Kwame Brown: If available, should we go after him?

fordronken

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2052486

Decision clouds Brown's future in Washington
Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The Washington Wizards suspended forward Kwame Brown on Tuesday for the remainder of the playoffs.

The announcement came after Brown, coach Eddie Jordan and president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld met for about 10 minutes before the team's practice.

"We had some philosophical differences," Grunfeld said, "and we're putting those behind us and focusing on the job at hand."

Brown won't travel with the team or participate in any practices for the remainder of the season. The Wizards are tied with the Chicago Bulls 2-2 in their Eastern Conference first-round series. Game 5 is Wednesday in Chicago.

"We're not going to get into specifics. We're going to do things a certain way. These players are committed to that," said Grunfeld, referring to the remaining players on the roster. "And those are the type of players we want around us."

Brown played only four minutes in the Game 3 victory Saturday, then didn't attend practice Sunday and Game 4 Monday. The team had said he was absent because of a stomach virus.

Asked whether Brown was sick, Grunfeld said: "He talked to our trainer and he told him he had a stomach flu."

Asked whether Brown was upset over a lack of playing time, Grunfeld said: "Everybody likes to play as much as they can. That's typical for the NBA."

The team's action throws into doubt Brown's future with the team. He turned down a multiyear contract extension last fall, which means he will become a restricted free agent at the end of the season. Grunfeld had previously said he would like to keep Brown. On Tuesday, he was more ambiguous.

"He's still part of our organization," Grunfeld said. "We'll deal with that in the offseason. He's going to be a restricted free agent in the summer, and we'll deal with that at the appropriate time."

A message left for Brown's agent was not immediately returned.

Brown has been a major disappointment for the Wizards since becoming the first high school player chosen No. 1 overall in the NBA draft in 2001. After a miserable two years dealing with the demanding Michael Jordan, Brown showed glimpses of his potential last season when he followed a 30-point, 19-rebound game against Sacramento with a 27 and 11 performance against Atlanta, but he often languished in single digits.

He averaged 10.9 points and 7.4 rebounds for the season, just enough improvement for the Wizards to hope that his long awaited breakout was on the horizon.

But Brown broke a bone in his right foot during a pickup game last summer and started the season on the injured list. He played in just 42 games, starting 14, and was essentially a big-body role player off the bench. He averaged 7.0 points and 4.9 rebounds and was frequently booed at home.

Brown's numbers were much better on the road, a result, he claimed, of the treatment he received from the Wizards' fans. Gilbert Arenas even appealed to fans not to boo Brown before the Wizards' first home playoff game Saturday. The fans responded by cheering Brown graciously when he entered the game for his four minutes of play.

Reaction score
This guy is a truly sad story.
But he needs much more than a hug right now. ;)
Good chemistry is too friglie to risk for Kwame. But I've thought about it too. Sounds like a really bad situation, IMO.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Joe Barely Cares play for the Bullets before joining the Suns for a cup of coffee and a nap?

I would be against any move that strains team chemistry.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i'd be all for going after Kwame this offseason. he's not a bad kid, he's just a young immature kid who's in a bad spot. he's very skilled, but he's metally fragile. he worries about doing something wrong and being sent to the bench.

IMO, he's like JJ and Hunter. JJ's game was hurting for a long while playing behind Penny. he worried about doing something wrong, and being sent to the bench....therefore, he made mistakes and didnt always play up to potential.

and just like hunter. earlier this season, hunter worried about doing something stupid on the floor, and therefore he did. given the confidence from his coach and peers, hunter has turned out to be something.

BUT....i dont think Kwame will be able to become a sun.
1.) he's an RFA. anything we offer him (the MLE) can and probably will be matched by some other team.
2.) Kwame turned down a 4 year $30 mil offer from the Wizards last offseason. the MLE would definately be a step down.
3.) the Wizards arent going to let this guy go for nothing. chances are (because it would benefit both the wiz and kwame) they will find a suiter for a S&T. their are plenty of teams willing to give up some talent for this guy and take the risk. the suns arent one of those teams if it takes giving up one of our starters.

the other possibility is that he re-signs with the wiz for the qualifiying offer ($7mil) and becomes an UFA next season (much like Swift did with the Grizz)

Last edited:

asudevil83

Reaction score
mkapp said:
What about Bonzi Wells? Too much money probably, but if JJ leaves

if we are talking about additions that would hurt the chemistry of this team, this Bonzi is one of the last guys i'd ever consider.

he was a solid 17/6/3 guy with portland before being traded. portland was pretty deperate to get rid of him. he was traded for westley person and the #23 pick in the 2004 draft.

what does that say abou the guy?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's get Bonzi, Kwame, Spree and Cassell. Who cares about chemistry, let's put together a team that can win. Whatever we do, its GOT to be an improvement over what we've got now.

Let the T-Wolves blaze the way. Follow McHale to the light. . .and all that.

:sarcasm: Just in case you didn't get it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bonzi Wells would be another player to avoid. This guy has alienated two front offices now, and only one of them was the Jail Blazers. The proper response to those who defend him is plugging your ears and saying "na na na na na na na na na ..."

Suns need to resign JJ, Hunter and give Amare a new contract. They need to draft a good player and sign him. If there's a drop of money left (impossible to imagine such a scenario), I'd look for a Brevin Knight or an Earl Boykins for a cheap reserve who can bring some real benefit to the bench.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
BUT....i dont think Kwame will be able to become a sun.
1.) he's an RFA. anything we offer him (the MLE) can and probably will be matched by some other team.

If he signs an offer sheet with us, which I agree is unlikely, then the Wizards are the only team that can match. Of course, I am sure that Kwame would have interest in coming to the Suns -- every player seems to. Not only would expectations be half of anywhere else, he wouldn't be depended upon while being in a winning environment.

I would not be surprised to see the Wizards let him walk after this. In other words, if for some reason the Suns signed him to an offer sheet I would say there is an 80% chance he would be ours (assuming it is for the MLE).

I for one would much rather resign Hunter, and possibly fill in some gaps with low level role players.

asudevil83

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
If he signs an offer sheet with us, which I agree is unlikely, then the Wizards are the only team that can match. Of course, I am sure that Kwame would have interest in coming to the Suns -- every player seems to. Not only would expectations be half of anywhere else, he wouldn't be depended upon while being in a winning environment.

I would not be surprised to see the Wizards let him walk after this. In other words, if for some reason the Suns signed him to an offer sheet I would say there is an 80% chance he would be ours (assuming it is for the MLE).

I for one would much rather resign Hunter, and possibly fill in some gaps with low level role players.

what i meant was that any other team could offer him the same amount, so he'd be free to go anywhere he wants.

as far as hunter goes, it looks as though he might exercise his player option for next season. this would give us his early bird rights, and the ability to resign him for the average nba salary (this year $3.9 or $4.9mil i think) even if it takes us over the cap. it also wouldnt be using up our MLE.

i for one would like to see Kwame on this team. even though its HIGHLY unlikely. a rotation of Amare/Kwame/Hunter at the C and Amare/Kwame/maybe Warrick at the PF would be fun. chances are though that if anything Kwame will either be matched by the Wiz, signed by some other team for more than the MLE, or S&Ted out of there.

i'd give our chances of getting the guy to be less than 5%.

Last edited:

Kolo

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Kwame Brown has "Low level role player" tattooed on his forehead. :D

I bet that won't stop Isaiah Thomas from giving him 6 years and $40 million.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
K Brown is the kind of guy who will get a lot of money because Hunter proved that even the worst reject could turn into a very useful player.

I'm not sure KB could possibly be cheap enough to make it worth the Suns while to bother with.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Kwame is a RESTRICTED free agent. At this point I wouldn't want to waste a draft pick or player on him. Unless they take Bo Outlaw for him straight up! :D

Reaction score
I bet he still gets a decent offer. He's still a very enticing player. If ever there was a player that might blossom from a scenery change it's him. He still has all the potential that made him a number one pick. And he's had big games, so owners have seem him display his potential on court. At 22 tall, big, and athletic, he's still an attractive prospect. Just not worth the risk for the Suns. But he could be awesome in this system. :)

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
as far as hunter goes, it looks as though he might exercise his player option for next season. this would give us his early bird rights, and the ability to resign him for the average nba salary (this year $3.9 or $4.9mil i think) even if it takes us over the cap. it also wouldnt be using up our MLE.

I don't follow on why Hunter would exercise his option. His option is for a minimum or near minimum deal. By not exercising it, I am pretty confident he would get near the full MLE this summer based on his play so far. Especially if he keeps it up in the playoffs.

It would definitely be better for the Suns if he exercised the option though.

The only scenario where I can see it makes sense for Hunter is if he really wants to remain on the Suns, but the Suns don't feel he is worth the MLE yet - and want Hunter to improve upon this season next year. That or he becomes the ultimate team player, and see that the team needs to use the MLE on someone else -- so he makes an under the table deal of sorts where he would get taken care of next summer.....

asudevil83

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I don't follow on why Hunter would exercise his option. His option is for a minimum or near minimum deal. By not exercising it, I am pretty confident he would get near the full MLE this summer based on his play so far. Especially if he keeps it up in the playoffs.

The only scenario where I can see it makes sense for Hunter is if he really wants to remain on the Suns, but the Suns don't feel he is worth the MLE yet - and want Hunter to improve upon this season next year. That or he becomes the ultimate team player, and see that the team needs to use the MLE on someone else -- so he makes an under the table deal of sorts where he would get taken care of next summer.....

Jerry: Hey i was a fan of yours when you were in orlando. I thought you were a great shot blocker and was really excited when you came to the suns. My question is do you see yourself staying here a long time or testing the market when that time comes?? Im hoping you want to stay
You must be registered for see images

Steven Hunter: I definitely want to stay for awhile. I have a player option for my contract next year and I want to be here next year.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/chat_hunter_050422.html

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score

I think you're a bit confused - if Hunter exercises his option, he'll be a free agent. If he doesn't exercise his option, he'll be under contract next year. So it's BAD for the Suns if he exercises his option...

asudevil83

Reaction score
scoutmasterdave said:
I think you're a bit confused - if Hunter exercises his option, he'll be a free agent. If he doesn't exercise his option, he'll be under contract next year. So it's BAD for the Suns if he exercises his option...

ex·er·cise
([font=verdana,sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (
k
s
r-s
z
)
n.
  1. An act of employing or putting into play; use: the free exercise of intellect; the exercise of an option.
if he exercises his option, he will be electing to play for us next year.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
scoutmasterdave said:

I am pretty sure you have it backwards. Options in the NBA are typically to pick up more guaranteed years, not early termination options.

I guess Hunter could have an early termination option, although that would be VERY unusual.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
Jerry: Hey i was a fan of yours when you were in orlando. I thought you were a great shot blocker and was really excited when you came to the suns. My question is do you see yourself staying here a long time or testing the market when that time comes?? Im hoping you want to stay

Steven Hunter: I definitely want to stay for awhile. I have a player option for my contract next year and I want to be here next year.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/chat_hunter_050422.html

Interesting. I don't think that means he is definitely exercising the option though. More or less it goes along with what I said earlier -- Hunter will probably try to get a bigger, long term deal from the Suns. If he can't secure one, then he will exercise his option in an effort to convince the Suns he is worth the money.

Good news though, thanks for the quote.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I expect the Suns will try to work out an extension for Hunter. In any case, he's unlikely to get full MLE offer. He is not a dominant rebounder, has limited offensive skills, and did very little on a half court team. I do like his long range potential, but teams don't go for a ful MLE unless they expect to get a starter.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
I am pretty sure you have it backwards. Options in the NBA are typically to pick up more guaranteed years, not early termination options.

I guess Hunter could have an early termination option, although that would be VERY unusual.

You're right - I had it backwards. I had confused it with the early termination option.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I do like his long range potential, but teams don't go for a ful MLE unless they expect to get a starter.

Tell that to Mil. (who offered the MLE to blount), or Boston (who matched it), or Washington (who signed Thomas) or GS (who signed Foyle).

History proves that a big man that shows promise will get near the MLE. Of course, the MLE could be vastly different this summer -- and Hunter genuinely sounds like he wants to stay so maybe we get a discount.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05