Kiper's Latest for AZ

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Arizona Cardinals

Record: 5-11
* Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

The Cardinals were a mess at quarterback in 2010, and while Max Hall and John Skelton showed glimpses, both are projects, and there's no real solution in place for next season outside of a trade. Gabbert will be under the microscope during the testing process perhaps more than any other player, but at this stage he's the most NFL-ready QB in the draft. Arizona is in a tough spot: If the Cardinals pass on Gabbert, there won't be a QB who can do more for them sooner than Skelton or Hall later in the draft. Gabbert offers a strong arm, protoype size, reads the game well and has a lot of upside.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
Hate it, but understand the logic.I'd rather bring in a stop gap at QB and go Defense, Defense and more Defense in the draft.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I hate that I don't know more about him. I could live with him at 5 but I'm starting to like Ponder in round 2 as a better option.

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe this is a dumb question, but would Wis even be allowed to draft another quarterback? If so, would he really be willing to take that chance? Isn't there a chance he doesn't make it to Gabbert's second pro season if the team wins 5 or 6 games again next season?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is a dumb question, but would Wis even be allowed to draft another quarterback? If so, would he really be willing to take that chance? Isn't there a chance he doesn't make it to Gabbert's second pro season if the team wins 5 or 6 games again next season?

My feeling is that we won't draft a QB in this draft. Instead, we'll go for a vet free agent and hope that Skelton will develop as the QBOF. The best use of the #5 pick to help the team WIN next year is to use it on defense.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score

Whiz didn't draft Leinart.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Kiper says Hall showed glimpses I'm not sure I trust his analysis on the Cards QB situation at all

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

his only drafted QB has been Skelton. He inherited Leinart.

He just signed a fairly rich 4 year extension -- and I just dont see the Bidwill's firing a coach who they owe $10mm to; especially one that got them to the Superbowl.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Kiper also had a major hard on for Jimmy Clausen, so I'm not one to take anything the guy says seriously. Dude is a tool.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whiz didn't draft Leinart.

No, but he traded two picks and a player to draft Skelton. An unusually high investment for a day two draft pick. I agree with NFLguy, I think Whis will not go for a QB at #5.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Kiper says Hall showed glimpses I'm not sure I trust his analysis on the Cards QB situation at all

The only glimpse he showed was to look for I-10 and head out of town....this is NOT even a slight resemblance to an NFL qb.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't be suprised if we draft Newton or Gabbert at #5.
You heard it here first. :)

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
Don't be suprised if we draft Newton or Gabbert at #5.
You heard it here first. :)

Fortune favors the brave.

You can still draft playable D players the rest of the way.

You can still get decent D players in free agency.

You can't get a QB like Gabbart or Newton thru free agency.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I'm liking this scenario:

Sign Vet FA QB (Please God let there be FA!)
Draft that Kapernick (sp?)
Keep Skelton

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I predict that we either draft one of about 7 different players or we trade up.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
My feeling is that we won't draft a QB in this draft. Instead, we'll go for a vet free agent and hope that Skelton will develop as the QBOF. The best use of the #5 pick to help the team WIN next year is to use it on defense.
I agree. We need to spend #5 on defense, pass rusher more specifically.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Arizona Cardinals

Record: 5-11
* Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

The Cardinals were a mess at quarterback in 2010, and while Max Hall and John Skelton showed glimpses, both are projects, and there's no real solution in place for next season outside of a trade. Gabbert will be under the microscope during the testing process perhaps more than any other player, but at this stage he's the most NFL-ready QB in the draft. Arizona is in a tough spot: If the Cardinals pass on Gabbert, there won't be a QB who can do more for them sooner than Skelton or Hall later in the draft. Gabbert offers a strong arm, protoype size, reads the game well and has a lot of upside.

Good idea. Then we'd have three guys at QB who are projects. We could run the HUD offense.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I truly hope and believe the OL and D should be addressed solely in the draft, and trade a future pick for either Orton or Kolb, sign Bulger and develop Skelton.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05