Keith Van Horn

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
I would be willing to give him 1.5 mil for one year, maybe team option for the 2nd. He would fit in, but he would have to do it cheaply...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Please NO! KVH can't defend a chair. I don't think he could defend Penny Hardaway. No KVH! YES LAMPE!

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
If this Banks deal goes through, the Suns will have just enough of their MLE left to sign KVH. It's almost too perfect.

I'm telling you guys, you might as well start getting used to this. :|

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
If this Banks deal goes through, the Suns will have just enough of their MLE left to sign KVH. It's almost too perfect.

I'm telling you guys, you might as well start getting used to this. :|

Let's see. They have 5.5 million in the mle

1.2 goes to Pike
3.5 goes to Banks (21 million over 5 starting at 3.5 with 10% raises)

That leaves 800k for KVH? or am I missing something here? Did we not use any of our MLE on Pike?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Let's see. They have 5.5 million in the mle

1.2 goes to Pike
3.5 goes to Banks (21 million over 5 starting at 3.5 with 10% raises)

That leaves 800k for KVH? or am I missing something here? Did we not use any of our MLE on Pike?

I've been wondering the same thing. Does a minimum contract NOT count against the MLE? Is that why people are saying that we should still have 2 million left to pursue someone else? If so, than the Pike signing is potentially a good deal IMO. I was under the impression they had to use his money against the MLE, but if not, hell, the guy could be a Scott Hansen off the bench as a 10th man, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I've been wondering the same thing. Does a minimum contract NOT count against the MLE? Is that why people are saying that we should still have 2 million left to pursue someone else? If so, than the Pike signing is potentially a good deal IMO. I was under the impression they had to use his money against the MLE, but if not, hell, the guy could be a Scott Hansen off the bench as a 10th man, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Correct vet min deals don't count against the MLE. We have around $1.8 million to $2 million to sign a player if we wanted (as well as another vet min deal)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Vet minimums are not part of the MLE. That's why until Salmons and/or Banks, articles have consistently said we have our entire MLE remaining. Pike is strictly a minimum deal that we only paid half of anyway. I'm not overly thrilled with Pike, but I think he'll earn his contract with no problem.

nowagimp

Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
Please NO! KVH can't defend a chair. I don't think he could defend Penny Hardaway!

I'm putting my money on the KVH to be able to stay in front of the chair on the dribble penetration. He moves his feet so fast you wont realize he's moving ... he's deceptively quick.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
I'm putting my money on the KVH to be able to stay in front of the chair on the dribble penetration. He moves his feet so fast you wont realize he's moving ... he's deceptively quick.
Which chair are we talking about, though. If it's Jay Bilas's chair, you might want to re-think your bet...I've heard Bilas's chair has some wheels on it. :shock:

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wish this thread would go away....

Just Say NO! to Keith Van Horn! It's bad enough that the Suns already have a Burke and Piatkowski on the team. No more Lampe/Jacobson either please!

Yuck!

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_4873515,00.html

David Falk, Van Horn's agent, said Wednesday the free agent forward continues to be on a lengthy fishing trip in Alaska. During the second week in August, Falk plans to have "a summit meeting" with his client about his future.

...Falk said a "number of teams" have expressed interest in the 6-foot-10 Van Horn but wouldn't be specific.

...Van Horn must take a big pay cut after making $15.7 million with the Mavericks. The Nuggets, who have 12 players under contract for $61.6 million and don't want to pay the luxury tax after $65.4 million, don't appear willing now to pay Van Horn much more than $2 million.

So, if the Suns are interested in KVH, they'll be in the same situation they're currently in with Devean George, putting their $1.6 million against another team's $2 million and hoping their superior intangibles (or more accurately, non-fungibles) win out.

I guess if the team strikes out with Devean, KVH might be next on their list... :shrug:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I'd rather have Burke play than get Van Horn.

I know Burke isn't that good but I still don't understand all the hate he's getting.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nasser22 said:

I know Burke isn't that good but I still don't understand all the hate he's getting.

"The hate"? You yourself just said he isn't that good.

Joe

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nasser22 said:

If Van Horn was drafted in the 20's and made 4-5 million last year, everyone would be talking about what an important FA he is and how he is such an underrated player.

We might not have a place for him but

Van Horn>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Burke

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
"The hate"? You yourself just said he isn't that good.

Joe
Everyone has 12th men. No one has every single player playing and I like Burke on the bench. I never said anything bad about him.

And no I don't think Van Horn is really any better. If it was 5 years ago then definetly >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Burke I wouldn't want van Horn as anything more than an 11th man now. He can be a good cheerleader for us maybe.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely not a KVH fan. I shudder to think I'm even wrting this. That said, I think his game is tailor made for the Suns as I think he would get and make the outside shots TT made.

However, the Suns already have Marks and Burke which is overkill for this type player. But if I had the choice of only one of the three, I would take KVH.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
Everyone has 12th men. No one has every single player playing and I like Burke on the bench. I never said anything bad about him.

And no I don't think Van Horn is really any better. If it was 5 years ago then definetly >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Burke I wouldn't want van Horn as anything more than an 11th man now. He can be a good cheerleader for us maybe.

i hate posts like this.

Van Horn was pretty damn productive as a bench player at the beginning of last season. up until the start of february he was averaging over 10 points and over 3.5 boards per game. then i think the injury bug hit him, and his productivity went down. he was eventually just sidelined, much like KT was in the playoffs for us.

Van Horn is still 5x the player Burke is. Burke is completely worthless, and is much like a mascot more than anything. who the hell else would just play garbage minutes lobbing up three's just because the fans like it? he rarely plays the game of basketball when he's on the floor.

i will say that IF we were to get Van Horne, he'd be towards the end of the depth chart behind Barbosa/Banks/KT....but because of his size and our lack of front court depth, he'd probably go ahead of Jones.

he MOST CERTAINLY would play more than Burke.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
i hate posts like this.

Van Horn was pretty damn productive as a bench player at the beginning of last season. up until the start of february he was averaging over 10 points and over 3.5 boards per game. then i think the injury bug hit him, and his productivity went down. he was eventually just sidelined, much like KT was in the playoffs for us.

Van Horn is still 5x the player Burke is. Burke is completely worthless, and is much like a mascot more than anything. who the hell else would just play garbage minutes lobbing up three's just because the fans like it? he rarely plays the game of basketball when he's on the floor.

i will say that IF we were to get Van Horne, he'd be towards the end of the depth chart behind Barbosa/Banks/KT....but because of his size and our lack of front court depth, he'd probably go ahead of Jones.

he MOST CERTAINLY would play more than Burke.

KVH needs to apologize to know one. He has had a solid NBA career.

KVH most certainly is better than Burke. Even though I am not a KVH fan, the Suns would be lucky to get a player of his caliber. And I actually think he could contribute to the Suns team as a role player that could get some meaningful minutes, especially in case of injury.

I wouldn't mind seeing Burke packaged in a trade with a second round pick (if it could be done) and sending him somewhere, especially if the Suns could get KVH. I just don't see Burke as a contributor to this Suns team.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I'm definitely not a KVH fan. I shudder to think I'm even wrting this. That said, I think his game is tailor made for the Suns as I think he would get and make the outside shots TT made.

I'm with you, I don't like KVH but do think he'd fit here. TT is obviously a better fit but I think KVH could fit that role. Dallas was a horrible fit for Van Horn imo, they run so many iso plays and that just isn't his game. I'd much rather have him than Devan George.

nowagimp

Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
Van Horn is still 5x the player Burke is. Burke is completely worthless ...

so, Burke is completely worthless, or Burke == 0

Then, Van Horn = 5 times completely worthless = 5 x ( 0 ) = 0, damn, that means that even though he is 5 times the player, he is still a zero!!

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is all pretty dumb.

Maybe Burke is worthless. He certainly did not make the transition to the NBA smoothly, but then neither did Oberto who was a much bigger deal in Europe. I've suggested that the big problem is that no one learns NBA defensive rules in Europe, so virtuatlly every Euro big looks bad when the come here. Ironically, the reason why Boris seems to be the exception is that he didn't play center in Europe.

Will Burke figure out how to play NBA defense. For all the messing around he would do in garbage time, he can shoot and has some nice low post moves. However, he looked slow and inexperienced on defense where he made a lot of fouls. In any case, considering how easily the Suns unloaded Skita to clear the books, they could have easily done the same if they didn't think Burke warrented patience.

As for KVH, he never gives the impression of playing very hard. Apparently his coaches seem to think the same way about him.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Offensive, KVH should be a good fit. But we really need some beef in the front court. What about Cato for 2mil left from the MLE?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Player #1:
29 years old, 6-10, 15,800 minutes, 603 games, 11.9 ppg (best year 14.7 in 03-04), 4.0 rpg (best year 4.9), .4 bpg, .8 stpg, 44% fg, 37.1 3p%, 76.3 ft%, 1.4 apg.

Player #2:
30 years old, 6-10, 18,150 minutes, 575, 16.0 ppg (best year 21.8 in 98-99, but put up 16.1 in 03-04), 6.8 rpg (best year 8.5), .5 bpg, .8 stpg. 44.3% fg, 36.1% 3p, 83.5 ft%, 1.6 apg.

So, which player would you prefer, assuming both are healthy? Is it a toss-up?

Player 1=Tim Thomas
Player 2=Keith Van Horn

I am not making a case to sign KVH. I am pointing out that we tend to overvalue TT and undervalue KVH. They are virtually identical players in most categories, with KVH being the significantly better rebounder.

I think some actually undervalue KVH because he is white and kind of geeky looking.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05