Kolb will finish the season strong

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
LOL... right... it's just an incredible coincidence that the two guys who were the most vociferous two people here as far as boasting about Kolb while deingrating anyone else's opinion (and have been all over this board for YEARS) just happen to dissappear off the face of the planet after Kolb fell on his face, then resurfaced ONLY after his back-up fell on his face against the best defense in the league (but suprisingly were nowhere to be found when he was part of the team that went 2-0 after their guy went 0 for his last 6).

so what happened? did you guys fry up all your fish so now you'll be here for the duration? or will you suddenly be deluged in fish if Kolb gets back in there and stinks up the joint like every other QB we've had the last two years?

Hey, he also had enough time to troll on the ASU board and tell us all about the love letters he sends their AD. Creepy!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The only thing which keeps me somewhat optimistic about Kolb is that I still hear some in the league who says he can be a starter in this league. I don't remember who but some say he can. Gosh I hope. My own opinion is not too optimistic but I do not get money to evaluate football talent and admit I'm lacking. So far Kolb had gotten worse as the season has went along. Maybe our defense which seems much improved will help his efforts and maybe just maybe the OL will play to the level of last game. I personally think we need to draft a QB but I sincerely hope Kolb gives some hope with the rest of the season where we won't be searching next year. This team has so many areas which need attention.

SunDevil

Reaction score
April when the Lockout was in full effect? C'mon now. Don't think that Larry gave Kolb a peek at our playbook? Do you really thinking that seeing the playbook of an opposing team is that great of an advantage (or disadvantage)? You can see old NFL teams' playbooks on the internet. It's not about the individual plays or even the language; not in this offense. It's about making the correct keys and working on your timing with your targets.

I'm not sure how AZF can say that the last three weeks (when Kolb was inactive) proved that Kolb has what it takes to be an NFL QB. That doesn't mean anything at all. And AZF certainly can't explain how Kolb got worse every game as the season wore on. Nor can he explain how it's damning on John Skelton to go 2-0 against mediocre teams, but it's perfectly all right that Kolb look awful against Washington, Minnesota, New York, and Seattle.

The only thing good about the prospect of Kolb falling on his face Sunday is that it might drive AZF off the board for another eleven weeks with his talk of how much Kolb reminds him of Aaron Rodgers.

You mean April when the lockout was lifted for 2 days...which happened to be the day of the draft and the day after? The rookies definitely received their playbooks in April. Regardless of what you may think, Kolb did not receive his playbook until August. Even if Larry let him see it (which i do not believe) that is far different than actually having it and studying it for 4.5 months..

SD

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems the best thing that can be said about Kolb is he didn't have a game as bad as Skelton did vs the Niners. Well that is high praise indeed.

Personally I cheer for both when playing. Neither has made me stop worrying about our biggest need coming into this season.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
As much as I think Kolb is awful, he will do just enough to give us that fake hope we always get as Cardinals fans.

The Cardinal Calender ? Oh Yeah, I got it. Time to bust it out.

Here is my Cardinals Calender, learn it.....love it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My meltdown already happen with no yelling or screaming. I watched last week as "The same ol' Cardinals" took the field, and did the same ol' crapola.

So I went back to my roots as a Cardinals fan and broke out the standard procedure. As seen below:

Jan.-Feb.: Watch the playoffs and wish the Cardinals could make it there again [edit:circa 2010]

March: Read about Free Agency, and listen to the annuall Graves speech about how we don't need a top of the line free agent and we are going to get mid-level guys to fill in spots. Translated as: Eventhough this team annually sucks eggs, we are not going to do what it takes to improve it.

April: Watch front office screw up yet another draft for the 50th year in a row.

May: Listen to the annuall we are waiting for June 1st cuts speech, or after the first week of the season speech [edit: circa 2010]

June: Get excited for camp, and fill yourself with false hope since you are so desparate to enjoy the [edit:circa 2010] Cardinals football season regardless of the fact you know deep inside they suck.

July: Listen to the new coach, and new system say how things are comming together, and about the "talent" level this squad has.

August: Waiting for the annual "The Cardinals are going to turn the corner this year" from the sports writers. And the standard Michael Bidwill "This is not your same ol' Cardinals" speech.

September: Watch the first four games. Usually come out 2-2 with 2 miraculous loses that defy logic, physics, and could not be better written in Hollywood.

October: Watch the team go about 1-3 with one or two huge blowout losses that demoralizes the team in a whole.

November: Watch the team go 0-4 and pack it in for the season by week eight, leaving the fans to talk about next year, and new players in free agency (that the team won't sign anyway), and the draft class (that the front office will screw up anyway)

Decemeber: Watch the team go 3-1 to ensure we never get a good draft spot and to give a little hope towards next season, cause you have to have hope in order to smash it into tiny, isty, bitsy pieces the following October.

Then repeat.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I would rephrase that and say that the Arizona Cardinals went 2-0 (actually 2-1) during Skelton's time as a starter. This isn't baseball and Skelton and Kolb aren't pitchers. If you really think that particular statistic is the end all be all, we should have signed one of the players you wanted in the offseason: Vince Young.

Nice try. Find one place where I thought that we should go get Vince Young. I was a consistent voice that Young shouldn't start anywhere and was a real concern. But if you have to jam words down my gullet to make yourself feel better about riding Kevin Kolb's jock all offseason, more power to you.

The first game, the offense as a whole did little to contribute to the victory. Give the game balls to defense and special teams. The second game, Skelton gets kudos for some of his plays, but still looked VERY inaccurate (like Anderson inaccurate) and was not compelling in his argument for the starting job. And last Sunday showed that he is still very raw and undeveloped despite being in the system for a year and a half longer than Kolb

Any more or less than the defense did to secure the win against Carolina? What about what the defense did to keep us close against New York? How about the (effectively) 24 points that the defense gave us versus Baltimore? How effective was Kolb in keeping us in that game?

Skelton did more to make a case for a starting job by winning two games and losing one than Kolb did in winning one game and losing six. Kolb going of-er in making something happen when the game's on the line isn't encouraging.

Why? Because AZ Finest has forgotten more football in his life than almost everyone on this board will ever know? Because he can discuss the game at an intellectual level? Completely ridiculous.

AZ Finest isn't "driven" off the boards by anyone. He's got bigger fish to fry in his life besides talking about the Cardinals with a bunch of people who these days sound like paranoid schizophrenics off their meds. This is also the reason you don't see me here as much anymore. Because a person chooses not to post on here doesn't mean he is too timid to be here.

And no, he does not think Kolb is equal to Rodgers, but rather, he compares their situations at the beginning of their respective careers.

AZF saying that he loves Max Hall and then the next year following up with how Kevin Kolb is the most ready to win now doesn't do much to support your assertion that AZF knows more than anyone else here. Ron Wolfley probably does know more about the game than anyone here, but you don't hear him saying that Brandon Keith looks like a first rounder anymore, do you?

AZF thought he saw something in some highlight videos of Kevin Koln that weren't there. You did the same thing. I don't think anyone would have a problem with saying that he's not ready to give up on Kevin Kolb. But when AZF says that no one can come to any conclusion about Kevin Kolb until next year's training camp? That's like Graves saying during the 2001 training camp that we need to judge the team by what it does on the field Week 1. It's clear that he's not a good player right now, and not getting better.

Propping up Kolb's accuracy over and over and then pointing to missed throws to Rob Housler as an example of how Kolb's getting better makes no sense on an intellectual level.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When Kolb has had time, he has made good plays. He also has held the ball too long in certain situations, but that's a timing thing too.

I get agitated how the NFL by nature is SO week to week in terms of perception. With Kolb he has ALOT of good physical attributes and has the mental part down of being the QB of a team. That much was seen the last three weeks IMO.

The rest of your stuff seems to have been responded to and/or picked apart already, so I focused here. Skelton doesn't have a single thing to do with Kolb, so that is completely irrelevant. This is the big problem with your philosophy. Kolb may not have the offense down perfectly yet, and that's fine. THAT is forgivable. The one thing he DOESN'T have down and HASN'T proven is that he has the mental part about being a QB of a team down. That is completely opposite to the reality of the situation. A QB that has the mental part of the game down does not flee when not pressured, nor does he ignore a perfectly good pocket in favor of running straight backwards. That is NOT what a QB that has the 'mental' part of the game down does.

I hope and pray he improves, gets better, and gives me hope that we should stick with him next season. That would be a good thing. The problem is that the Kolb apologists keep insisting that his problems are all system problems, when his problems more often happen to be skittishness and scaredy-cat QB panic play.

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
I disagree, I hope he does well enough that we can get some money back trading him. Skelton had one bad game and 2 good games. How fickle we are.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I disagree, I hope he does well enough that we can get some money back trading him. Skelton had one bad game and 2 good games. How fickle we are.

This is the statement that drives Kolb apologists crazy. Skelton really hasn't had any "good" games. His highest completion % on the season was 57.1, and his YPA has been less than fantastic.

Skelton hasn't been good, but he HAS been "good enough." Kolb hasn't been good enough except in the season opener, when it still took a PR touchdown to win the game, plus a couple turnovers.

Skelton hasn't been good, but he's been better than Kolb. Neither has been good enough to give you confidence for 2012.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So what are we looking for in a QB anyway? An "elite" QB, capable of taking us to the big one? Or a "good" QB, capable of getting us to the playoffs now an then?

The "elite" QB's are usually "good" right out of the gate, aren't they? Look at Brady, Manning, Warner. There are exceptions, like Rodgers, maybe Elway and Aikman?

Neither Kobb nor Skelton has been "good" out of the gate. More like "bad" or "okay" out of the gate. But the chance is there for both to be an exception to the rule - and raise his game to become "good". I wouldn't bet my money on "elite", but stranger things have happened.

So going back to my original question, are we happy with a "good" QB? Can a "good" QB take you to the Super Bowl? Probably not without an "elite" defense and OL.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is the statement that drives Kolb apologists crazy. Skelton really hasn't had any "good" games. His highest completion % on the season was 57.1, and his YPA has been less than fantastic.

Skelton hasn't been good, but he HAS been "good enough." Kolb hasn't been good enough except in the season opener, when it still took a PR touchdown to win the game, plus a couple turnovers.

Skelton hasn't been good, but he's been better than Kolb. Neither has been good enough to give you confidence for 2012.

Well said.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
LOL... right... it's just an incredible coincidence that the two guys who were the most vociferous two people here as far as boasting about Kolb while deingrating anyone else's opinion (and have been all over this board for YEARS) just happen to dissappear off the face of the planet after Kolb fell on his face, then resurfaced ONLY after his back-up fell on his face against the best defense in the league (but suprisingly were nowhere to be found when he was part of the team that went 2-0 after their guy went 0 for his last 6).

so what happened? did you guys fry up all your fish so now you'll be here for the duration? or will you suddenly be deluged in fish if Kolb gets back in there and stinks up the joint like every other QB we've had the last two years?

I understand your point, but none of which is true.

I have been busy dealing with personal **** in my life and because it is Thanksgiving week, it gives me time to get caught up on responsibilities and decompress a bit. I'm not here to "rub it in anyone's face" about Skelton. As a matter of fact, I made note in another thread that the team should put the two in a fair head-to-head competition during TC next offseason and really don't care who the QB is as long as he produces. I'm going to just leave it at that for now. I'll let AZ Finest discuss his own stuff if he wishes, but trust me, it has nothing to do with ASFN. And no, after this week is over, I probably wont be on here much anymore regardless of the outcome of games or position values.

Also, the conversations here have been largely divided and I think objectivity has gone to the wayside, just like in 2008 when the point of contention was about Warner v. Leinart, and everyone was hell bent on their opinions. Same goes with this year, except I refuse to take part inn the puke and vitriol like I did three years ago. Am I generally a boisterous representative of this board? Absolutely. But only because I am confident in my opinions and not afraid to take heat when it is appropriate.

I respect you Cheese (which is the only reason I'm responding to this post), but I also don't expect you to express sympathy or remotely give a ****, so I'll let you hold onto the false premise you have that I'm hiding under a rock. After all, it is the internet and I should be taking this personally :sarcasm:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Would just add that Kolb had the vast majority of the snaps with the first team for the first two months---and while Skelton knows the offense from last year, he had to shake off the rust from not having played since the 3rd pre-season game---which I believe earns him even more credit for playing as "good enough" as he did in his first 2 games.

I think we all know what's going to happen---

Because of his propensity to run a way from pressure, Kolb will struggle most of the year---but he will have one stellar game late in the year in a meaningless, insignificant game that will have the media and many fans saying that this is the Kolb that the Cardinals gave up DRC, a #2 and $65M for.

And thus like hanging on the Philly/Atlanta tape last year---the team will stick with Kolb---for the same reason why they paid so much for him: potential.

Plus---the FO will want not another embarrassing QB development by releasing Kolb and essentially admitting after one year that they misjudged his ability to win games.

That is---unless---

Michael Bidwill shows the cajones and perspicacity to hire a new GM and HC---

Because, if the new regime (GM and HC) feels that they want to go in a different direction than Kolb, then at least the excitement of new leadership and a new approach would mitigate the decision to release him and not pay him the $7M bonus.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How has anybody been right about Kevin Kolb already? I think everybody was saying he would probably suck balls at first, I think I personally might have said something about a pro-bowl a year or two down the road but I aint right or wrong about it yet. My biggest gripe with Kolb is that he didn't show any improvement while it seems the rest of the team has. I brought up Kolb watching Skelton chillin in the pocket (in a different thread), and we should see pretty quickly on Sunday whether it helped or not. Just too dang early is all I'm saying, especially for right or wrong to be thrown around. He sure hasn't started off very well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok, so you were patient about Warner developing into a star after being irrelevant for 5 or so years after St. Louis, but are quick to write off Kolb after being in the offense for less than 3 months? That makes little sense.

You expected instant ROI and didnt get it. Fine, but you sound as if you have already given up on Kolb, which IMO is utterly ridiculous given the circumstances. If you have ever played a down of football past high school or have coached offense in college or the pros, you would know that the QB position is not plug-and-play, like in video games. A QB takes time to develop and learn the offensive scheme. Kolb is coming from one complex scheme, having to unlearn everything about said complex scheme, and adapting to another complex scheme. It's like saying I'm changing my college major from computer engineering to neurobiology. Both are challenging disciplines, but very different in their subject matter. Even Kurt Warner, future first ballot HoFer and one of the most intelligent men to ever touch a football, struggled in this offense in its inception.

And given the fact that Kolb had one month to do all of this before the season started due to the lockout, I'm not the least bit surprised he did not live up to some fan's extremely lofty expectations. As a matter of fact, before the season some here were understanding enough to say they would give him next offseason to be 100% comfortable.

Go read my thread about the list of QBs who have thrown a TD to Fitz and read the final sentence of my OP.

11 QBs since 2004. ELEVEN!!!

Part of the team's collective failures at the QB position have not been about the personnel behind center, but rather, the short leashes some of these guys have had around their necks. Yes, we've had clowns like Anderson and Hall, who are complete garbage, but IMO, that is not the case with Kolb. Hell, this team almost put the final nail in the coffin to Warner's career by benching him for Leinart in 2006 and leaving him on the pine the start of 2007. But because Kurt Warner was...well...Kurt Warner, he overcame that obstacle and turned himself into a first ballot HoFer.

My hope is the organization doesn't listen to its fans anymore and says it will stick with its guy, continue to immerse him in the system, and see what they have in their investment. The alternative is much worse: pick up a journeyman QB or another rookie in 2012 (because successful teams who actually spend time developing QBs into franchise players never kick them to the curb), whose numbers will be just as bad if not worse, miss the playoffs again, and go back to the drawing board in 2013. Rinse, lather, repeat.

I can entertain the argument that Kolb is completely inept, but only if we're having this same conversation one year from now. Most of my friends who love football, have no emotional interest in the Cardinals and can discuss the game on an intellectual level have told me they understand why Kolb is struggling and don't understand the man love for John Skelton.

Otherwise, myself, AZ Finest, and others who are capable of seeing the big picture, will reserve final judgment about Kolb until it is applicable, and now is not the time.

First, the Warner comparison was noted because it was a move I was against when it was made but was thrilled when it worked out. And despite the revisionist history by some people on this board, Warner IMMEDIATELY excelled in Whiz's offense, throwing a ridiculous 27 TD passes in 11 games.

And Warner, even when struggling with Denny Green, you could still see he had talent and could make all the throws, but he turned the ball over too much.

Kolb on the other hand does not show any talent. This is not a case of him not knowing the play book. He lacks the basic skills and instincts required to succeed. Watching him show no composure, miss open guys, ignore open guys, locking onto Fitz, run into sacks, constantly run backwards, turn the ball over like a mad man and gag in the clutch. Nothing he is doing provides a glimmer of hope. Warner was a 2 time MVP who EVERYONE knew had talent. Kolb was on over-hyped stiff who has never done ANYTHING except play poorly and lose the vast majority of his games.

And I did not expect an instant ROI from Kolb. I expected him to fall on his face and give us no hope for the next several years.

As others have said. Kolb does not show ANY reason to think he is qualified to be an NFL starter, and the idea that he is the franchise player that some people had talked themselves into is totally out of the question.

That is the biggest reason I have no patience for Kolb. His MAX potential if he figures it all out will probably be something like Matt Cassell. I dont care about watching this bum try to overcome his faults and become average. I dont want the next "Matt Cassell" to be our QB. The Cards should be looking for something much better than the trash they are stuck with.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand your point, but none of which is true.

I have been busy dealing with personal **** in my life and because it is Thanksgiving week, it gives me time to get caught up on responsibilities and decompress a bit. I'm not here to "rub it in anyone's face" about Skelton. As a matter of fact, I made note in another thread that the team should put the two in a fair head-to-head competition during TC next offseason and really don't care who the QB is as long as he produces. I'm going to just leave it at that for now. I'll let AZ Finest discuss his own stuff if he wishes, but trust me, it has nothing to do with ASFN. And no, after this week is over, I probably wont be on here much anymore regardless of the outcome of games or position values.

Also, the conversations here have been largely divided and I think objectivity has gone to the wayside, just like in 2008 when the point of contention was about Warner v. Leinart, and everyone was hell bent on their opinions. Same goes with this year, except I refuse to take part inn the puke and vitriol like I did three years ago. Am I generally a boisterous representative of this board? Absolutely. But only because I am confident in my opinions and not afraid to take heat when it is appropriate.

I respect you Cheese (which is the only reason I'm responding to this post), but I also don't expect you to express sympathy or remotely give a ****, so I'll let you hold onto the false premise you have that I'm hiding under a rock. After all, it is the internet and I should be taking this personally :sarcasm:

sorry if you're going through a rough patch... just seemed like odd timing... and AZF makes ridiculous claims all the time and pounds on his chest and then routinely disappears when it's clear he's completely wrong, like he usually is. call it guilt by association here.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

You have got to be kidding me? You think I'm hiding?! LOL don't take yourself too seriously Cheese. Did you disappear for a year plus because you were so laughably wrong about Josh McCown? You mentioned at the time you were focused on writing I believe. Are you the only one who can be focusing on your career and taking time off? Jesus if I disappeared because I was wrong about an opinion I would have never come back the day Leinart was cut. Get a grip.

If they were handing out awards for Internet Badasses you and K9 would definitely be placing 1-2 in that race. I could care less if I'm wrong on something and someone points it out. That's kind the point of putting yourself out there with an prediction and taking part on a MB, right?

And as the people I have real interaction with on a day by basis know all too well, I don't enjoy talking about Why the Cardinals suck. Many fans get off on that stuff but not me. This board when the Cardinals are losing is a morgue. And understandably so. But I'm not going to take time out of a 70 hour work and with a new baby to commiserate. It's literally painful for me to do anything but put it out of my mind when they are on 6 game losing streaks.

My point of this thread, KNOWING it was the minority opinion, was to say we are writing Kolb off too fast. I think Kolb is a good player. This was my opinion before the trade, after the trade, and is now. I'm disappointed the initial results aren't better but still stand by my opinion. I'm sorry I'm not some wishy washy pansy who is pushed off an opinion, even when it initially doesnt
look good.

And I still think it will be proven correct. The emotional over charged diatribes of you and K9 aren't going to shift that.

Hiding because I was wrong? LOL think what you want. Sounds like it makes you feel better about yourself anyway so keep it up then;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
April when the Lockout was in full effect? C'mon now. Don't think that Larry gave Kolb a peek at our playbook? Do you really thinking that seeing the playbook of an opposing team is that great of an advantage (or disadvantage)? You can see old NFL teams' playbooks on the internet. It's not about the individual plays or even the language; not in this offense. It's about making the correct keys and working on your timing with your targets.

I'm not sure how AZF can say that the last three weeks (when Kolb was inactive) proved that Kolb has what it takes to be an NFL QB. That doesn't mean anything at all. And AZF certainly can't explain how Kolb got worse every game as the season wore on. Nor can he explain how it's damning on John Skelton to go 2-0 against mediocre teams, but it's perfectly all right that Kolb look awful against Washington, Minnesota, New York, and Seattle.

The only thing good about the prospect of Kolb falling on his face Sunday is that it might drive AZF off the board for another eleven weeks with his talk of how much Kolb reminds him of Aaron Rodgers.

LOL you are a mess bro. I think Kolb got worse because the offensive game plan was installed over time and the OT play has gotten worse as time went on. I also would hope looking better against Carolina, Washington, and Seattle then Pittsburgh and Baltimore is pretty self explanatory. That sufficient?

I'll also explain the phenomenon of John Skelteton since you don't actually watch games. The defense has played better this past 3 games then at any point this season. That's a fact
right? Does anyone refute that? Skeleton played one above average quarter and the defense was balling out. You watched the game right? you saw last Sundays too right? That was a "rookie" performance against a good Defense. That's why I write off Skeleton. A good defense won't be fooled by him and knows where he is going with the ball.

Kolbs played bad, but not THAT bad. And again Skeleton looked below average the previous two games. He had like 2 sustained drives in two games and everyone was licking his Lollipop. Did I answer that question?

LOL at the last comment. We get it. Putting Rodgers and Kolb looks pretty off at this point, although again you are leaving out context. Little over excited admittedly.

Aren't you the guy who STILL refuses to acknowledge Daryl Washington in spite of mountains of plaudits and visual evidence isn't the bust you claim he would be? Or that Karlos Dansby was overrated wildly overpaid and is now the South Beach socialite I predicted he would be?

I would say you should take another 2 year break, but we know that's in the hands of the mods. Not your own will or because you have anything important going on outside of message board land.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Pure conjecture and speculation. Almost like the Leinart situation. You try to get people to give you proof that the locker room turned on him in 2010 when all it takes is putting 2 & 2 together. Only when it's convenient for you.....

I would rephrase that and say that the Arizona Cardinals went 2-0 (actually 2-1) during Skelton's time as a starter. This isn't baseball and Skelton and Kolb aren't pitchers. If you really think that particular statistic is the end all be all, we should have signed one of the players you wanted in the offseason: Vince Young.

The first game, the offense as a whole did little to contribute to the victory. Give the game balls to defense and special teams. The second game, Skelton gets kudos for some of his plays, but still looked VERY inaccurate (like Anderson inaccurate) and was not compelling in his argument for the starting
job. And last Sunday showed that he is still very raw and undeveloped despite being in the system for a year and a half longer than Kolb

Why? Because AZ Finest has forgotten more football in his life than almost everyone on this board will ever know? Because he can discuss the game at an intellectual level? Completely ridiculous.

AZ Finest isn't "driven" off the boards by anyone. He's got bigger fish to fry in
his life besides talking about the Cardinals with a bunch of people who these days sound like paranoid schizophrenics off their meds. This is also the reason you don't see me here as much anymore. Because a person chooses not to post on here doesn't mean he is too timid to be here.

And no, he does not think Kolb is equal to Rodgers, but rather, he compares their situations at the beginning of their respective careers.

Thanks bud. You get me.

You don't have to fall on the sword for me though. I got it.

Appreciate what you said though.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
How has anybody been right about Kevin Kolb already? I think everybody was saying he would probably suck balls at first, I think I personally might have said something about a pro-bowl a year or two down the road but I aint right or wrong about it yet. My biggest gripe with Kolb is that he didn't show any improvement while it seems the rest of the team has. I brought up Kolb watching Skelton chillin in the pocket (in a different thread), and we should see pretty quickly on Sunday whether it helped or not. Just too dang early is all I'm saying, especially for right or wrong to be thrown around. He sure hasn't started off very well.

I think the main concern most of us have is that each week of the season he seemed to get worse, not better. Most of us believed he'd start off bad and get progressively better as he learned the offense and got more comfortable with his receivers. Regressing like he did kills most of the hope we could have had that he'd be better next year.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Hey, he also had enough time to troll on the ASU board and tell us all about the love letters he sends their AD. Creepy!

Sweet insight Chris. Me having ongoing dialogue (including for work purposes) with the Director of Atheletics of a major University and my alma mater is creepy to you. Why don't you take another drag of the beer bong and make sure you ready for work at Mickey D's tomorrow.

Congrats on the Idaho Potato Bowl invitation being extended later tonight.

31-27 boyyyyyyyyyy

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think the main concern most of us have is that each week of the season he seemed to get worse, not better. Most of us believed he'd start off bad and get progressively better as he learned the offense and got more comfortable with his receivers. Regressing like he did kills most of the hope we could have had that he'd be better next year.

Dew you don't think playing better defenses is why he seemingly regressed?

Even if Kolb only plays marginal the rest of this year don't you think a full offseason in Wiz offense ( again NO ONE the Cardinals have had under center since Wiz came on has looked good initially in this offense ) and maybe new tackles would lead to him playing better?

You seem pretty even handed on this so I ask in all honesty. Don't you think it's early to write him off completely like you did in the above post?

TJ

Reaction score
First, the Warner comparison was noted because it was a move I was against when it was made but was thrilled when it worked out. And despite the revisionist history by some people on this board, Warner IMMEDIATELY excelled in Whiz's offense, throwing a ridiculous 27 TD passes in 11 games.

Right. And the Warner move took three years to work out and many thought it was a waste as well since took over a few times for Warner.

EDIT: And BTW, Im in no way saying Kolb = Warner, because Warner is a first ballot HoF QB.

And Warner, even when struggling with Denny Green, you could still see he had talent and could make all the throws, but he turned the ball over too much.
You can see that in Kolb too if you paid attention. Go watch some film from Philly and how well he composes himself when given protection. As a matter of fact, in Arizona, when he stays in the pocket, he completes more than 63% of his passes.

Kolb on the other hand does not show any talent. This is not a case of him not knowing the play book. He lacks the basic skills and instincts required to succeed. Watching him show no composure, miss open guys, ignore open guys, locking onto Fitz, run into sacks, constantly run backwards, turn the ball over like a mad man and gag in the clutch. Nothing he is doing provides a glimmer of hope. Warner was a 2 time MVP who EVERYONE knew had talent. Kolb was on over-hyped stiff who has never done ANYTHING except play poorly and lose the vast majority of his games.
Did you watch Warner in 2006? The guy could barely complete even the simple passes, and when a cold breeze came through the stadium, he would fumble the ball. He was regarded by fans as a two-time MVP who was a has-been and never-will-be-again. Fans couldn't wait for him to ride the pine.

Part of the reason I wont stick a fork in Kolb until he is given a fair chance. It is entirely too early to do so.

And I did not expect an instant ROI from Kolb. I expected him to fall on his face and give us no hope for the next several years.
Fine. But this gives me an idea of where your mindset has been since day one. Realize, much of your statements are overgeneralizations about Kolb.

As others have said. Kolb does not show ANY reason to think he is qualified to be an NFL starter, and the idea that he is the franchise player that some people had talked themselves into is totally out of the question.
Who are the "others?" Because the "others" (football experts) I listen to say that Kolb was, is, and will be a great investment for the organization. Recently, I challenged Adam Schein from Sirius NFL Radio over twitter on an old comment he made about Kolb in August. He told me he still believes he is worth every dime and will eventually come into his own.

The general consensus is that he needs immersion in the offense and a full offseason to develop and that the only fair grade anyone can give him is an "incomplete."

Although I haven't been around much lately and you're a relative newbie, the "others" on ASFN have said it is futile to try and reason with you on this subject because you are so over-dramatic about the quarterback situation. I understand your concern, but as my argument states, the team has played the QB carousel way too many times since it arrived in AZ. Time to pick one guy, give him confidence, help him develop, and immerse him in the system.

That is the biggest reason I have no patience for Kolb. His MAX potential if he figures it all out will probably be something like Matt Cassell. I dont care about watching this bum try to overcome his faults and become average. I dont want the next "Matt Cassell" to be our QB. The Cards should be looking for something much better than the trash they are stuck with.
How do you figure? The man won two offensive player of the week awards while spot starting in Philadelphia, suggesting the ceiling might be a bit higher. No, I dont expect 390 yard passing and 3 TD performances from him week in and week out, but I expect him to improve next season and alleviate many of his uncanny mistakes.

I try and tell people to "give it time," but "time" is not any fans' friend these days.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score

And you would be "right" on this ;)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Sweet insight Chris. Me having ongoing dialogue (including for work purposes) with the Director of Atheletics of a major University and my alma mater is creepy to you. Why don't you take another drag of the beer bong and make sure you ready for work at Mickey D's tomorrow.

Congrats on the Idaho Potato Bowl invitation being extended later tonight.

31-27 boyyyyyyyyyy

You should give your boy TJ a big hug, you come back to the board acting like a total clown, get called out for it, and he still sticks up for you. Quite admirable, that's true devotion. You guys are the best, congrats on the big win, you should be proud of an unbelievable season.