Ken Rosenthal said Sexson and Finley will not be back in Arizona next year

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He said on the AZ Sports Report tonight he thinks Finley and Sexson will not be Diamondbacks next year. If true, I guess Shea will be back and Terrero will be the every day centerfielder next year. I have no problem with that as long as Al Pedrique does not return.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Hire a manager who can coach young talent and load up on free agent young pitching. Thats the winning equation for this team. Forget Fins and Sexson is to big of a risk. Let the youth movement begin and lets truly rebuild this team.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
Hire a manager who can coach young talent and load up on free agent young pitching. Thats the winning equation for this team. Forget Fins and Sexson is to big of a risk. Let the youth movement begin and lets truly rebuild this team.

I agree. Fins is missed, but he's not the future; for now Terrero is - but look for a Jackson-Zeringue-Quentin outfield by mid 2006. Sexson is definitely too risky for big bucks - he's not likely to be 100% recovered until very end of next season at the soonest. The other night Moorad said "The payroll isn't the problem. Bad decisions are the problem." (That being the case, WE NEED A NEW GM, too!!!) He pretty much implied AlP won't be back as manager. I might have to boycott if he is. He stinks.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Finley is as good as gone and his 7 million will go to upgrade the pitching. Not too big of a deal, considering how Arizona is literally crammed with OF prospects that can flat out play.

As for Sexson, I dont know. Depends on the kind of deal we can get him for.

khilari

Rookie
Reaction score
As for Sexson, I dont know. Depends on the kind of deal we can get him for.[/QUOTE]

We can't deal Sexson because he is a free agent. The only thing we will get for him is couple of draft picks in the first round.

I think we should try to sign couple of young pitchers and try to trade Randy in the off season to dump his salary. What do you guys think???

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
khilari said:
We can't deal Sexson because he is a free agent. The only thing we will get for him is couple of draft picks in the first round.

I think we should try to sign couple of young pitchers and try to trade Randy in the off season to dump his salary. What do you guys think???

No, I meant what kind of deal we can sign him to (contract structure, cost, how many years, etc). Sorry for the confusion.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
AZZenny said:

I agree. Fins is missed, but he's not the future; for now Terrero is - but look for a Jackson-Zeringue-Quentin outfield by mid 2006. Sexson is definitely too risky for big bucks - he's not likely to be 100% recovered until very end of next season at the soonest. The other night Moorad said "The payroll isn't the problem. Bad decisions are the problem." (That being the case, WE NEED A NEW GM, too!!!) He pretty much implied AlP won't be back as manager. I might have to boycott if he is. He stinks.[/QUOTE

If he said that then you know thw whole front office is going to be purged including the GM and manager.

az240z

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
At least management has given up the absurd notion that this team could compete next year. Now it's time to rebuild as this teams still has some holes, notably at SS, the back of the rotation, and most importantly, the coaching staff. Sexson wanted no part of a rebuilding situation in Milwaukee, so I doubt he'd want to be here, even if we made him a decent offer.

"Hire a manager who can coach young talent and load up on free agent young pitching."

Easier said than done unless we can catch lightning in a bottle in the Rule V Draft or with a low-budget steal like Jose Lima. None of the free agent pitchers who are young are good, and the ones that are good and over-30 sure as hell don't want to come here and be backed up by no run support and poor defense. Another option would be loading up on young pitching by trading Randy Johnson, who I'm sure wants out of town ASAP after the last few months.

Or the best option, hire a legitimate pitching coach who knows how to teach both young and old pitchers how to pitch. It must be nice for the Angels and Braves to be able to bring it washouts every year and coach them to success. It amazes me watching Bud Black and Leo Mazzone turn burnouts like Brendan Donnelly, Ben Weber, Jaret Wright, and Antonio Alfonseca into qualitry pitchers. And I bet you these coaches are making less money than what we paid Shane Reynolds this year.

Last edited: