Just remember where trading down got us last year

spanky1

Reaction score
wallyburger,

Bryant Johnson is considered as a "burner" and his 40 speed is an impressive 4.4 You will see him become the vertical threat in Green's system.

As to spending "too much" of your salary cap on WR's......I say poppycock. In business,you spend money where you think you will make money......and in this case Green has said he wants to spread the field with a 3 WR formation. So he's saying, I'll spend my money in this way and balance it out by not overspending on other positions that are less critical to my system. Notice a lack of Portis like dollars in the backfield? Notice a lack of Manning type dollars in the QB position.

Personally, having 3 high quality WR's makes sense from another perspective. Should one be lost to FA or to injury, you are not wiped out and your offensive system does not grind to a complete halt.. It was but one year ago that we went from three decent WR's to none at all.......and if it were not for Boldin's spectacular year, we would have had zero offense altogether.

One man's opinion

OP
OP
J

jolt

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
earthsci said:
Exactly. Hey jolt, take any 6 players out of the draft and you will leave me with at least one player that is being seriously considered as the Cards pick if we stay at three. This isn't last year.

How do you know who they are seriously considering?

The people who actually have contact with Green and Graves say this is a 3 man draft. No one except the fans and media think this team is seriously considering a defensive player at #3.

Just because Sean Taylor and Tommie Harris get brought up on this board does not mean the cardinals are considering them.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
wallyburger,

As to spending "too much" of your salary cap on WR's......I say poppycock. In business,you spend money where you think you will make money......and in this case Green has said he wants to spread the field with a 3 WR formation. So he's saying, I'll spend my money in this way and balance it out by not overspending on other positions that are less critical to my system. Notice a lack of Portis like dollars in the backfield? Notice a lack of Manning type dollars in the QB position.
One man's opinion

I think you just fortified my point, Spanky. " Lack of Portis like dollars in the backfield ". If you add up Emmitt money and Shipp money, you are at Portis dollars without Portis performance. That is an area of need. Spend dollars on Jackson or Jones. Spend smaller dollars on Woods, Clayton, Evans, who all are burners, and get much more bang for your buck. If not, grab Winslow and no one double teams Boldin. I wouldn't spend those bucks on Larry or Mike. No way. Redundancy.

spanky1

Reaction score
wallyburger said:
I think you just fortified my point, Spanky. " Lack of Portis like dollars in the backfield ". If you add up Emmitt money and Shipp money, you are at Portis dollars without Portis performance. That is an area of need. Spend dollars on Jackson or Jones. Spend smaller dollars on Woods, Clayton, Evans, who all are burners, and get much more bang for your buck. If not, grab Winslow and no one double teams Boldin. I wouldn't spend those bucks on Larry or Mike. No way. Redundancy.

Go ahead and add up what Shipp and Emmitt are being paid.......you won't be near Portis dollars........

Whether you would or wouldn't spend those dollars on Fitz or Mike Williams is immaterial.......I'll bet Green doesn't share this line of thinking.

Finally, Section 11 has been promoting Jackson all spring. But there is no way he deserves to be picked at #3 overall. Jones will not be available at #33. Green likes Shipp.........I happen to think Green is approaching the offensive side of the team quite nicely.......you don't.........end of discussion.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
This is insane. Any team with half a brain will trade out of the top three.

Ditto!!!!!!!!

But what I heard, yesterday from an NFL source, was Half the teams in the first round above 20 want to trade down, and only 2 in the lower half want to trade up. Sagging market.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Stout said:
Unless Eli or Ben are there...muhahahahahahahaha!

Well Ben will probably be there but if someone trades up they won't be taking Ben. I honestly don't know who would help us the most. Fitz (great hands, seems to know where the ball is at times. Mike Williams (I wanted him the most before, big strong guy would have broken all of the USC records and I think would have been the most productive reciever of them all through his college carreer if he had stayed all four years.) Roy Williams (hey if we do need a burner there he is!) Winslow (some have him rated as the highest prospect, very unique skills) Manning (Can read the whole field, great vision) Big Ben (Really great arm) Wilfolk (Might be the missing piece of the puzzle for our #1 worst d-line)
Sean Taylor (may become the biggest difference maker at safety ever especially if he gets 9 interceptions like in college!) Stephen Jackson (Shipp hasn't shown he can make through a year, a solid running back would be nice)
Even Rivers intrigues me every game I've seen him in he looks great, he has a super high efficency rate, over %70 completion.

Stout you can't tell me which guy is going to end up being the best player. There would be a lot of disagreements on who would be the best player on this board and with "experts"

Last edited by a moderator:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
Well Ben will probably be there but if someone trades up they won't be taking Ben.

If Ben's there, I wouldn't mind trading with the Giants, with the understanding that they're not taking Ben. I have no problem with that, because the Giants WOULD NOT LIE about that. Why? Because they'd never have the credit with the other teams to do a deal like that ever again.

Now, if Ben is there, we should in no way, shape or form, IMO, trade with Cleveland...it'd be a real crapshoot to wait and hope he's available at 7, and it's a risk I'd rather not take.

Of course, I'm just hoping here that Green likes these guys and will take one of the two QBs. I don't know one way or the other. All I know is that no one knows what's going to happen, at this point, outside of the war room..and they may not have decided yet.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Vikesfan Menu.

Menu item #12.

Spending too much money on a position arguement. This is just silly, You need to spend money on QUALITY be it WRs or Defense or whatever. BAL invested almost all their money on defense and they won a SB. Maybe the problem in MIA is their coach sucks not how they invest money. This is a ludicrous arguement. Quality WR is exactly what this team needs. Worry about money being invested in players who sucked like Pace Bryant etc. You don't draft by how much money will be invested in a positions YOU DRAFT BY TAKING QUALITY PLAYERS at whatever position. This is so freaking basic.

Menu Item #9. Fitz has GET OPEN speed. Just like Suggs had get to the QB speed. Won't you people ever learn. Draft PRODUCERS!

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are just rude and argumentative. You show no respect for anyone's opinion with your lecturing attitude.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
You are just rude and argumentative. You show no respect for anyone's opinion with your lecturing attitude.

Yeah, and your mother dresses you funny. I got your back on this one wally. :thumbup:

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Yeah, and your mother dresses you funny. I got your back on this one wally. :thumbup:

That made me laugh. I was getting too serious. Thanks. :wave:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I don't agree with you, Wally. There are nine blue-chippers in the draft and you have to draft one of them regardless of need IMO. I really don't see a problem with drafting a receiver. I'm convinced that Fitz and Roy are #1 and #2 on the Cards' board, so if Fitz is gone why not trade down to #7 and take Roy?
Reasons why I don't buy the "too much money at one position" argument:

1. Johnson's contract is not that big. The maximum salary Johnson can earn is $2.4M with incentives. With Johnson sliding down to #3 he probably won't reach that number. If he does, then he's worth it considering he would be outperforming Boldin and Fitz/Roy.

2. Green uses three receiver sets an 80% of the plays and receivers are THE vital part of a Green offense. If it's so important in his system, why not use the money on having a top 3 receiving corp?

3.a The new TV agreement. The cap is expected to increase with 15M - 20M two years from now, meaning the amount tied up in the receivers wouldn't be considered high in two years.

3.b If Boldin is resigned now, it would mean a huge contract, but probably 20% less than what he would cost next year because of the huge cap increase.

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
This is insane. Any team with half a brain will trade out of the top three.

Section11, if the draft were held today, not a single trade down out of the first 3 spots would occur, IMO.

1. San Diego will sit tight and take a QB. Which one? Don't know.
2. Then Oakland will sit tight and take the other QB or Gallery.
3. The Cards will then have to select from a pool that simply contains every top player they like and may even have the bonus of a QB in it.

At that point the Cards scrap the board and take a QB or select their top player. No trade down.

The trading frenzy will begin soon after that.

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Section11, if the draft were held today, not a single trade down out of the first 3 spots would occur, IMO.

3. The Cards will then have to select from a pool that simply contains every top player they like and may even have the bonus of a QB in it.

At that point the Cards scrap the board and take a QB or select their top player. No trade down.

I disagree, the only one in the top 3 that isn't interested in trading down is Oakland and that's regardless of who's there. If there is a bluechip that is also a need for a team at a certain spot a team will be looking to move up. Gallery to the Giants or Browns fits this mold. Even though Gallery, Manning, and Fitz are blue chips we don't really need anyone of them more than the other aka we can trade out and still be ok.

spanky1

Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

skkorp,

You sure can be confusing.........on the one hand you gush praises about the changes you are seeing in McCown (implying that he indeed might be capable of becoming a quality starting QB)......and then you sneak in a snipet like this.....suggesting that Green has been putting up the world's best smokescreen and that he really just might take a QB at #3 (against everything that has been coming out of Green's mouth to suggest otherwise).

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spanky, Denny could be snowing us all. I doubt it, but you have to allow it. Neither DG nor RG has yet TOLD me what they plan to do, so I'm just speculating like everybody else.

In my OPINION, nobody in the top three positions will trade down. And the draft will fall almost exactly as I said. :cool:

And yes I know San Diego was trying to trade out but nothing has happened yet and time is running out. No team is going to trade up to get the first pick unless they can have the player under contract when the selection heads for the podium.

I figure the Chargers have about 3 or 4 more days to negotiate a trade before teams start backing off.

A draft day trade for #1? It's too late. And San Diego needs to start negotiating right now with their top choices to see which one they'll settle on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05