Lakers @ Suns game thread

sunsfn

Reaction score
LA Lakers (40-36) at Phoenix (49-25)

The Phoenix Suns still should be able to grab the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference despite their recent poor play. That might mean the Los Angeles Lakers wouldn't mind getting the No. 7 seed.
One team against which the Suns would prefer not to show how vulnerable they are is the Lakers, considering Phoenix has dominated its Pacific Division rival recently and these teams could meet in the first round of the playoffs.
If the season ended now, the clubs would open the playoffs against each other.

Phoenix has a five-game division lead over the second-place Los Angeles Clippers with eight games remaining, and is likely to claim the West's second seed if it holds on to win the Pacific. That would mean the Suns' opening-round opponent would be the seventh seed, a spot currently held by the Lakers, who are one game ahead of eighth-place Sacramento.
You must be registered for see images
The Suns have lost four of six -- three of those defeats coming by 14 points or more -- and are 7-8 since their season-best 11-game winning streak.
"If you're making an educated guess, I'd write us off," Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said. "I'd even be trying to get into seventh place to play us right now.
"But I think people are going to be surprised, and you'd probably better be careful what you wish for."
The Suns might be wishing they play the Lakers in the first round, even though Los Angeles is playing some of its best basketball of the season and has won six of eight.
Phoenix has won six straight in the series, including the last four by double digits. Plus, Los Angeles is not considered to be a strong team on the interior. The frontcourt is also the Suns' weakness, with Amare Stoudemire (knee) out for the season and Kurt Thomas (foot) not expected to return this month.
"Regardless of what schemes we have and what things we do, we're still going to be undersized," Suns forward James Jones said. "I mean, you can't get away from that. So if teams really hammer down and try to exploit that, we have to give a little bit more energy and get up and down the floor to neutralize their size."
Phoenix's strategy against the Lakers this season has been to contain everyone besides Kobe Bryant, and it's worked. Bryant had 39 points in the first meeting and 37 in the second, but no other Lakers player scored more than 17 in the two games and the Suns simply outscored Los Angeles, averaging 114 points.
Bryant scored 42 on Thursday, but Los Angeles lost 110-108 to Denver when Carmelo Anthony hit a jumper with 3.8 seconds left in overtime.
Bryant could not get open during the Lakers' last play, and Luke Walton missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer. Bryant left the court dejected, shrugging his shoulders in frustration at not getting the ball.
"I wanted the shot," Bryant said. "I always want the ball in my hands. They had me covered. I wish I could have gotten a better screen on the play. But Luke had a good look in the corner."
It was the third straight game and fifth time in eight games Bryant has scored more than 40 points. He tops the NBA with 35.0 per contest.
------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully the suns find their energy for tonights game.
I thought they all looked tired in the Clippers game.

They usually play well after a loss, so looking forward to them playing hard and getting a win tonight!

jibikao

Reaction score
Lakers came here with another Overtime game. Nice.

keric

Reaction score
Looking at the "bigger picture", I really don't mind losing to the Lakers tonight. (That is if you agree that we match up better with them in the first round series rather than the Kings)

Given the fact that the Lakers are only one game up on the KIngs with about ten games left, and we seem to have the #2 spot all but locked up.
A loss might actually be better for us in the long run?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
keric said:
Looking at the "bigger picture", I really don't mind losing to the Lakers tonight. (That is if you agree that we match up better with them in the first round series rather than the Kings)

Given the fact that the Lakers are only one game up on the KIngs with about ten games left, and we seem to have the #2 spot all but locked up.
A loss might actually be better for us in the long run?

No no no no no no no, absolutely not.

It may solidify the Lakers, but we need wins to raise our confidence level, which is at its lowest point right now. It's not going to do any good if we have a losing mentality going into the playoffs.

jibikao

Reaction score
It's not time to "rest" yet. We've gotta beat the Lakers.

PS: I am watching the game now. Did you guys see how Nash penetrated in from left and he basically threw himself in the air and pass it out? I DO NOT LIKE THAT MOVE at all. That move looks like it took a lot of energy and potential some injuries. While it's great to create an open look, I think that move is too dangerous. I've seen him done it a few times.

jibikao

Reaction score
Where is everybody?

Kobe is certainly hot. But it's ok. We've gotta beat them as the team.

Diaw looks tired?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
If the Suns are hitting their shots, they won't get beat, regardless of what Kobe and "friends" do.

jibikao

Reaction score
Can coach D put TT on the bench? PLEASE. I am begging.

PS: I have to say I am a bit disappointed so far. We still don't look like we have the fire in us. We may win this one but we are not there yet. Not like how Mavs and Spurs battled it out.

jibikao

Reaction score
What a great way to start 2nd half, AS USUAL.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
We stop driving. Then we start relying on long jumpshots and then the other team goes on a run. Why doesn't this team ever learn?

jibikao

Reaction score
Marion looks great tonight!

Nash remembers today is on ESPN with that fancy Lakers' ball pass on 3v2.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
sly fly said:
No more Tim Thomas. Please. Just go away.

No kidding. Can't defend, can't shoot, can't pass, can't hold onto the ball, can't get a board and he still gets playing time?

jibikao

Reaction score
Tim Thomas has displayed the EXACT reason why our defense has been looking so great:

1.) When Lamar drives (who isn't very fast to begin with), TT gave him a high-five, thank you for driving by.

2.) When a shot missed, Eddie who was not close to the ball reacted to the rebound while TT was still looking at the basket boxing out NOBODY.

3.) When we need the last shot in the 3rd quarter, open shot from TT = air ball.

jibikao

Reaction score
I've said it for the past 2 games.... we NEED to see something from Burke/Grant. I DO NOT CARE if they suck because obviously TT isn't any better.

What happened to Marion? His defense is slow, he runs slow and he is not going inside for rebound when we miss. Then when he shoots, it's airball...

jibikao

Reaction score
How can we rest Nash when the rest play like that?

jibikao

Reaction score
Interesting how we can defend Lamar when TT sits down?

jibikao

Reaction score
Marion has come alive a bit. More aggressive. Was he sick?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tim Thomas has been playing like crap and so has House.......he finally hit a shot, but he just keeps shooting.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
Tim Thomas has been playing like crap and so has House.......he finally hit a shot, but he just keeps shooting.
lol, I hate it when I rip someone and then they immediately get hot. Seriously I do hate it.

jibikao

Reaction score
Finally Kobe is missing shots. Kobe was absolutely on fire in the first 3Q. Now Lakers has almost no offense.

House, keep it up!!!

Diaw is displaying his value on national TV again.

jibikao

Reaction score
Wow, what happened to Nash? He can't even dribble the ball??? Is he alright?