Kudos to Hubie Brown

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
I thought he did a great job commenting on the game. He's head and shoulders above all the other color guys.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He's head and shoulders above all the other color guys.

I agree, but remember it's more polite to say "guys of color."

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought both he and Al Michaels did a good job. Of course anything is great when you've had to suffer through Bill Walton for a couple games.

The one problem I had with Hubie Brown was his take on that drive to the basket by Amare Stoudemire at the end of the game where Tony Parker flopped. He said he thought it was an offensive foul. It was not. It was a great no call by the referees.

Joe Mama

mribnik

Reaction score
I know it would be hard to call, but with the way it's happening, it almost seems necessary for the league to start calling fouls for flopping like hockey does. It's getting ridiculous. I don't want this sport to end up like European soccer with players rolling around on the court grabbing their ankle, and then propping up to shoot free throws once the foul is called.

cly2tw

Reaction score
This one and the other when Mohammed flopped were good no calls. Amare is very conscieous about not making big arm and shoulder swings the way Malone used to. I guess the refs reviewed some previous games including those against Mavs and realized that they unfairly called those against Amare.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Hubie is good on technique but he was disgusting when it came to the spirit of the game. He said nothing about the constant theatrics of the Spurs - he's worse than the referees.
Even the time they called a double technical, he watched several replays which clearly showed that Amare had nothing to do with Manu winding up on his back and still said Amare knocked him down.

Another time he was raving about a great 'veteran' move that Duncan made wheeling into the post off a pick and roll and had it replayed - which showed St. Timmie hooking Q with his forearms and bulldozing him down under the basket. I was expecting him to replay a few of Tim's picks where the Suns went over the pick so he could point out the great, veteran way Timmie shoves his hip out into the passing defenders - with the 'choirboy' look on his face all the while.

I know Duncan is a very good player but it's annoying as the devil to watch him routinely foul and get away with it - even get lauded for it by the announcers. He typically fouls on every defensive play with a hand on the opponents' lower body and he fouls on most screens he sets, sometimes twice.

It would be good comedy to see Tim and Manu on opposing teams - Tim looking angelicly heavenward as he gives Manu a hip, sending him into a floppsican-moppsican routine ending with a 20 foot slide at the far FT line.

I should mention that the refs were not suckered quite as often by the Spurs flops as they were in the first three games - I think we got three no-calls plus they did hit Manu with a technical in the double technical episode. Of course, they should have hit Manu with a foul when he threw himself at Amare's legs while they were chasing after that loose ball near the end. In fact, that was dangerous enough to warrent a flagrent call.

Hopefully, the refs will keep improving and with Manu it's not that hard as he has a 'tell' - whenever he hits the floor he's flopping for sure. Actually, that's pretty much true of the others, as well.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
...Tim looking angelicly heavenward as he gives Manu a hip, sending him into a floppsican-moppsican routine ending with a 20 foot slide at the far FT line.

You must be registered for see images

Flopsy and Mopsy! Phew - man, that's old. Hmmm -
I would imagine our FO is sending tapes to the NBA office after each game with comments about guys' routines and how they are/aren't being called, just as Cuban and others do. JC said a few months ago he is in touch with the league office several times a week reminding them about refs needing to call hand-checking fouls, etc.

PHX2

Fashion Police
Reaction score
I've been a fan of the game for like a decade now and I feel that everytime I listen to Hubie I learn something new about the game...he doesn't have the hilarity like a Tom Tolbert but he does an excellent job talking about the game and whats going on...as for the theatrics of last nights game I'm no fan of the Al Michaels (doing NBA pbp anyway) but I thought he did a good enough job covering the theatrics...especially with Manu...lol

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
mribnik said:
I know it would be hard to call, but with the way it's happening, it almost seems necessary for the league to start calling fouls for flopping like hockey does. It's getting ridiculous. I don't want this sport to end up like European soccer with players rolling around on the court grabbing their ankle, and then propping up to shoot free throws once the foul is called.

:raccoon:

sunsfn

Reaction score
PHX2 said:
I've been a fan of the game for like a decade now and I feel that everytime I listen to Hubie I learn something new about the game...he doesn't have the hilarity like a Tom Tolbert but he does an excellent job talking about the game and whats going on...as for the theatrics of last nights game I'm no fan of the Al Michaels (doing NBA pbp anyway) but I thought he did a good enough job covering the theatrics...especially with Manu...lol

I have always thought that Hubie is one of the best at telling what is happening and what is going to happen. I have enjoyed listening to him for many years.

You may not always agree with what he says, but he is telling you what he sees. He has a better trained eye than most of us and is usually right in his assesement of what is happening on the court.

I think that Hubie started to, or actually did talk about the Steve Nash great play where he got the ball to Amare falling out of bounds, but at the same time, Michaels interrupted him with the Amare play.

Did anyone record the game and can go to that part to see if he did?
Does anyone care? :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake