Lakers trade Payton, Fox to Celtics

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Lakers trade Payton, Fox to Celtics

FOX Sports Net
Posted: 2 minutes ago

According to Fox Sports Net's Jack Haley of the Southern California Sports Report, the Lakers have traded Gary Payton and Rick Fox, both heading into the final years of their contracts, to the Celtics.

In return, the Lakers are believed to be getting Marcus Banks from Boston and may also get Chucky Atkins and Chris Mihm to complete the deal.
The Lakers have not confirmed the trade.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2645812

OP
OP
azdad1978

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Friday, August 6, 2004

ESPN.com news services
The Lakers, in need of a big man since trading Shaquille O'Neal to Miami last month, had to give up Gary Payton to get one.

An NBA source told ESPN.com's Bill Simmons that the Celtics have dealt Chris Mihm (in a sign-and-trade), guards Marcus Banks and Chucky Atkins and a future second-round pick to Los Angeles for Payton, Rick Fox and a lottery-protected first-round draft pick.

Boston also receives cash in the deal, ESPN.com has confirmed through a high-ranking Celtics source.

The Celtics have scheduled a 4 p.m. ET news conference to announce the trade.

Payton, who in June exercised his $5.4 million option to play with the team next year, struggled in his only season with the Lakers' triangle offense. He started all 104 games the team played -- 82 in the regular season and 22 in the playoffs -- but averaged 14.6 points, his lowest output since the 1992-93 season, and a career-low 4.2 assists in the regular season.

Information from ESPN Insider Chad Ford and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1853576

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Down to 1 future HOF'er I guess......

So who handles the point? Fisher is gone, and now they lost Payton. Is Banks the only pg right now?

my bad, didn't notice Atkins

BTW, good trade for the Celts I guess

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At first glance I would say this looks like a pretty decent trade for both teams.

Joe Mama

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
So Bill Simmons is breaking stories now? I guess he's David Aldridge's replacement. :lol:

This is a very nice trade for the Lakers. They filled all their needs and got a very nice young talent in Banks, and all it cost them was a couple of expiring contracts and a pick.

I guess Banks has already lost out to Delonte West as the Celtics' "PG of the future"; beyond that, though, Ainge must have felt that Payton was actually worth something to his team this year. Losing Atkins and Banks certainly won't put the Cs under the cap next year...

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
At first glance I would say this looks like a pretty decent trade for both teams.
Same here....

I was just surprised that they had to give away Marcus Bank
I wonder if they had to include him to make the deal or they just gave up on him (ala Joe Johnson)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe Mama

This may be just a salary dump and first round pick for the Celtics (Ainge really loves firsts doesn't he?). My guess is that Payton is going to be a lot better than Atkins at PG while Mihm was obviously not in the Celtic's plans. I can't really see what Rick Fox brings to the Celtics other than a one year contract, but who knows.

Atkins may be better suited to playing with Kobe than Payton. Clearly Gary was not effective last year but some of that may have been the offense. Banks has been a huge disappointment in Boston. I'm guessing that Mihm is the key from the Laker's perspective in that he gives them a low post offensive player. It looks like a good deal for the Lakers since they didn't give up anybody they wanted and may have picked up some depth.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
So Bill Simmons is breaking stories now? I guess he's David Aldridge's replacement. :lol:

Losing Atkins and Banks certainly won't put the Cs under the cap next year...

Simmons breathes Boston Celtics. Doesn't surprise me at all he got the story. He might be the only analyst who cares about them anymore.

Loosing Atkins and Banks will put them at about 46.7 million for 2005-2006. That will most likely be right over the cap, but I guess it could wind up being right under.

I think Simmons speculation that Davis could be the next to go is pretty accurate. It seems they want to clear space and playing time right now. Davis never fit well, and Welsch has already proven he can step in for him.

He has his problems, but he can score in bunches, and is on a reasonable deal. Someone may take him, especially in a pure salary dump. ATL anyone?

With another small move or two, the Celts could have 6-7 million in cap space.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Damn, one of the reasons I hated the Lakers was Rick "The Prick" Fox.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Who who handles the point? Fisher is gone, and now they lost Payton. Is Banks the only pg right now?

my bad, didn't notice Atkins

The Lakers also drafted Sasha Vujaik (sp?) this year, so I am thinking we see Atkins as starter and Sasha/Banks coming of the bench for significant minutes.

A-Bomb

GO LAKERS!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Payton would have struggled again this year on this new Lakers squad. He needs the ball in his hands and with Odom and Kobe as well as Vlade in the post, he wasn't going to get it. What they lose in offense (not much) they gain in defense as Banks is a terrific on-ball defender. Good trade for both teams.

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
Just as a side note to all this I really dont see Rick Fox going all the way to the East Coast to play ball when he's married to Vanessa Williams and they have been in the LA area for so long. I think he is going to retire or beg for a trade closer to home.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My3Suns said:
Just as a side note to all this I really dont see Rick Fox going all the way to the East Coast to play ball when he's married to Vanessa Williams and they have been in the LA area for so long. I think he is going to retire or beg for a trade closer to home.

He cannot be re-traded until mid December.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Marcus Banks is a bust. I was real high on him when he was drafted but he hasn't shown anything. He has no PG skills.

arizonaman

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oran said:
Damn, one of the reasons I hated the Lakers was Rick "The Prick" Fox.
Yup I couldn't agree with you more. My favorite part about him was how much he cared about his image. Man did I hate watching him play and he only furthered my hatred towards the "EX" champion lakers.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Rick Fox used to play for the lakers, so he probably has friends back there.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
You mean the Celtics right? I would have liked Mihm to come here that sucks he went to the Lakers.

sunsfn

Reaction score
sunsfn said:

Whoops..........yes, I meant the Celtics..... :oops:

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No doubt Boston got the best outta this one, I mean payton and fox >>> talent wise. plus they get a 1st rounder and cash! Whats not to like!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
NJYAJ09 said:
No doubt Boston got the best outta this one, I mean payton and fox >>> talent wise. plus they get a 1st rounder and cash! Whats not to like!

I think the trade works well for both teams. Gary Payton has lost a lot, but he is still much better than either of the point guards the Celtics gave up. He also has a chip on his shoulder. Oh yeah, the best part is that both Payton and fox have expiring contracts.

The Lakers got some size and a point guard in Hunter and may be better for them.

Joe Mama

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Hunter? You mean Atkins and I have trouble calling him a PG. He is a Tony Delk.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5626501/
According to this Kobe got Payton traded. Looks like the Lakers are bending over for Kobe.
That's not a good thing for the Lakers. Just look at the Nets and Jason Kidd.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Hunter? You mean Atkins and I have trouble calling him a PG. He is a Tony Delk.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5626501/
According to this Kobe got Payton traded. Looks like the Lakers are bending over for Kobe.
That's not a good thing for the Lakers. Just look at the Nets and Jason Kidd.
Don't believe everything you read. Ventre is an idiot. That article is nothing but pure speculation.

I also read that Kobe is really responsible for the Iraq War, global warming and Carrot Top.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The trade is official, right? I think this looks like pretty much a pure salary dump for the Celtics, since Payton and Fox are both threats to retire. Maybe Ainge figures that, if one retires, he can move him for a comparably priced player on a longer deal.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
elindholm said:
The trade is official, right? I think this looks like pretty much a pure salary dump for the Celtics, since Payton and Fox are both threats to retire. Maybe Ainge figures that, if one retires, he can move him for a comparably priced player on a longer deal.

My guess is that it's partly a salary dump (Atkins) and partly an effort to keep Paul Pierce happy while the team is rebuilding. With Payton and a healthy LaFrentz, the Celtics should be able to make the playoffs this year; they seem to consider that to be important, for some reason. :p