K9's Final First-Round Projection and Cardinals Mock Draft

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
  1. Carolina Panthers – Cam Newton, QB, Auburn. Marty Hurney needs to hit a home-run with this selection. The best players in the draft class are on defense, but that’s where the Panthers have the most talent already. Newton has weapons to support him and leadership qualities that could galvanize the franchise.
  2. Denver Broncos – Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama. Denver needs help on its interior defense, where they play in a division chock full of quality running backs. The offense has enough firepower to win games, but John Fox needs to build a defense that will allow his offense to take the field more frequently.
  3. Buffalo Bills – Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M. The Bills’ problems are on the defensive side of the ball. They’d like to take an interior lineman here, but there will be value at the position later in the draft. The Bills need to find a way to frustrate Mark Sanchez and Tom Brady if they’re going to return to relevance in the AFC East.
  4. Cincinnati Bengals – A.J. Green, WR, Georgia. The Bengals aren’t willing to invest in another quarterback when they’re on the hook for Carson Palmer, and a rookie QB couldn’t succeed with the present tools in the Bengals’ arsenal. A.J. Green will be an immediate contributor and playmaker who can open holes for Chad Johnson.
  5. Arizona Cardinals – Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU. Very, very quietly the Arizona Cardinals have cleared the deck at the CB position, with no legitimate players following Dominique Rogers-Cromartie and Greg Toler. Peterson will challenge for the punt return job behind shaky second-year player Andre Roberts and be an immediate contributor in nickel and dime packages in the secondary. Peterson is also insurance if DRC fails to embrace more zone concepts in the future.
  6. Cleveland Browns – Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn. Reports are the Fairley is falling down draft boards, but GM Mike Holmgren remembers have to prepare for John Randall and Warren Sapp and knows the challenges that a great three-technique DT can present. The draft class at this position is thin, and the Browns get an immediate contributor as they transition to a 4-3 defense.
  7. San Francisco 49ers – Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri. San Francisco has done a good job of picking up sliding prospects in the first round. The cupboard is shockingly bare at the QB position in the North Bay, and Gabbert possesses the qualities that new head coach John Harbaugh likes in a player. The offensive line in San Francisco may be able to keep a clean pocket around Gabbert and allow him to succeed.
  8. Tennessee Titans – Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina. Current DEs Jason Babin and Jacob Ford are not long-term solutions to the pass rush, but they will be starters while Quinn adjusts to the NFL after a year away from football.
  9. Dallas Cowboys – J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin. This isn’t a flashy pick, and the Cowboys may want to trade down to get some value at the offensive line. Watt is an excellent prospect at the five-technique DE spot and could pair with Igor Olshansky for the best 3-4 DE tandem in the NFL.
  10. Washington Redskins – Julio Jones, WR, Alabama. The Redskins get great value for this pick. Their WR corps is solid right now, but it is aging. Jones will be an excellent West Coast wideout for Mike Shanahan.
  11. Houston Texans – Prince Amukamra, CB, Nebraska. The Texans are terrible in the secondary. They get a player that will be good for them in Wade Phillips’s 3-4 defense.
  12. Minnesota Vikings – Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Minnesota can’t believe their luck that a player who was widely expected to be drafted in the Top 5 falls to them all the way at #12 overall. Bowers can learn behind Jared Allen or immediately contribute on the strong side. Bowers is not a speed rusher in the mold of Julius Peppers, but he is a good technician who can contribute quickly.
  13. Detroit Lions – Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado. The character concerns about Jimmy Smith are overstated, and frankly the Lions defense could use some attitude. Jimmy Smith is an elite athlete who can be a cover corner in the mold of Darelle Revis.
  14. St. Louis Rams – Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal. The Rams are in a position to trade down from this spot without great value at a position of need. Instead Steve Spagnolo goes back to his Philadelphia roots and drafts the best lineman on the board and will plug him in wherever he’s needed.
  15. Miami Dolphins – Tyron Smith, OT, Southern Cal. Smith will be able to stay at right tackle for the Dolphins, where Miami has a gaping hole currently occupied by Lydon Murtha.
  16. Jacksonville Jaguars – Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri. Smith presents good value here for a team that needs to protect its secondary with a productive pass rush in a division that features Peyton Manning and Matt Schaub.
  17. New England Patriots – Corey Luiget, DL, Illinois. Quietly, the Patriots have been transitioning to more and more 4-3 defensive looks. Luiget presents great positional versatility for Bill Belicheck.
  18. San Diego Chargers – Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College. Castonzo will help protect Philip Rivers as he ages and solves an offensive line problem across from Marcus McNeill.
  19. New York Giants – Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida. The Giants need to add fresh bodies to their aging offensive line. Pouncey is a better story than he is a talent in this draft, but he’ll be a solid contributor who will have time to learn from the veterans ahead of him.
  20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue. Kerrigan presents the best value to a Tampa-2 team, and ends up in a position where he can be the most successful.
  21. Kansas City Chiefs – Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin. Carimi can play the right or the left side for the Chiefs, and will open holes in the run game that made the Chiefs a playoff team in 2010.
  22. Indianapolis Colts – Nate Solder, OT, Colorado. The Colts have an offensive line problem, and they have to protect their franchise player in Peyton Manning. Solder will give them more opportunities to protect Manning and open holes in the run game.
  23. Philadelphia Eagles – Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa. The Eagles keep getting better by drafting good athletes for their offensive and defensive lines. If there is a run on offensive linemen, don’t be surprised to see the Eagles move up a little.
  24. New Orleans Saints – Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA. Ayers give Gregg Williams a nice versatile athlete to play the strong side of his defense.
  25. Seattle Seahawks – Aaron Williams, CB, Texas. At this point in the draft, and without a third-round pick, the Seattle Seahawks would probably like to trade down. Lacking that option, they take Williams, who will help out a secondary in need.
  26. Baltimore Ravens – Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi. The Ravens need help on the offensive line, and Sherrod will give them an able replacement at the RT position and allow them to move Marshall Yanda back to the inside where he was a dominant player.
  27. Atlanta Falcons – Justin Houston, DE, Georgia. The Falcons need to find a future replacement for John Abraham. It might seem like the Falcons are reaching here, but if Houston develops, it won’t matter two years from now.
  28. New England Patriots – Mark Ingram, RB, Arkansas. New England would love to trade out of this spot to the team that feels like Jake Locker will be the answer and pick up some 2012 picks. Ingram is a productive player who should be able to excel in the elements and have a quick transition to the pro game.
  29. Chicago Bears – Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor. The Bears have to do something about their offensive line to protect the investment they’ve made in Jay Cutler.
  30. New York Jets – Jabaal Sheard, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh. The Jets need to manufacture a pass rush somehow. Sheard is a prospect who will give them a chance to do that.
  31. Pittsburgh Steelers – Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple. Wilkerson can play DE in the Steelers 3-4 defense and gives them great depth at the position. Excellent value selection as two-gap DTs always fall in the draft.
  32. Green Bay Packers – Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State. The Packers have had terrible luck selecting two-gap defensive linemen before hitting a home run with B.J. Raji. Heyward will be able to keep the Packers’ excellent LB corps clean.
  33. New England Patriots – Jake Locker, QB, Washington. The likelihood that New England exercises this pick is extremely low. Teams will have some 16 hours to make inquiries about the availability of this selection. Whoever ends up at this spot will take Locker.
  34. Buffalo Bills – Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor. After addressing the pass rush at the top of Round 1, Buffalo comes back and addresses the run defense at the top of Round 2. Taylor will eat space in the middle of the line and become a poor man’s John Henderson.
  35. Cincinnati Bengals – Mikel LeShoure, RB, Illiniois. Cedric Benson was showing some wear on his tires last season. LeShoure will help continue the remaking of the Bengals’ offense.
  36. Denver Broncos – Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame. Rudolph is a risk/reward pick here, but both Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow are used to operating with playmaking tight ends..
  37. Cleveland Browns – Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland. There’s a lot of pent-up demand for wideouts at this point in the draft. Smith will provide depth to a relatively talentless WR corps.
  38. Arizona Cardinals - Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona. The Cards lose out when there’s a string of pass rushers taken toward the end of the first round, but Reed is a passionate player who will do whatever is asked of him.

69 – Kendrick Ellis, DT, Hampton. The Cards go to another small school in the third round. Ignorant fans will project Ellis as a backup NT, but he should be successful as a two-gap DE in wave packages for Darnell Dockett or Calais Campbell.

103 – Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State. Excellent value with this pick. The Cards get s better version of Steve Breaston here, and will give Stephen Williams some competition.

136 – Alex Green, RB, Hawaii. Green knows how to pass protect, run routes, and catch the ball from his experience in the spread offense at Hawaii.

171 – Nick Bellore, LB, Central Michigan. Should develop into the SILB that the Cards need to pair with Daryl Washington.

184 – Anthony Gray, NT, Southern Mississippi. 5’11”, 330 lbs. He’s the definition of the kind of fire hydrant nose tackle that is needed for the 3-4 defense.

249 – Jarriel King, OL, South Carolina. The kind of developmental OT prospect with massive size that the Cards like to develop.

Last edited:

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice job K9, I'd love to see the Cards get Peterson, but would be livid if they risked a top 5 pick to injury by having him return punts, especially after drafting Roberts and Breaston.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Nice job K9, I'd love to see the Cards get Peterson, but would be livid if they risked a top 5 pick to injury by having him return punts, especially after drafting Roberts and Breaston.

Part of the reason Peterson is thought so highly is because of his return ability. To not play him there because of injury risk would be a massive failure.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Punt returns don't carry the same injury risk as kickoff returns do. I wouldn't mind them putting Peterson out there to return punts when he's not holding down the outside corner of the defense (his rookie year) if he's able to beat Andre Roberts out for the job.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Part of the reason Peterson is thought so highly is because of his return ability. To not play him there because of injury risk would be a massive failure.
Although I don't disagree, I would hardly qualify it as a massive failure if he doesn't return punts, especially since they have drafted Roberts and Breaston in recent years. If he were to get injured returning a punt with Toler, DRC and Money Mike playing CB the rest of the year, that would be a massive failure.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Good work. Nice descriptions.

Think that going WR and RB ahead of an ILB is not going to happen. But I like the guys you picked.

I haven't seen anything of Kendrick Ellis. Did he play in any post season games? Can he bring pressure? How's his motor?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Nice job! The first five picks are spot-on, unless the Panthers throw a monkey-wrench into the works and pass on Newton.

The only way I see PP7 not falling to the Cardinals is if someone leap-frogs us and grabs him, unless of course, the Panthers pass on Cam Newton. If that happens, the Panthers grab Dareus, the Broncos get Miller, and the Bills are a wild card, but very possibly grabbing PP7. At that point the Cardinals are screwed. No one will want the pick, because the Bengals will still take Green. That might be THE one scenario where they consider Gabbert.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Nice job! The first five picks are spot-on, unless the Panthers throw a monkey-wrench into the works and pass on Newton.

The only way I see PP7 not falling to the Cardinals is if someone leap-frogs us and grabs him, unless of course, the Panthers pass on Cam Newton. If that happens, the Panthers grab Dareus, the Broncos get Miller, and the Bills are a wild card, but very possibly grabbing PP7. At that point the Cardinals are screwed. No one will want the pick, because the Bengals will still take Green. That might be THE one scenario where they consider Gabbert.

Why would they do this? They just re-signed Elvis Dumervil to a long-term contract and have a Top 10 pick playing the other DE position. They are no longer a 3-4 defense and have no need for a rush linebacker. If the Panthers pass on Newton it's possible that a team might trade up or the Broncos will take Fairley as a three-technique DT or take Peterson and use him in the same manner the Cards would. My personal opinion is that they'd trade down (maybe with the Cards).

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Peterson is # 2 on my list of hopefuls for the Cards. But it looks like we both see Newton being gone. I wouldn't trade back with Peterson on the board I'd be a happy camper.

AZCARDSFANATIC

Veteran
Reaction score
Two issues with this;
#1 No OL drafted until round 7, where are we going to get the help we need for whomever is under center. Our current O line is subpar is almost every area.
#2 No QB drafted, are we assuming we will get one in FA? You have SF taking gabbert despite the praise that Harbuagh has given Alex Smith. Do you think he will be an FA and come here?

I don't like your 3rd round pick of Ellis we have too many DLmen for only 3 positions. There I think we could address either of the needs above with Tackles, Watkins, Franklin or Carpenter or possible Dalton at QB, one of them will be availible.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Two issues with this;
#1 No OL drafted until round 7, where are we going to get the help we need for whomever is under center. Our current O line is subpar is almost every area.
#2 No QB drafted, are we assuming we will get one in FA? You have SF taking gabbert despite the praise that Harbuagh has given Alex Smith. Do you think he will be an FA and come here?

I don't like your 3rd round pick of Ellis we have too many DLmen for only 3 positions. There I think we could address either of the needs above with Tackles, Watkins, Franklin or Carpenter or possible Dalton at QB, one of them will be availible.

I think the Cards are planning on keeping Lutui and OL are easy to find in free agency every season. We have three OL returning if you include Hadnot and the coaching staff doesn't seem to believe that Levi Brown is a problem that many do. I didn't see value along the OL in my draft scenario enough to take one earlier.

We have Skelton, and if we don't take a QB in round one, I don't see the need to take another. You can't develop 2 QBs at the same time in the NFL; there isn't time. So without a veteran who can come in without a ton of practice, I'd rather stick with Skelton and get a free agent like Bulger.

Alan Branch may not be coming back. Calais Campbell is in a contract year. We are allowing Kenny Iwebema to test free agency. There aren't enough players for the DL right now; we need to get more players who can two-gap. I'm not sure that Darnell Dockett is going to be on this team in two years if Horton is a successful defensive coordinator and the coaching staff stays in place.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

What list of DL are you speaking? We have a grand total of 3 guys under contract, five if you want to count the 2 street free agents we signed to future contracts before the season ended, guys you have never heard of before or will ever hear from again.

3 hogs under contract means DL is without a shadow of a doubt a huge need. Especially when you consider the zone blitz scheme that Horton is reported to bring with him, of which uses a very heavy DL rotation to keep them fresh since they do more then your average DL does having to drop into flats some times.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
K9, your knowledge of all the teams in the NFL is very impressive. I like your draft for the Cards but would you consider trading down?

Ellis is a big boy sp do you think he could play NT in passing situations?

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
K9, your knowledge of all the teams in the NFL is very impressive. I like your draft for the Cards but would you consider trading down?

Ellis is a big boy sp do you think he could play NT in passing situations?

I think we'd run Dockett, Campbell, Reed, and Schofield out there on passing downs. That's what we did last year and Dockett was on the nose with Porter at end.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good mock draft. I still think Robert Quinn is in play especially if we trade down a few spots. Agree on Peterson being the choice if we stay at #5. Mike Lombardi thinks we may go with the TE from Notre Dame with our 2nd round selection. I too think Reed is the target, but Dontay Moch is getting alot of attention now as a potential high 2nd round pick. Moch was all world at the Combine, but most put him as all athlete and no football player. That opinion has started to change and he is moving up draft boards.

Overall, excellent job on the mock draft. I would be very happy with Peterson and Reed.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we'd run Dockett, Campbell, Reed, and Schofield out there on passing downs. That's what we did last year and Dockett was on the nose with Porter at end.

All that makes sense. Since we will at some point rotate players along the
D-line and Ellis would be in there in passing situations would he slide inside or stay at DE? A better way to ask this is what position will Ellis generate the best pass rush? Can he generate any pass rush at this point? Will he strictly be a 2 down DE?

What is your position on trading down from the #5 pick?

Thanks.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
If we pass on Gabbert and he goes to SF he better be a bust. If he is kicking our butts twice a year because we took a CB instead we'll regret it. QB>>>>>CB when it comes to winning in the NFL.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
  1. Carolina Panthers – Cam Newton, QB, Auburn. Marty Hurney needs to hit a home-run with this selection. The best players in the draft class are on defense, but that’s where the Panthers have the most talent already. Newton has weapons to support him and leadership qualities that could galvanize the franchise.
  2. Denver Broncos – Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama. Denver needs help on its interior defense, where they play in a division chock full of quality running backs. The offense has enough firepower to win games, but John Fox needs to build a defense that will allow his offense to take the field more frequently.
  3. Buffalo Bills – Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M. The Bills’ problems are on the defensive side of the ball. They’d like to take an interior lineman here, but there will be value at the position later in the draft. The Bills need to find a way to frustrate Mark Sanchez and Tom Brady if they’re going to return to relevance in the AFC East.
  4. Cincinnati Bengals – A.J. Green, WR, Georgia. The Bengals aren’t willing to invest in another quarterback when they’re on the hook for Carson Palmer, and a rookie QB couldn’t succeed with the present tools in the Bengals’ arsenal. A.J. Green will be an immediate contributor and playmaker who can open holes for Chad Johnson.
  5. Arizona Cardinals – Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU. Very, very quietly the Arizona Cardinals have cleared the deck at the CB position, with no legitimate players following Dominique Rogers-Cromartie and Greg Toler. Peterson will challenge for the punt return job behind shaky second-year player Andre Roberts and be an immediate contributor in nickel and dime packages in the secondary. Peterson is also insurance if DRC fails to embrace more zone concepts in the future.
  6. Cleveland Browns – Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn. Reports are the Fairley is falling down draft boards, but GM Mike Holmgren remembers have to prepare for John Randall and Warren Sapp and knows the challenges that a great three-technique DT can present. The draft class at this position is thin, and the Browns get an immediate contributor as they transition to a 4-3 defense.
  7. San Francisco 49ers – Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri. San Francisco has done a good job of picking up sliding prospects in the first round. The cupboard is shockingly bare at the QB position in the North Bay, and Gabbert possesses the qualities that new head coach John Harbaugh likes in a player. The offensive line in San Francisco may be able to keep a clean pocket around Gabbert and allow him to succeed.
  8. Tennessee Titans – Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina. Current DEs Jason Babin and Jacob Ford are not long-term solutions to the pass rush, but they will be starters while Quinn adjusts to the NFL after a year away from football.
  9. Dallas Cowboys – J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin. This isn’t a flashy pick, and the Cowboys may want to trade down to get some value at the offensive line. Watt is an excellent prospect at the five-technique DE spot and could pair with Igor Olshansky for the best 3-4 DE tandem in the NFL.
  10. Washington Redskins – Julio Jones, WR, Alabama. The Redskins get great value for this pick. Their WR corps is solid right now, but it is aging. Jones will be an excellent West Coast wideout for Mike Shanahan.
  11. Houston Texans – Prince Amukamra, CB, Nebraska. The Texans are terrible in the secondary. They get a player that will be good for them in Wade Phillips’s 3-4 defense.
  12. Minnesota Vikings – Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. Minnesota can’t believe their luck that a player who was widely expected to be drafted in the Top 5 falls to them all the way at #12 overall. Bowers can learn behind Jared Allen or immediately contribute on the strong side. Bowers is not a speed rusher in the mold of Julius Peppers, but he is a good technician who can contribute quickly.
  13. Detroit Lions – Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado. The character concerns about Jimmy Smith are overstated, and frankly the Lions defense could use some attitude. Jimmy Smith is an elite athlete who can be a cover corner in the mold of Darelle Revis.
  14. St. Louis Rams – Cameron Jordan, DE, Cal. The Rams are in a position to trade down from this spot without great value at a position of need. Instead Steve Spagnolo goes back to his Philadelphia roots and drafts the best lineman on the board and will plug him in wherever he’s needed.
  15. Miami Dolphins – Tyron Smith, OT, Southern Cal. Smith will be able to stay at right tackle for the Dolphins, where Miami has a gaping hole currently occupied by Lydon Murtha.
  16. Jacksonville Jaguars – Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri. Smith presents good value here for a team that needs to protect its secondary with a productive pass rush in a division that features Peyton Manning and Matt Schaub.
  17. New England Patriots – Corey Luiget, DL, Illinois. Quietly, the Patriots have been transitioning to more and more 4-3 defensive looks. Luiget presents great positional versatility for Bill Belicheck.
  18. San Diego Chargers – Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College. Castonzo will help protect Philip Rivers as he ages and solves an offensive line problem across from Marcus McNeill.
  19. New York Giants – Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida. The Giants need to add fresh bodies to their aging offensive line. Pouncey is a better story than he is a talent in this draft, but he’ll be a solid contributor who will have time to learn from the veterans ahead of him.
  20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue. Kerrigan presents the best value to a Tampa-2 team, and ends up in a position where he can be the most successful.
  21. Kansas City Chiefs – Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin. Carimi can play the right or the left side for the Chiefs, and will open holes in the run game that made the Chiefs a playoff team in 2010.
  22. Indianapolis Colts – Nate Solder, OT, Colorado. The Colts have an offensive line problem, and they have to protect their franchise player in Peyton Manning. Solder will give them more opportunities to protect Manning and open holes in the run game.
  23. Philadelphia Eagles – Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa. The Eagles keep getting better by drafting good athletes for their offensive and defensive lines. If there is a run on offensive linemen, don’t be surprised to see the Eagles move up a little.
  24. New Orleans Saints – Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA. Ayers give Gregg Williams a nice versatile athlete to play the strong side of his defense.
  25. Seattle Seahawks – Aaron Williams, CB, Texas. At this point in the draft, and without a third-round pick, the Seattle Seahawks would probably like to trade down. Lacking that option, they take Williams, who will help out a secondary in need.
  26. Baltimore Ravens – Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi. The Ravens need help on the offensive line, and Sherrod will give them an able replacement at the RT position and allow them to move Marshall Yanda back to the inside where he was a dominant player.
  27. Atlanta Falcons – Justin Houston, DE, Georgia. The Falcons need to find a future replacement for John Abraham. It might seem like the Falcons are reaching here, but if Houston develops, it won’t matter two years from now.
  28. New England Patriots – Mark Ingram, RB, Arkansas. New England would love to trade out of this spot to the team that feels like Jake Locker will be the answer and pick up some 2012 picks. Ingram is a productive player who should be able to excel in the elements and have a quick transition to the pro game.
  29. Chicago Bears – Danny Watkins, OG, Baylor. The Bears have to do something about their offensive line to protect the investment they’ve made in Jay Cutler.
  30. New York Jets – Jabaal Sheard, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh. The Jets need to manufacture a pass rush somehow. Sheard is a prospect who will give them a chance to do that.
  31. Pittsburgh Steelers – Muhammad Wilkerson, DT, Temple. Wilkerson can play DE in the Steelers 3-4 defense and gives them great depth at the position. Excellent value selection as two-gap DTs always fall in the draft.
  32. Green Bay Packers – Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State. The Packers have had terrible luck selecting two-gap defensive linemen before hitting a home run with B.J. Raji. Heyward will be able to keep the Packers’ excellent LB corps clean.
  33. New England Patriots – Jake Locker, QB, Washington. The likelihood that New England exercises this pick is extremely low. Teams will have some 16 hours to make inquiries about the availability of this selection. Whoever ends up at this spot will take Locker.
  34. Buffalo Bills – Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor. After addressing the pass rush at the top of Round 1, Buffalo comes back and addresses the run defense at the top of Round 2. Taylor will eat space in the middle of the line and become a poor man’s John Henderson.
  35. Cincinnati Bengals – Mikel LeShoure, RB, Illiniois. Cedric Benson was showing some wear on his tires last season. LeShoure will help continue the remaking of the Bengals’ offense.
  36. Denver Broncos – Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame. Rudolph is a risk/reward pick here, but both Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow are used to operating with playmaking tight ends..
  37. Cleveland Browns – Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland. There’s a lot of pent-up demand for wideouts at this point in the draft. Smith will provide depth to a relatively talentless WR corps.
  38. Arizona Cardinals - Brooks Reed, DE/OLB, Arizona. The Cards lose out when there’s a string of pass rushers taken toward the end of the first round, but Reed is a passionate player who will do whatever is asked of him.

69 – Kendrick Ellis, DT, Hampton. The Cards go to another small school in the third round. Ignorant fans will project Ellis as a backup NT, but he should be successful as a two-gap DE in wave packages for Darnell Dockett or Calais Campbell.

103 – Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State. Excellent value with this pick. The Cards get s better version of Steve Breaston here, and will give Stephen Williams some competition.

136 – Alex Green, RB, Hawaii. Green knows how to pass protect, run routes, and catch the ball from his experience in the spread offense at Hawaii.

171 – Nick Bellore, LB, Central Michigan. Should develop into the SILB that the Cards need to pair with Daryl Washington.

184 – Anthony Gray, NT, Southern Mississippi. 5’11”, 330 lbs. He’s the definition of the kind of fire hydrant nose tackle that is needed for the 3-4 defense.

249 – Jarriel King, OL, South Carolina. The kind of developmental OT prospect with massive size that the Cards like to develop.

Good effort, I know how hard these can be. A couple of disagreements though.

I can't see the Browns passing up Robert Quinn for Nick Fairley. Too much talent with Quinn who has produced more in college as a pass rusher than Fairley did in his 2 seasons.

Tennessee drafted Derrick Morgan, DE last year. I have trouble seeing them double up DE's in two straight years even though Quinn is a solid prospect.

I get that Detroit wants to upgrade at CB, but with every OT still available for a team that has lost it's number 1 overall QB to injury the past two seasons, I can't see them passing up an OT.

I question that your top 3 tackles are taken by teams to play at the RT position. I get that offensive line play is important, but I wonder if a team drafting in the top 20 might address more pressing needs.

You have the Eagles drafting a DE after they drafted Brandon Graham (3 sacks) last year, signed Darryl Tapp (3 sacks), and have Trent Cole who had 10 sacks and Jaqua Parker who had 6 sacks. Can't see them going DE this early with this depth.

Normal disagreements, good job.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
If we pass on Gabbert and he goes to SF he better be a bust. If he is kicking our butts twice a year because we took a CB instead we'll regret it. QB>>>>>CB when it comes to winning in the NFL.

Exactly, but I don't see him reaching us. Guys like him do not grow on trees. If SF gets him it will suck and we will not win this division again for a long time. Bulger....egad.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Cards get Peterson. I also wouldn't be upset if they offered their second and anoter pick to move up into the first-round and grab either Akeem Ayers or one of those tackles. That would be a good first day, IMO, and better value than trying to address needs in the later rounds.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Good effort, I know how hard these can be. A couple of disagreements though.

I can't see the Browns passing up Robert Quinn for Nick Fairley. Too much talent with Quinn who has produced more in college as a pass rusher than Fairley did in his 2 seasons.

Tennessee drafted Derrick Morgan, DE last year. I have trouble seeing them double up DE's in two straight years even though Quinn is a solid prospect.

I get that Detroit wants to upgrade at CB, but with every OT still available for a team that has lost it's number 1 overall QB to injury the past two seasons, I can't see them passing up an OT.

I question that your top 3 tackles are taken by teams to play at the RT position. I get that offensive line play is important, but I wonder if a team drafting in the top 20 might address more pressing needs.

You have the Eagles drafting a DE after they drafted Brandon Graham (3 sacks) last year, signed Darryl Tapp (3 sacks), and have Trent Cole who had 10 sacks and Jaqua Parker who had 6 sacks. Can't see them going DE this early with this depth.

Normal disagreements, good job.

Excellent notes. I'd forgotten about Harvey, although Quinn could be a value pick at that point and a bet hedge.

Shaun Hill seemed to stay upright; I think it's a Matt Stafford problem in Detroit and not an offensive line problem. Kid needs a glass of milk.

Fair enough on the Eagles. As I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see them move up to get an OT or maybe Akeem Ayers, who I think would be a good fit for them.

I think this OT class is interesting in that there are some guys that are well-regarded, but not elite players. Tyron Smith could move over to the left side very easily, but the Fins don't have a great OL right now. That's a value pick, and Miami could trade down. Carimi could get his start on the right side, but I'm not a believer in the OG conversion project the Chiefs are starting on the left side, and he could win that job.

Thanks for the notes. We really disagree on Jake Locker, but you're a quality poster on this board.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Good mock draft. I still think Robert Quinn is in play especially if we trade down a few spots. Agree on Peterson being the choice if we stay at #5. Mike Lombardi thinks we may go with the TE from Notre Dame with our 2nd round selection. I too think Reed is the target, but Dontay Moch is getting alot of attention now as a potential high 2nd round pick. Moch was all world at the Combine, but most put him as all athlete and no football player. That opinion has started to change and he is moving up draft boards.

Overall, excellent job on the mock draft. I would be very happy with Peterson and Reed.

I think that if you draft a QB at #5 you almost have to take Kyle Rudolph in the second round if he's available. We don't have a reliable mid-range target and that's a young quarterback's best friend. I think lacking a TE is one (of many) reason that all three QBs struggled last year.

Moch is an interesting player, but I think you can get a good player who can play the position at that second-round slot. Moch has some of the same problems that Von Miller has on the outside in a 3-4 defense.

All that makes sense. Since we will at some point rotate players along the
D-line and Ellis would be in there in passing situations would he slide inside or stay at DE? A better way to ask this is what position will Ellis generate the best pass rush? Can he generate any pass rush at this point? Will he strictly be a 2 down DE?

What is your position on trading down from the #5 pick?

Thanks.

I don't think that Ellis will play in many passing situations. In a two-gap 3-4 defense, you just don't get much push from your defensive linemen. When they do get pressure, it's usually a junk sack from the OLBs causing the quarterback to move up in the pocket.

Ellis would only play 35% of snaps maximum during games, and usually spelling players in second-and-six, third-and-four type situations. I think the ideal passing down alignment would be:

O'Brien --- Campbell -- Dockett -- Reed

Lenon --- Washington

DRC --- Wilson --- Rhodes --- Peterson --- Toler

I'd prefer to see Darnell Dockett see far fewer snaps next year and Calais Campbell see more, because I think that Campbell is more able to hold at the point of attack and clear lanes for LBs. The situation where we had basically mass substitutions every forth or fifth series last season didn't make sense to me.