Kevin Willis to audition for Mavericks

sandeepgm

Reaction score
It's just that this is a Suns board, where ideally people have a genuine interest and knowledge about the Suns and enjoy discussing Phoenix Suns basketball. Not knowing who Dan Majerle is, is like someone going on a Mavericks board and asking who the hell Rolando Blackman is. It gives you away as an outsider and obviously not a Suns fan or even knowledgeable of simplest Suns history and raises suspicions about what the real purpose of posting here is, otherwise.

Not trying to start anything, merely making an observation. You will ultimately prove who you are by your activity here. Just found it odd, that's all.

Just so that you dont have to be suspicious of my intentions. Here it is. I am not a suns fan nor do i have a huge interest in the suns. I am a mavs fan and my main interest in suns is how they do in relation to the mavs or against the mavs. I like to know other fans opinions on matchups against the mavs and like to watch the daily seedings race etc etc.

I post in the spurs board as well and even though i stayed in san antonio for a while i am not a fan of them too but i do like tim duncan. They dont even ask me to pretend as a spurs fan there..lol. The mavs board also is not as welcoming as the spurs board is to other fans.

I try to bring my opinions(and back up mavs when i can) and i have given props to the suns when they win. It is possible that i see everything through mavs colored glasses but the same could be said of every fan.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kevin Willis got signed to a 10 day contract pending a physical. He may help rebound and foul other center - u never know.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Just so that you dont have to be suspicious of my intentions. Here it is. I am not a suns fan nor do i have a huge interest in the suns. I am a mavs fan and my main interest in suns is how they do in relation to the mavs or against the mavs. I like to know other fans opinions on matchups against the mavs and like to watch the daily seedings race etc etc.

I post in the spurs board as well and even though i stayed in san antonio for a while i am not a fan of them too but i do like tim duncan. They dont even ask me to pretend as a spurs fan there..lol. The mavs board also is not as welcoming as the spurs board is to other fans.

I try to bring my opinions(and back up mavs when i can) and i have given props to the suns when they win. It is possible that i see everything through mavs colored glasses but the same could be said of every fan.
i've tried to blog with spurs fans before. they were impossible to deal with. much worse than this board. of corse it was in the playoffs and offseason though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to really like Kevin Willis as a player. For some reason I think if any older player has gas left in the tank it is Willis... sort of like Mutombo. I don't think anyone knows how old Mutombo is for sure.... he will probably be playing until he's 65. :)

Willis used to be a fearsome rebounder and defender inside. I always wished the Suns had tried to acquire him in his earlier years. I think it it a good gamble for the Mavs with minimal downside.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Willis was always well known for keeping himself in great physical shape so its likely that he's still quite fit. Who knows, he may still be able to hit his five foot jump hook...

Lorenzo

Reaction score
willis says he talked to cuban in vegas and has been running since then waiting for a call.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
they got him to lessen amare's affectiveness vs the mavs. if Diop and Dampier are in trouble Cuban doesnt want to see Dirk having to play defense vs Amare.

this may work Amare is a Hot head. Willis may outsmart him and get him into foul trouble again.

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
What you talkin 'bout Willis ?

Willis > Burke
Willis > Marks

Just another example of how a team that wants to win it all will make a late season addition to improve their chances. They identified a need and filled it.

Phnx, on the other hand, needs defense and rebounding....and D'Ants solution is to run more.

sandeepgm

Reaction score
Dude dont be so quick to think that willis is better than burke and marks. He is in good physical shape and avery added him for the right reasons veteran leadership, defense and fouls that will come in handy facing yao and shaq. Whether he will bring all that to the table when he actually plays is still to be seen.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just another example of how a team that wants to win it all will make a late season addition to improve their chances. They identified a need and filled it.

You're overlooking the obvious point that Willis had to want the arrangement too. Right now, to the non-biased observer, Dallas is the clear championship favorite. Willis doesn't care about the couple hundred thousand dollars he'll make. Why would he come to Phoenix?

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
Dude dont be so quick to think that willis is better than burke and marks. ........

You gotta be kidding me right ? Burke and Marks have got to be the biggest waste of pine space since Baynard Forrest.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Marks is useless but burke can contribute. he can step out and rebound. not the best player off the bench but he can do the dirty work.

His outside shot will prevent the defense from collapsing on nash on pick and rolls.

His ability to make threes allows centers to move away from the paint.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they got him to lessen amare's affectiveness vs the mavs. if Diop and Dampier are in trouble Cuban doesnt want to see Dirk having to play defense vs Amare.

this may work Amare is a Hot head. Willis may outsmart him and get him into foul trouble again.

If they got him to impact Amare then I feel bad for the Mavs. He is too slow, too old and can't jump enough to impact Amare. The only thing KW will do is give Amare more attempts at the FT line.

ndjmc

Do or Do not.
Reaction score
pathetic

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Kevin Willis, I know he is in good shape but WHY?

6 fouls?

you could put a garbage can out there. what a joke.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Am I missing something, or hasn't the deadline for qualifying for the playoff roster long since passed?

Willis might replace Dampier for a few games as the Mavs go for 70 wins, but that does not seem like much to worry about.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What you talkin 'bout Willis ?

Willis > Burke
Willis > Marks

Phnx, on the other hand, needs defense and rebounding....and D'Ants solution is to run more.

lol.....leave it to Mavs fans to start an "our 12th man is better than your 12th man" pissing contest. If Kevin Willis is in the game then the Mavs are in trouble because it means that Dampier & Diop are either in foul trouble or injured (same thing if Sean Marks is in the game, although he's not even on our active roster 98% of the time). Burke can actually play a little when he stays in the paint and concentrates on defense & rebounding.

As far as Willis > Burke, there's no way of knowing because Willis hasn't been playing in the NBA (and Pat Burke rarely has). I'm going to give the edge to Burke because he's been practicing with the Suns all season and because Willis is 44 yrs old.

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Am I missing something, or hasn't the deadline for qualifying for the playoff roster long since passed?

Willis might replace Dampier for a few games as the Mavs go for 70 wins, but that does not seem like much to worry about.

I can't claim to know all the intricacies of the rules but I think that a player who is a FA before a certain date (probably the trade deadline) is eligible for the playoff roster as long as he signs before the teams have to submit those rosters. There have been some cases like this in recent years. I think there was one case a few years back where a player was traded at the deadline and got his new team to release him outright immediately so he could choose who he'd sign with for the playoffs.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I can't claim to know all the intricacies of the rules but I think that a player who is a FA before a certain date (probably the trade deadline) is eligible for the playoff roster as long as he signs before the teams have to submit those rosters.

I don't know the intricacies either, but it's something like that. I know that players who have been free agents all season long can join a team right up until the end and be eligible for the playoffs. There was a case a couple of years ago, I think, of someone coming out of retirement just for a playoff run. And come to think of it, didn't Kevin Johnson join the Suns very late in the year during his brief comeback?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
willis must be the savior. i think this thread is much longer than it ever should of been.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05