talking cash, cap situation, or how much do I have left on my charge card.:D

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Just curious?

Originally posted by Stout
To quote Metallica, sad but true, I'm afraid :mad:

Ill be pissed if thats the case.

Antsports Steve who is very bright capwise stated in his updated salary cap thread that we could bring in a few big names if the contracts were done properly.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would think you could reasonably bring in 3-4 tier 2 guys and still have a bit left. The problem is, they want to redo Quan's contract in August (according to Jurecki) so they will have to hold money back there. How much would they need to hold back to sign players in case of injuries?

Who on the team will be free agents after this upcoming season and will they be candidates to be re-signed?

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
How much would they need to hold back to sign players in case of injuries?

Thats the biggest crock of bull I have ever seen as an excuse to leave cap space. How many good teams actually do this?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thats the biggest crock of bull I have ever seen as an excuse to leave cap space. How many good teams actually do this?

I don't know but I think Graves has mentioned needing to hold a bit back. Wouldn't that make sense though? I mean, you still have to fit the players brought in under the cap right?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shane, ya scare me. You're starting to sound like my ex-wife. "I've got checks left so I must still have money in the bank". :eek:

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
I don't know but I think Graves has mentioned needing to hold a bit back. Wouldn't that make sense though? I mean, you still have to fit the players brought in under the cap right?

It is true, you have to fit under the cap, but the Cardsinals always 'hold some back' for injuries each year.

It really does seem to be a load of crap. I dont know of any other teams that hold THAT much back.

If you need to sign someone mid season for a roster spot they will make very little money.

For some reason the Cards think they need to hold back in excess of $3million :confused:

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Much like Cardfeak I dont know of anyone that does this. especially in amounts in excess of 1 million like the cards do. The people you are signing are unemployed for the most part how much does it really take to sign them?

If necessary you cut someone.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Cap space as of right now.

15.8 mill.(could be a little lower if we sign some of our RFA to longer term deals)

Minus about 5 mill for cap rookie cap space gives us 10.8 mill.

Lets say 1 mill left in bank for injuries(no matter how we fill about it 1 mill sounds reasonable in cards terms)

gives us 9.8 mill.

If we want to save some for Quan in august when we can give him to a longer term deal. Since most 1st years of long contracts are pretty good on the cap, lets say we save 1 mill for quan.

That gives us about 8.8 mill.

So the question is how much does a middle tier guy cost his first year and how much does a impact FA cost his first year?

IMO a middle tier guy would cost us this year about 1 mill. A impact FA his first year would cost about 3 - 4 mill. If the contracts are long term deals, which means easy on the cap the first few years then start to make the big bucks in around year 3.

So IMO we could get:
1. 8 middle tier guys
2. 2 impact guys and a 2 middle tier.
3. 1 impact guy and 4 middle tier guys.
4. 3 impact guys(maybe)

I see as option #3 as the route we are taking right now.

One more thing to add. Does everyone think we are done with cutting people?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I would think you could reasonably bring in 3-4 tier 2 guys and still have a bit left. The problem is, they want to redo Quan's contract in August (according to Jurecki) so they will have to hold money back there. How much would they need to hold back to sign players in case of injuries?

Who on the team will be free agents after this upcoming season and will they be candidates to be re-signed?

Ask and you shall recieve.

Here are our players that are not under contract next year. The list may seem long but most are camp fodder or no big deal losing. Plus some of the RFA that we have this year may sign long term contracts thus taking them off of this list.

I tried my best to seperate into RFA and UDFA so there may be a few wrong ones in the wrong categories. I also put a * next to guys that are my candidates to be resigned

RFA
*QB - McCown
*QB - Parsons
TE - Diamond
WR - McCaddley
FB - Rue
WR - Poole
WR - Newhouse
*LB - Young
CB - Rhinehart
*DE - Johnson

UFA
RB - Smith
WR - Kasper
*TE - Jones
TE - Banks
OL - Garcia
OL - Grace
OL - Wragge
OL - Rogers
OL - Spikes
OL - Roundtree
*LB - McKinnon
*CB - Hill
CB - Goss
CB - Tate
CB - Joyce
CB - Carter
*S - Wilson
S - Harris
S - Lucas
DE - KVB
DT - Bell

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by joeshmo
Ask and you shall recieve.

Here are our players that are not under contract next year. The list may seem long but most are camp fodder or no big deal losing. Plus some of the RFA that we have this year may sign long term contracts thus taking them off of this list.

I tried my best to seperate into RFA and UDFA so there may be a few wrong ones in the wrong categories. I also put a * next to guys that are my candidates to be resigned

RFA
*QB - McCown
*QB - Parsons
TE - Diamond
WR - McCaddley
FB - Rue
WR - Poole
WR - Newhouse
*LB - Young
CB - Rhinehart
*DE - Johnson

UFA
RB - Smith
WR - Kasper
*TE - Jones
TE - Banks
OL - Garcia
OL - Grace
OL - Wragge
OL - Rogers
OL - Spikes
OL - Roundtree
*LB - McKinnon
*CB - Hill
CB - Goss
CB - Tate
CB - Joyce
CB - Carter
*S - Wilson
S - Harris
S - Lucas
DE - KVB
DT - Bell

Out of all the UFA's we have next year i probably would only keep hill,spikes, and jones. Let the rest walk. Plus i would only tender McCown, and DJ.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I'll Take

Originally posted by joeshmo
Cap space as of right now.

15.8 mill.(could be a little lower if we sign some of our RFA to longer term deals)

Minus about 5 mill for cap rookie cap space gives us 10.8 mill.

Lets say 1 mill left in bank for injuries(no matter how we fill about it 1 mill sounds reasonable in cards terms)

gives us 9.8 mill.

If we want to save some for Quan in august when we can give him to a longer term deal. Since most 1st years of long contracts are pretty good on the cap, lets say we save 1 mill for quan.

That gives us about 8.8 mill.

So the question is how much does a middle tier guy cost his first year and how much does a impact FA cost his first year?

IMO a middle tier guy would cost us this year about 1 mill. A impact FA his first year would cost about 3 - 4 mill. If the contracts are long term deals, which means easy on the cap the first few years then start to make the big bucks in around year 3.

So IMO we could get:
1. 8 middle tier guys
2. 2 impact guys and a 2 middle tier.
3. 1 impact guy and 4 middle tier guys.
4. 3 impact guys(maybe)

I see as option #3 as the route we are taking right now.

One more thing to add. Does everyone think we are done with cutting people?

I'll take door #3.

But first let's see what Jay has in the box.....it's a kick returner that fumbles......a CB that can't cover....and a defensive end who can't sack groceries.