Lakers @ Suns Thursday game thread, October 17th, 2024: Preseason

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game was filled with Laker fans. Sounded like a lot of them. They were audibly gasping each time Bronny touched the ball. At the game it sure like KD blocked Bronny. It appeared like he was "above" Bronny and actually having to lower his arm down to block him. Replay angles almost couldn't catch what it looked like live.

The starters looked good. Looks like they are serious of high thirties low forties on three attempts per game. They are working the threes into the flow of the game so it doesn't look like they are just shooting from three just to get the numbers up. There were a couple times you can see, especially from above, that guys in the paint only had to turn around when they had the ball down low to lay it up, or possibly dunk. They tended to throw it back out to the three point line on these deep catches in the paint. Perhaps there's just a little too much passing. Both PGs seem to be better three point shooters than pundits say.

Defense looked like our PGs ended up behind or on the hips of opposing guards quite a bit. The team helped on D well. Finally glad to see we are not sending our Centers out to guard the three point line, but rather try and slow down guys racing to the rim on us. Seems like we drop our centers a bit more. I know announcers stress this on Oso, but you can see Nurk and Plumlee doing it too.

I think this team will be much more watchable. After watching a hot AD exploit us, perhaps our trade should be for a strong defensive big?

Yes, it sounded like the crowd was full of Lakers fans.

The Suns are blessed to have two point guards that are good three point shooters, three if one counts Collin Gillespie who is on a two-way contract.

Anthony Davis made the Suns look small, though. This remains a concern going forward. AD was also 4-9 from three.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was there too. Lakers fans got quiet for most of the game after we took the lead and then got loud again at the end. I let them know and yelled out that the game doesn't count.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, it sounded like the crowd was full of Lakers fans.

The Suns are blessed to have two point guards that are good three point shooters, three if one counts Collin Gillespie who is on a two-way contract.

Anthony Davis made the Suns look small, though. This remains a concern going forward. AD was also 4-9 from three.

It's preseason, I would bet that 90% of the season ticket holders were trying to give this game away. Meanwhile, if you're a Laker fan, you can get into this game for 10 bucks, but trying to buy into a regular season game here will run well over 10 times that, in the back row.

Unfortunately, I think a fair amount of the Suns tickets are bought up by scalpers and corporate seats who give them to visiting clients, but, in the regular season, I don't think the "away" fans account for more than 15 percent or so... unless we're really on the suck.

I think Pistons and Bulls fans invade more than anyone else, a lot of people live here from those cities. My brother in law is a huge Bulls fan and I've taken him each time I've gotten that game. But... he typically is fine with the Bulls losing because they're in a similar state to the Suns for much of the 2010s, such a dark place that a total overhaul feels needed.

Seriously though, it's wild how much geography impacts secondary sales. Some team like... the Grizzlies or the Wolves, can be having a monster season, and the resale value of those tickets are rather low, but the Pistons can be 15-40 and the tickets will run way over face value.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's preseason, I would bet that 90% of the season ticket holders were trying to give this game away. Meanwhile, if you're a Laker fan, you can get into this game for 10 bucks, but trying to buy into a regular season game here will run well over 10 times that, in the back row.

Unfortunately, I think a fair amount of the Suns tickets are bought up by scalpers and corporate seats who give them to visiting clients, but, in the regular season, I don't think the "away" fans account for more than 15 percent or so... unless we're really on the suck.

I think Pistons and Bulls fans invade more than anyone else, a lot of people live here from those cities. My brother in law is a huge Bulls fan and I've taken him each time I've gotten that game. But... he typically is fine with the Bulls losing because they're in a similar state to the Suns for much of the 2010s, such a dark place that a total overhaul feels needed.

Seriously though, it's wild how much geography impacts secondary sales. Some team like... the Grizzlies or the Wolves, can be having a monster season, and the resale value of those tickets are rather low, but the Pistons can be 15-40 and the tickets will run way over face value.
Surprised on the Detroit comments. Huge population in the valley from the Chicago area even back in the 90s.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Yes! The tickets are literally triple in price for the Laker game a couple weeks later. I wanted to see KD and the rookies. So it worked for us.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing this scrimmage at GCU I’m watching isn’t live.

You must be watching it live from Mullett Arena. I see Frank Kaminsky is still around.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Surprised on the Detroit comments. Huge population in the valley from the Chicago area even back in the 90s.
Chicagoans started moving here in the seventies. Now, I meet younger people 20's to 40's from Detroit. Seems like the Detroit pipeline is real more recently. I am assuming since how house and rents are high, Detroiters that move here for jobs, reach out to family and friends to move out here to share expenses and come work. We have a LOT of entry level jobs in Phoenix.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Twitter, Duane Rankin, Gerald Bourguet and Kellan Olson are reporting the scrimmage like it is live.

I'm glad Frank Kaminsky is still with the team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to love these open scrimmages. Very happy to see the Suns are doing more of this.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The scrimmage is over. It will be a meet and greet with the fans.

What a great gesture by the Suns organization.