Kyler, RD. 1

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:shrug: People are going to see what they want to see, I guess. I mean, those are the facts, right?

I was hoping to see more than one drive, TBH. That's not his fault. There isn't enough evidence to judge ANYTHING.

I was actually surprised to see Murray get as many snaps as he did last night. Personally I thought that they would only let him hand the ball off and maybe actually throw the ball once and then yank him. So I was excited to see him as much as we did.

Still from the very limited plays that we saw from him I came away impressed with his poise and command of the offense. I loved how quick the ball came out of his hand and got to the receiver. I thought he was very accurate even when he was on the move. Yes it is a very small sample size but it's all we that have right now.

So for Murray RD1 I would say he didn't do anything that had me going OH NO here we go again. Quite the opposite actually. I saw a rookie QB who looked like he belonged out there.

To me that is a good start. Does that mean we are winning 10 games this year? NO! But it's better than Murray looking inconsistent and falling flat on his face in his first game action. It is what it is I guess.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Brees is two inches taller (maybe more) and has never had the athletic ability to move out of the pocket or move around like Kyler. There's no sudden stripping of an athletic talent he can so instinctually use.

Yes, throwing lanes and seams exist. I'm not saying that it's impossible for Kyler to succeed in that environment, just that I would bet on it being a major struggle. For every "Drew Brees/Russell Wilson can do it" argument, there's a Seneca Wallace or Case Keenum who couldn't.

Yes, but seriously you have seen enough in that small sample to be made evident that Wallace or Keenum lack his arm strength and most importantly his accuracy :)

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
In this world my friend you would be labeled a pessimist. You can’t worry about the what ifs. What if he doesn’t get hurt? What if any qb injures his thumb on his throwing hand?

One never makes a successful cavalry charge stopping half ways going, "what about Bob" lol

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
My caution with Murray is him thinking he can play hero ball and last night he seemed more like a vet and took what the defense gave him for what the coach wanted him to do. Not one scramble for yards. Now, this can all change with a crap OL by game five but that was impressive for the character needed at this point but what everybody is wanting him to exhibit

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an important question that needs to be investigated.

People are drawing a lot of conclusions from a 10-play drive that averaged... 4.3 YPP and ended with a punt on the Cards 35 yard line. :rolleyes:

True. Two holding penalties and a complete whiff on a block by Humphries that created a sack on 3rd down is tough to overcome.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was actually surprised to see Murray get as many snaps as he did last night. Personally I thought that they would only let him hand the ball off and maybe actually throw the ball once and then yank him. So I was excited to see him as much as we did.

Still from the very limited plays that we saw from him I came away impressed with his poise and command of the offense. I loved how quick the ball came out of his hand and got to the receiver. I thought he was very accurate even when he was on the move. Yes it is a very small sample size but it's all we that have right now.

So for Murray RD1 I would say he didn't do anything that had me going OH NO here we go again. Quite the opposite actually. I saw a rookie QB who looked like he belonged out there.

To me that is a good start. Does that mean we are winning 10 games this year? NO! But it's better than Murray looking inconsistent and falling flat on his face in his first game action. It is what it is I guess.
I figured he wouldonly get one drive and play the full drive. Unless you throw a pick 6 on 1st down then maybe you get two drives.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jetstream Green

Reaction score

I have never seen a QB put into even a preseason game and hand the ball off once and just throw one pass and then be yanked on third down or the next first

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
K1 was everything that I expected. I watched enough of him last year at OU to not be surprised. My fear is that our OL will make it difficult for KK to fully implement his offense. Also, I've had concerns about VJ from day 1 & our DL may be worse than our OL. It's very early, so I'll give the D the benefit of the doubt. God help us if teams can run on us like the Chargers did last night. Otherwise, our offense won't be on the field long enough to make a difference.
It seems to me that the DL'men get too wide, spaced too far apart from one another, leaving wide running lanes. Plus all the missed tackles last night, several times our defense had a guy for a loss only to not complete the tackle. Like you said it's early still, but many Dolphins fans complained about that very thing while he was there as the DC. Maybe he didn't have a good enough DL? Not familiar with the Dolphins, especially 4-5 yrs ago. If he did have a good DL, then there's a problem? They complained about getting gashed in the running game, week in & week out. He had plenty of time to correct the problem week to week when he was there. I hope it was just a personnel thing? Broncos fans complained about it also but I'm not sure if VJ was calling the plays on defense in Denver or not?

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I know a few here think we need a visit from Captain Check Yourself but frankly as a fan, Murray checked all my boxes already from what I wanted from him in his first preseason game. There's another scenario of contemplation which now makes me glad we drafted him so far... can you imagine if we took that currently injury prone Bosa guy and saw Murray perform like he just did for another team albeit it's preseason, yup :)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not counting Larry, I can see Kirk-KeeSean-Trent being our best WRs. I don’t think Andy will be ready until next year & same goes for Hakeem. Maybe even longer for him.
Don’t write off Issabella yet. KK wanted him and I’m sure he has a plan to utilize him.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Murray scored an "A" on his first test. Well.. calling that a test is a bit of a stretch. More like a quiz.

One thing last night I thought was funny, on the play when he evaded the rush and threw to Johnson.

In college, the pursuing interior lineman wouldn't have even been in the picture frame, and the DE would have fell behind quickly. Not the case last night.

No more easy mode for K1.

However, i bet he'll look faster in the third and fourth quarter of games, after the defense has played 50 or 60 snaps.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Not counting Larry, I can see Kirk-KeeSean-Trent being our best WRs. I don’t think Andy will be ready until next year & same goes for Hakeem. Maybe even longer for him.

I am hoping Byrd is able to show something as a deep threat with his speed because so far 'body catch' Andy and 'no concentration' Butler are just variances of a JJ Nelson prototype

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No conclusions — just what I noticed from the first offensive drive:

• Coach Kliff shouldn’t play David Johnson in preseason if he’s gonna give effort like that.
  • Coach and Murray didn’t give his arm much of a workout. Every NFL QB — including Ryan Lindley— can throw a 7 yard out. The 12 to 15 yard out of the real big boy NFL throw.
  • The cards are going to run a bunch of RPOs. Murray looks extremely comfortable running the sprint out on the middle zone. We’re gonna test the discipline of a bunch of NFL ILBs.
  • Our OL splits are the widest I’ve seen from and NFL line.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
FWIW I was I on the build around Josh bandwagon ... and not to be hyperbolic, but I can’t think of a single series last year where Josh looked as sharp as Kyler did, preseason included.

I feel like we’re in for the start of something special.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't.

Some people just dont get it. Did you notice how Murray reacted to the sack? He went down WITHOUT taking a big hit. Palmer would've gotten nailed.

It's funny, but as big and strong as Palmer was, I worried every time he got hit.
Bigger guys represent bigger targets and loosey-goosey builds that can twist an ankle. sprain or splinter a femur in the blink of an eye.

Smaller more compact guys are more likely to "bounce."

Murray is small and compact. Here's to small.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Bigger guys represent bigger targets and loosey-goosey builds that can twist an ankle. sprain or splinter a femur in the blink of an eye.

Smaller more compact guys are more likely to "bounce."

Murray is small and compact. Here's to small.

Murray is built like a RB.

Anyone who has been around him says that the way he looks on film vs the way he looks in person is different. Hes well built and strong.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. If you think he answered most questions last night, how quickly did you sign off on Matt Leinart?

He hasn't even thrown a regular season pass yet. Chill.

The only reason we're having this argument is because someone claimed I was now "on his side," and I'm just trying to give some credit for a decent performance, but acting like we already have the second coming on our hands is just so incredibly naive.
When you answer the knock on your door, and you open it to find there's a tiger standing there...you don't need a marketing plan to know you're in immediate danger and should get out of there now.

While one series by Murray isn't exactly a marketing plan, he does give you the impression he has a "live" accurate arm and is cool in game situations. He hasn't won anything yet, but things are looking pretty promising.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
When you answer the knock on your door, and you open it to find there's a tiger standing there...you don't need a marketing plan to know you're in immediate danger and should get out of there now.

While one series by Murray isn't exactly a marketing plan, he does give you the impression he has a "live" accurate arm and is cool in game situations. He hasn't won anything yet, but things are looking pretty promising.
Promising. Sure. Fine. It's why I made this thread.

The dude has "answered" nothing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No conclusions — just what I noticed from the first offensive drive:

• Coach Kliff shouldn’t play David Johnson in preseason if he’s gonna give effort like that.
right? I thought the same thing. I really hope that dude hasn't just completely lost it. he hasn't looked ANYTHING like the guy he was his first two seasons for three seasons now. which, probably answers my question.