Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Didn’t care about any of the characters except the wannabe Maurice and the new “Caesar”, who was a solid bad guy that I wanted more of. Outside of the lack of characters I cared about, most of the movie looked like CGI Apes in CGI landscapes. REALLY disappointing considering how great the apes looked in real world sets/settings.

Overall, was a massively far cry from the Caesar Trilogy and a big ball of meh. At best. That said, it’s getting pretty good reviews and a lot of the pods/reviewers I listened to and normally agree with thought it was solid, so it’s probably still worth a watch for those who want to see it.
Pretty much disagree with a lot of this. My biggest issue is in not identifying with the apes, and the only main humans weren't developed well.

That said, really good cgi is defined by 3 main things: water, hair, and eyes. Having all 3 is the CGI slam dunk. This one had ok versions of 2 of the 3, but the eyes sold this one big time for me. Pretty amazing work by the animators.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much disagree with a lot of this. My biggest issue is in not identifying with the apes, and the only main humans weren't developed well.

Did you mean agree with a lot of what I said because my biggest issue was not caring about the apes also.

And I agree that Noa really had zero development.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Did you mean agree with a lot of what I said because my biggest issue was not caring about the apes also.

And I agree that Noa really had zero development.
You said the movie was meh, that's what I disagree with. I thought it was good enough, maybe not quite as solid as the previous movies, but still not horrible. Regardless of your feelings about this particular movie, it didn't change my mind about this modern Planet of the Apes series being as solid as they come.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched it last night on You Tube for free, today the feed has been pulled so I'm glad we watched it. 19.99 streaming last now and the feed we had was exceptional, 1080P and looked great.

The story was a bit confusing to me seems like using weapons to defend themselves from the apes would have been smarter than hoarding them?

Also given the damage to those antennas they showed the ending was a bit far fetched.

But we both liked it, in fact we liked it enough we were going to watch it again today but then discovered it was pulled from You Tube.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried watching this again on Hulu and was so bored and, again, immediately taken aback by how bad the special effects were, especially in comparison to War, which came out 7 years earlier.

So, I put on War to see if it was just faulty memory, but watching it I am astonished at much better the FX are in the previous movie. It feels so much more photorealistic.

And don’t even get me started on the story/characters which both had depth Kingdom could only dream of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat