Kurt Warner is better the Peyton Manning...

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Disagree, Manning has had many successful seasons in a much tougher conference! He is the smartest and best QB in the league today! While Warner has had a great season this year he doesn't have the constant success that Peyton has. And Brady we weren't even talking about him but I think the fact that Matt Cassell stepped in and they still won 11 games speaks volumes about how their COACH is great, I don't really believe Brady has the success he has had on another team.

No question the Warner is a great QB I never said he wasn't. Doesn't change the fact I think Peyton is better imo. And whats the question....its a pretty clear statement Championships don't make great QB's, sometimes in team sports the better team wins regardless of who their QB is.

LMAO at some of these sentences.

I'll ask you one quick question to finish this sucker up. If Peyton Manning is so great - then why are his numbers so bad in the post season? Its obvious you play better teams who are game planning for you and I am assuming you just read that article. Maybe over the course of one or two games you can explain it away but he has 15 games as a sample size.

Postseason play DOES In fact define greatness.

I am not sure there is ANYWAY you can justify that. But I bet your going to try. ;)

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
And whats the question....its a pretty clear statement Championships don't make great QB's, sometimes in team sports the better team wins regardless of who their QB is.
"A" championship doesn't make a great QB(as someone mentioned Dilfer) but winning and excelling in the postseason definitely do. Marino isn't the best example of an exception either because Marino carried his teams in most cases. He never had the threat of a running game and rarely had good/great defenses. Manning has had a wide variety of support in many areas.

He also hasn't always played in the toughest divsion in football. The Texans and Jaguars have had plenty of lean years and the Titans, although usually good on defense, don't score very much. Put up 20+ on them and there's a good chance you'll win.

Manning has put up some great regular season numbers but the article points directly at his dropoff in the playoffs and I think that is a pretty good barometer of greatness. Bradshaw, Starr, Montana, etc. all got "better" when the playoffs started.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I like both Qb and do not think if you had to pick one for the Super Bowl you would have an edge taking one over the other. Kurt has done it in the playoffs and Super Bowl. Peyton has done it both in the playoffs and regular seasons. This season I felt Warner was the MVP and why Peyton got it is still a mystery. Both have had great receivers on there squad and both have had good Rb. I would say Peyton has had better Oline play but that would be spliting hairs. A healthy Kurt is as good as any to play the game and better than most. Had he not got a concussion against Seattle in 2001 and hurt his thumb later he would have had all the credintials he needs to be considered one of the best ever. Longevity is the only misssing ingrediant. Sign him for 2 more seasons and let him throw it to Fitz and there will be no more excuses to not count him as one of the top 5 of all time IMO.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Sign him for 2 more seasons and let him throw it to Fitz and there will be no more excuses to not count him as one of the top 5 of all time IMO.
He's certainly my favorite but even I have a hard time figuring out where to place him on the all-time lists. I think he's in the conversation but there are plenty of people who point to all the great receivers/playmakers that he's had.

I don't remember which analyst it was but they were talking about how lucky he was to have been on two different teams with such great receivers. Sort of a "he's good, but..."

I hope it's my perception and not reality but it seems that other great QB's are seen as getting the ball to their great receivers while Warner has great receivers that catch it for him.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give me a break Peyton plays in the AFC umm and yeah the AFC teams have been better than NFC teams the last 10 years. Manning gets to play teams like Pitt, NE, Tenn, Chargers, Jags, Baltimore so yeah **** happens when you get to play some of the toughest defenses in the league, and Manning rarely has a running game thats of any signifigance!

I don't really have to justify anything AZFINEST because in my opinion Manning will go down as the best ever. The topic was if Warner was better than Manning and truth be told he's not, Warner had a great year and has had great success in the playoffs but thats not imo what defines a QB.

If this same question was asked before the season what would your answer have been? You know back when Warner was 5-2 in playoffs? Point is great teams can beat great QB's if NE wasn't any good how many titles doesn Manning have....more than one!

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I don't really have to justify anything AZFINEST because in my opinion Manning will go down as the best ever. The topic was if Warner was better than Manning and truth be told he's not, Warner had a great year and has had great success in the playoffs but thats not imo what defines a QB.
If that is the case then why bother even talking about lists of great Qb. Just vote the one that has the best measurables and call it a day. That is a crazy statement. Of course you judge them on there success in the playoffs and Super Bowls. Would Namath, Montana, Bradshaw be considered at the top of lists had they not done extraordinary things in the playoffs and Super Bowls. How about Elway or Farve...thought of as good but not all time greats until they won Super Bowls. The definition of great Qb is how they performed under the most pressure in the playoffs and Super Bowls.

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
I would take Warner in a heartbeat. The following is just one of the reasons why. This was posted by BCEagle on another thread here:

"Kurt Warner has played in 10 playoff games. His teams are 8-2 in those games. In five of those games, his teams trailed or were tied on the last drive, and they scored a TD all five times (4 passing TDs). Warner has a perfect passer rating of 158.3 4 TDs 0 INTs when the playoff game is on the line. No other QB has had this kind of success when the game is on the line -- not Brady, not Manning, not Montana, not Elway .... no one."

That's... pretty startling even to me, but it's true. Even the losses, it's true in the SB to the Pats... they came back and tied it. And the situation didn't come up in the loss to the Saints in the 2000 season because Az Hakim fumbled.

Wow.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
After watching Marshall Faulk interview Warner on Total Access, it dawned on me that Warner has now taken two ex-Colt RB's to the Super Bowl. Sometimes it's pretty amazing how connected some of these things can be.

Sort of puts a new spin on this particular conversation when you consider the Colts couldn't make things work just right with either Faulk or James but the Rams and Cardinals could.

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
After watching Marshall Faulk interview Warner on Total Access, it dawned on me that Warner has now taken two ex-Colt RB's to the Super Bowl. Sometimes it's pretty amazing how connected some of these things can be.

Sort of puts a new spin on this particular conversation when you consider the Colts couldn't make things work just right with either Faulk or James but the Rams and Cardinals could.

As far as Faulk goes, while I don't think we could get much consensus on Warner being better than Manning, I'm pretty sure we can on his being better than Jim Harbaugh.

And I loved Jim Harbaugh.