Keeping an eye on Cardinals' Ryan Williams

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
[QrUOTE=JeffGollin;2488252]One dimension in a Cardinal RB I haven't seen for a long, long while is that proverbial "ability to make the first guy miss" after taking the handoff.

More than most teams, our RB's seem to get tackled, tripped up or slowed down in the backfield far too often.

If Ryan W can use his quicks to hit the hole unscathed most of the time, it should help improve our running attack significantly.

(But before we annoint him Walter Peyton II, he'll have to make everyone feel comfortable with regard to: 1). injuries, 2) ball protection, 3) blitz pickup and 4) pass receiving. If he can do that, then "That's a Bingo!"
[/QUOTE]

curt warner never looked right when he was handing off to a rb

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like RW - he was an explosive back in college. We have a very strong 1-2-3 punch combo at the running back position.

Question are the cardinals ever Going to throw a screen pass to there backs

They did in practice! I know, I know, I don't believe it either, but apparently Kolb hit Beanie on a screen perfectly ran and executed for a big gain. Take heart meds if you have them, because we might see this on an NFL field sometime soon.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kurt actually used to run a perfect slip screen from around the 10 yard line that seemed to work every time to get us a TD. But that wasn't your typical screen pass... those we NEVER seem to figure out how to run... or stop for that matter.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
jayfeely Jay Feely

Ryan Williams continues to impress me. Today me stoned a LB in a pass rush drill and he runs with explosiveness when he hits the hole
Great to hear the rookie has some pass blocking skills.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL THT clone? THT has 1/10th Ryan Williams run vision. Williams is much less a one cut and go runner like THT and much more of a slasher, who is good at avoiding tacklers.

Based purely on running style I'd say he's a Deangello Williams/Emmitt Smith clone. He may not run a 4.4 but he's at full speed at all times and his lateral movement is terrific.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kurt actually used to run a perfect slip screen from around the 10 yard line that seemed to work every time to get us a TD. But that wasn't your typical screen pass... those we NEVER seem to figure out how to run... or stop for that matter.

I kid you not.....we haven't stuffed a screen since the mid-sixties!!! Larry Wilson was so aggressive & blitzed so often that teams consistently killed us with screens & draws.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The screen is the worst thing the Cardinals do. Defending or running it!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
those we NEVER seem to figure out how to run... or stop for that matter.

Sersiously, I can't understand why the Cardinals never can figure out how to stop or run a screen pass. If you want a frist down, throw a screen pass against the Cards. It works every time.

:bang:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Sersiously, I can't understand why the Cardinals never can figure out how to stop or run a screen pass. If you want a frist down, throw a screen pass against the Cards. It works every time.

:bang:

Only on 3rd-and-15 situtations though...

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Shhhh.... Damnit, don't you know that my Fantasy Draft isn't for another three weeks? Let's keep all this under our hats, Anquan Boldin-style.

I need this to be my eighth-round breakout player.

Aside: The strategy of (if you draft after 8 or so) loading up on star WRs and then holding off and just drafting a slew of promising RBs in the later rounds is one of my favorite in fantasy football. You end up with trade bait if a guy doesn't work out, but you also get a bunch of value. WRs are the most consistent performers in fantasy; load up on them early and often.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shhhh.... Damnit, don't you know that my Fantasy Draft isn't for another three weeks? Let's keep all this under our hats, Anquan Boldin-style.

I need this to be my eighth-round breakout player.

Aside: The strategy of (if you draft after 8 or so) loading up on star WRs and then holding off and just drafting a slew of promising RBs in the later rounds is one of my favorite in fantasy football. You end up with trade bait if a guy doesn't work out, but you also get a bunch of value. WRs are the most consistent performers in fantasy; load up on them early and often.

Hey K9, I think Ryan Williams is as good a RB as Adrian Peterson of the Vikings. :p

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Is it a personal attack to call you a jinx in this particular instance?

Not after I played in back to back Cardinal Charity Golf Tournaments and the first year Nick Leakey my golf partner was released that Fall and the next year Scott Player who was on our team lost his job.

The NFLPA won't even let me buy any players jerseys.

:stick:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not after I played in back to back Cardinal Charity Golf Tournaments and the first year Nick Leakey my golf partner was released and the next year Scott Player who was on our team lost his job.

The NFLPA won't even let me buy any players jerseys.

:stick:

I think this is the point where I usually say I never liked either of them anyway.