Knicks & Suns Trade Q for KT

cly2tw

Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
The only thing I will really say, if the teams Draft a G/F or PG and move Barbosa to SG - there will be plenty of minutes for skillball.
Kurt Thomas can fill the role Stat does alongside Marion at the F/C spots, while Stat is resting or in foul trouble... I haven't yet checked DREB but I'm sure it's pretty decent.

Except that the very purpose of trading for Kurt is to limit the amount of time we MUST play skill ball to win. :D
In fact, the Spurs played skill ball almost half of the game in game 7 and most of the 4th q with TD/Horry/Bowen/Manu/Parker(or Barry). If we sign Marshall to teh MLE, Amare/Marshall/Marion/Joe/Nash certainly can match up quite well with them. Our only problem is still we can't defend Manu or Parker! :(

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has already been brought up but 15 pages is a bit much to read without skimming...
I remember liking the sound of KTs attitude from a Slam magazine article a year or two back and remember feeling like it was a shame he was played out of position by the Knicks (oh to be young and foolish). Anyhow it sounds like he could be inserted in the starting lineup and put Marion back at SF. I'd be excited for that reason alone. Add a midrange jumper, rebounding, and defensive skills to that and I think you've got a great augmentation to the team. Anyone know if McCarty and Outlaw will likely be back?
I second the call for Petro.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Except that the very purpose of trading for Kurt is to limit the amount of time we MUST play skill ball to win. :D
In fact, the Spurs played skill ball almost half of the game in game 7 and most of the 4th q with TD/Horry/Bowen/Manu/Parker(or Barry). If we sign Marshall to teh MLE, Amare/Marshall/Marion/Joe/Nash certainly can match up quite well with them. Our only problem is still we can't defend Manu or Parker! :(

Obviously it's too limit skillball but skillball was played for 45 minutes last year and what I'm saying it's probably going to be available 20-25 minutes still next year or enough to give us a good enough Regular Season record... there's nothing wrong with skillball. The Suns were the 2nd to 3rd best team in League and JJack could easily replace Q, the problem was ALL the Suns had was skillball and now the Suns have a big that can pick and pop - put up 8-9 REBS, be enforcer, hand out 2 assists, and defensive rebound (being the key attribute).

The team now has Traditional line-ups to throw at teams, along with being the top skillball team still, now that Kurt Thomas can play the Center spot while being a great perimeter shooter, there's another threat...

Plus with getting the BIG the team needed, the team can put PG's back into consideration at least IMO, it was of my opinion the team should've added players like Garcia, Hodge, Gomes, etc. over a True PG... Nate Robinson is being mentioned now and that boy is an athlete and is a better shooter than given credit for.

HooverDam

Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Our only problem is still we can't defend Manu or Parker! :(

I think the idea is that w/ a big like KT, if Manu or Parker get past Nash (which they will, since he cant guard me), KT will be in the lane to put them on their ass. Of course they could always dish to TD or Nazr if KT comes over to help. However, Amare was always afraid to help on them, cause he didnt want to get too many fouls. Hunter could block shots here and there, but didnt want to leave Duncan.

I would be all about a strategy in which KT gaurds Nazr and is used to double others. Let Nazr beat us all day long, I dont think he can.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Thing is KT is a career 48% shooting from the field. Q shoots under 40%. Bare in mind we had the best FG% in the NBA or close to It now we add a guy who shoots a great % gives us a higher chance of shooting the ball better. We can get a shooter or so to replace Q through free-agency. KT is going to be bring mid range points, rebounds, defense and another guy who knows how to run the pick and roll.

sunsfn

Reaction score
If anyone is worried about the suns playing small ball or skill ball, do not worry!

Someone made a post that the best running team was the lakers with Magic and Kareem. Kareem never ran the court and they still had the best fast break or skill ball team in the league.

The suns will continue to run and will score as many points as before but give up less. They will also get more rebounds to help start that running game.

I really think that the points we miss from Q, will even out over the year with the solid points we will get every game from Thomas. Remember, Q had an occasional game of 3-11 etc. where he did not score many points..... :D

I have said before that Q really grew on me as the season went along, but he was not a good fit for this team in the long run.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
curious thought

The New York Times describes Thomas as "an avid web surfer," saying that he first learned about the trade on RealGM. It seems to me that he probably spent a decent part of the day trying to learn more about his potential new home. It's entirely possible that he has stumbled onto this site and read this thread.

So, welcome, Mr. Thomas!

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
elindholm said:
So, welcome, Mr. Thomas!

Oh, I'm sure he didn't read this far down. There's a difference between 'avid' and 'obsessive'. :lol:

It's probably a good idea to build your KT alias ASAP, though. That way you'll be sure to have the advantage of seniority, right?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
elindholm said:
It's probably a good idea to build your KT alias ASAP, though.

Kurt_40?

Actually, his website is "KT40".com, so you might want to go with that. :D

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yeah, it was a reference to Schilling, but I couldn't remember whether he used an underscore here or not. I think he didn't.

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
We better make the playoffs every year for the next 20 years! :)

I absolutely have no problem with that (especially if we win a couple of championship throughout that time :D)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
elindholm said:
According to Real GM the deal is done.

RealGM? What the heck do they know?

I clicked on the read more, and the RealGM article appears that it is linked to the NYPost. It looks like a NYPost article, not a RealGM made up one. ;)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
I clicked on the read more, and the RealGM article appears that it is linked to the NYPost. It looks like a NYPost article, not a RealGM made up one. ;)

I have read this as well, but I cannot understand the reasons this trade has not yet been confirned by a number of legitimate sources. Certainly I know the reasons the media have given.

However, if Phoenix has to give a #1 pick to NY to make this trade, why didn't the Suns demand a second round pick or two in return?

I have to say I wouldn't be sad if this trade didn't happen. Yes, I know I'm in the minority.

TopGamer

Veteran
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I have read this as well, but I cannot understand the reasons this trade has not yet been confirned by a number of legitimate sources. Certainly I know the reasons the media have given.

However, if Phoenix has to give a #1 pick to NY to make this trade, why didn't the Suns demand a second round pick or two in return?

I have to say I wouldn't be sad if this trade didn't happen. Yes, I know I'm in the minority.

I'm also with you in the minority. If it doesn't happen I'm fine. At least I know we can only get better by keeping our starting 5.

I've also been wondering about the trade and how their have been few confirmed reports on it. Yahoo! sports section doesn't even have it mentioned, neither does Suns.com or Espn.com. I'm thinking realgm.com leaked a discussion between the organizations that was supposed to be a secret and for now that's all I consider it to be. A discussion. Had they not gotten the info and Q isn't traded it would have simply been a discussion that never materialized. I remember when the Suns were trying to get Q the website posted all the information leading up to his official signing. I guess this situation is different though lol

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
TopGamer said:
I'm also with you in the minority. If it doesn't happen I'm fine. At least I know we can only get better by keeping our starting 5.

I'm not sure I understand your last statement here. I think substituting Kurt Thomas for Q makes the starting 5 significantly better defensively and on the boards while sacrificing next to nothing offensively. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here.

Joe Mama

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
It is on ESPN.com

Article

Also on Fox Sports

Article

They also had quotes from both Q and Thomas. Both talked as if the deal was done.

Suns.com never puts anything up until it is official. I have never seen a trade rumor on there.

Last edited:

TopGamer

Veteran
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
It is on ESPN.com

Article

Also on Fox Sports

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3713774

They also had quotes from both Q and Thomas. Both talked as if the deal was done.

Suns.com never puts anything up until it is official. I have never seen a trade rumor on there.

When they signed Q it wasn't official that he was a member of the team yet either. But they had interviews with D'Antoni and the organization discussing it before it was even final. All of the information that is reported is that their are discussions about the trade. If it was final, of course, Q would be on his way to his press conference lol. There still appear to be things to be worked out and it still isn't a sure thing. LIke I said before, I think it was leaked way before either organization wanted it to be.

TopGamer

Veteran
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I'm not sure I understand your last statement here. I think substituting Kurt Thomas for Q makes the starting 5 significantly better defensively and on the boards while sacrificing next to nothing offensively. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here.

Joe Mama

I agree with you. What I meant was that even if the trade doesn't go through and we keep Q I believe the team will improve instead of deteriorating. That's why I stated that I will not be dissapointed either way because last year was great for us after being a unit for one year and having little bench help and practially zero bench for the first half of the year. I think the guys can only get better. Of course changes need to be made to go all the way but even with Q remaining on the team we are still as competitive as last year, if not better after improving over the summer.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
TopGamer said:
When they signed Q it wasn't official that he was a member of the team yet either. But they had interviews with D'Antoni and the organization discussing it before it was even final. All of the information that is reported is that their are discussions about the trade. If it was final, of course, Q would be on his way to his press conference lol. There still appear to be things to be worked out and it still isn't a sure thing. LIke I said before, I think it was leaked way before either organization wanted it to be.

They had discussions with it after the Suns signed him to an offer sheet. That is very very different from a trade rumor.

Q's press conference wasn't until 14 days after he signed the offer sheet, but the paperwork was filed with the league already.

You are talking about 2 completely different things.