Kolb is a bit panicky.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's difficult to tell if it's a good thing or a bad thing. (his 'panicky' tendency...for now)

You know at least a 'bell' is going off in his head...so in a sense it's partially good

We've seen even in those situations, he's made good decisions going forward. That may not always be the case going forward, but he has shown he can make good decisions under pressure.

As said on another thread by the poster with the pictures, it wasn't good execution...throwing off back of the foot, not stepping up sometimes, etc.

But I see it as at least we have a QB who isn't an idiot. That's a start. He has the head to play the QB position. He has the arm to play the QB position.

Overall it's a good sign this early into his cards career with everything new around him.

I didn't see DA or MH do this. Saw some glimpses with Skelton, but he's still too raw.

It's still early, some stuff he may not get better at, some stuff he will. Then it's up to our coaches to work on the stuff he hasn't gotten better at. I see everything wrong with him as teachable. Given he doesn't have some sort of mental block preventing it. But it's still real early to pigeonhole him given he's doing most of the basics correctly and in some cases impressively.

I'm impressed with when he has to make a decision he makes it. When he switches to an alternate receiver, he can do it in a split second and get it out. His deep ball is pretty nice. There's a few overthrows, a few catches, and a couple of close ones. I can't ask for anything more out of a QB in this respect, especially such a new one. His accuracy on the short or medium stuff makes me think DA played drunk.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I like what I see so far. Especially for having so little time in this offense and two shiddy OT's..

When he actually knows this offense like the back of his hand he is gonna be even better.. Best stat so far this pre-season even with the "skiddish" that you talk about? ZERO turnovers!

:iwa: Kolb is still young too. He hasn't started all that many games I think he looked pretty fantastic last night given the circumstances. I remember thinking as he came out he might be praying; "God please dont let me throw any picks and make all these people turn on me in the first preseason game."

I would much rather Kolb has happy feet at first than to stand cemented in the pocket to get destroyed by defenders and throw picks. He's going to get more comfortable in the pocket, he's going to find his comfort zone. Jeez Cardinal players aren't even allowed PRESEASON games to get comfortable anymore before the fans start railing on their "flaws."

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
I think Kolb's will okay once he learns the Cardinal play calls and they train the Eagle out of him. Learning all new play calls and schemes with all the nuances within a month or two, can't be easy. Personally, I still struggle with some of the terms a few of you posters use to communicate with one another.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You'd be edgy too if you had a hologram playing left tackle.

Now that made me laugh.

To me Kolb do well, but its still hard to tell as they aren't playing the full game. I would like to see the 2:00 drill, the come back drives and so on. Thats what I would like to see and we will come regular season. I just can't wait till the first game!!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
HE IS A LITTLE skiddish whe the pressure comes and Imo is either too quick to run out of the pocket or make poor quick throws off his back foot.

Did anyone watch the Lions vs. Pats yesterday. I'll tell you what, Brady was skittish with that DL coming after him. He was very erratic.

That Lions team is one to watch this season. They don't even have Fairley healthy yet, and they're pretty darn quick off the ball. That DL is going to wreak havoc this season.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Kolb will not be comfortable for awhile yet, He has been hit or miss, He'll be 75% or so at the bye week, then it will be slower progression from there forward maybe 85 % at end of season. We won't see his best until next year. But is He good enough to win it all, depends on The Bean's production.

If He gets the carries, Whiz went back to passing like his hair is on fire at times.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A few things I see:

1) As much as the fans are pointing out the poor protection, for the most part the O-Line is doing a good job creating a pocket for Kolb to throw from. Kolb is panicking. He's not setting his feet when he anticipates the rush and stepping up and getting rid of the ball. If he doesn't stop this, he's going to struggle at times. He's got the arm, intelligence and foot speed to execute. He just needs to work on this part of his game.

2) He's locking on to his primary receiver way too often. The majority of the time, he tried to throw to the first receiver he locked onto and he panicked when the guy wasn't open. This is going to lead to some bad interceptions if he doesn't go through his progressions. I think this can be chalked up to a new guy, in a new system, but we'll see. This is one of those hindrances that separates the good QBs from the bad. Kolb needs some work here.

3) He's hesitating too much. Again this could be chalked up to new guy, new system.

Overall, I think we'll know what we have in Kolb halfway through the season, with the first 3-5 games as an adjustment period. Once he gets past that point, then I think he should be comfortable in our system and we should be able to have a better feel at what kind of QB he's going to be for us.

All of this is true right now. I don't think it matters, though, for a couple of reasons:

1) We're not passing as much right now as we will once the games begin. I fully expect for Kolb to attempt 35-45 passes Week 1 against Carolina.

2) As you say, Kolb's still working through the system.

I worry that Kolb seems to lose the strike zone a little bit, which is going to lead to some Derek Anderson-type streaks of three-and-outs, especially if Whis doesn't turn back to the run. Kolb was--what--3 for 9 before he hit the bomb to Fitz? That's because of the skittishness that people are noticing. His center of gravity moves all around when he's in the pocket and it messes up his mechanics.

Teams are going to roll double coverage over to Fitz and blitz five or six early in the season to see if Kolb can get the ball to Roberts or Heap .

I just hope they take that bubble screen out of the playbook. It looks good in our practices because our corners play eight yards back no matter who's on the field. Our opponents play up on the line because they have no respect for our passing game.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the Lions vs. Pats yesterday. I'll tell you what, Brady was skittish with that DL coming after him. He was very erratic.

That Lions team is one to watch this season. They don't even have Fairley healthy yet, and they're pretty darn quick off the ball. That DL is going to wreak havoc this season.

I predicted that they will win 10-11 games this season. I'm sticking to it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Matt Ryan of Atlanta threw 42 times against the Steelers. That's 4 more than Kolb has thrown the entire pre season. What was that all about?

Matt Leinart and Kurt Warner threw 54 passes vs Green Bay in 2009 but that's no big deal for Arizona. :D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My wife said Kolb thows too many incompletions and is ugly. :confused:

Well I don't know about ugly but he has thrown a lot of incompletions. He's at 55% completion percentage. We need him to get up to at least the 60% range that he had at Philly last season.

Of course about half those incompletions are balls Stephen Williams dropped.
:D

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
All of this is true right now. I don't think it matters, though, for a couple of reasons:

1) We're not passing as much right now as we will once the games begin. I fully expect for Kolb to attempt 35-45 passes Week 1 against Carolina.

It all depends if the pass is successful early on. Whisenhunt will run the ball if we jump to an early lead.

2) As you say, Kolb's still working through the system.

I worry that Kolb seems to lose the strike zone a little bit, which is going to lead to some Derek Anderson-type streaks of three-and-outs, especially if Whis doesn't turn back to the run. Kolb was--what--3 for 9 before he hit the bomb to Fitz? That's because of the skittishness that people are noticing. His center of gravity moves all around when he's in the pocket and it messes up his mechanics.

Teams are going to roll double coverage over to Fitz and blitz five or six early in the season to see if Kolb can get the ball to Roberts or Heap .

I just hope they take that bubble screen out of the playbook. It looks good in our practices because our corners play eight yards back no matter who's on the field. Our opponents play up on the line because they have no respect for our passing game.

It just seems like he sometimes feels pressure that isn't there yet, and when there is pressure he freaks out too much. I do expect him to calm down though, that's a trait of an inexperienced QB. On the long Fitz TD, he stood in the pocket, stepped up threw the ball, and took a shot.

If he looks over film he'll see that, and maybe, just maybe he'll start to realize that sometimes you have to take a shot to get the ball downfield.

Teams bump and run our receivers because the scouting reports would show that we don't have much speed, so there is no reason to give a big cushion.

I can't wait for this season. I fully think we're capable of surprising the league this year, winning some games that people don't think we can. Kolb has good enough tools, that if he stays healthy he has enough weapons to win some ballgames.

The defense is suspect, but there is also enough talent that I predict we'll see about 4 games that we annihilate an opponent. We'll also see 4 games were the defense gives up 40 as well...

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To soon to tell for me but I will say this, I feel a whole lot more comfortable that we can make a first down when it's more than 3rd and 2.

I see a little bit of gunslinger in him. Great qb's have that mentallity so that's a good start. Another plus is he knows Fitz is the go to guy. Good things happen even if the pass is incomplete to Fitz. An interference penalty is as good as a completetion.

Last year defenses at times could single cover Fitz because there was a very good chance our QB"S couldn't get the ball to him even when he was open.

I don't think Kolb is headed to the pro-bowl but my gut feeling to this point is he has what it takes and he will only get better as the reps add up.

OP
OP
LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Lombardi was on The Herd this AM and basically shared his concerns that Kolb panics when the pressure is on in the pocket and when the game is on the line, so this observation is certainly not unique to some on this board.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lombardi was on The Herd this AM and basically shared his concerns that Kolb panics when the pressure is on in the pocket and when the game is on the line, so this observation is certainly not unique to some on this board.

Whats the definition of panic around here?

OP
OP
LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Lombardi says that in pressure situations that he also has a tendency to lock on to his recivers and used both INTs in yesterday's game as an example...

Lombardi said its a concern he has always had about Kolb.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

I thought I saw a graphic that his QB rating was through the roof in the 4th quarter, not yesterday but previously.

OP
OP
LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I thought I saw a graphic that his QB rating was through the roof in the 4th quarter, not yesterday but previously.
That may very well be true, but its not a reflection of how he is performing under pressure.

OP
OP
LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Sando weighs in on the subject:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/46413/tough-lessons-for-kevin-kolb-cardinals

SEATTLE -- When the Arizona Cardinals needed their quarterback to drive them into field-goal range with the game on the line, Kevin Kolb threw an interception.

Fluke play? Not for the Cardinals during an unsightly 13-10 defeat to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday at CenturyLink Field.

Kolb had faced a similar set of circumstances right before halftime. The Seahawks picked him off that time as well, one of the leading reasons the Cardinals left Seattle with the same point total they managed with Max Hall and Derek Anderson as their quarterbacks during a 22-10 defeat here last season...

...Kolb has generally delivered, with a few very specific and damaging exceptions. He's had a hand in four turnovers, all in opponents' territory, during the Cardinals' 1-2 start to this season. Switch a couple of those giveaways into positive plays and Arizona might not have lost to Rex Grossman and Tarvaris Jackson in consecutive weeks...

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Sando weighs in on the subject:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/46413/tough-lessons-for-kevin-kolb-cardinals

SEATTLE -- When the Arizona Cardinals needed their quarterback to drive them into field-goal range with the game on the line, Kevin Kolb threw an interception.

Fluke play? Not for the Cardinals during an unsightly 13-10 defeat to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday at CenturyLink Field.

Kolb had faced a similar set of circumstances right before halftime. The Seahawks picked him off that time as well, one of the leading reasons the Cardinals left Seattle with the same point total they managed with Max Hall and Derek Anderson as their quarterbacks during a 22-10 defeat here last season...

...Kolb has generally delivered, with a few very specific and damaging exceptions. He's had a hand in four turnovers, all in opponents' territory, during the Cardinals' 1-2 start to this season. Switch a couple of those giveaways into positive plays and Arizona might not have lost to Rex Grossman and Tarvaris Jackson in consecutive weeks...

Point made, and point true.

But holy mackerel those are some high expectations on someone who hust started his 10th NFL game, and is 2 months into his time with a team.

The knock on Kolb at Philly is he left the pocket too much. I can see that getting better.

If Warner can solve fumbling problems then Kolb can learn to stay in the pocket a bit longer......hmmmm.

Warner solved his problems with glovers, maybe Kolb needs new cleats ?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Warner solved his problems with glovers, maybe Kolb needs new cleats ?

I'm telling you Rugby I've got this figured out. Before each practice a coach ties Kolbs shoestrings together, so when he leaves the pocket he falls on his ass. It will break his habit very quickly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05