Lakers would be better off with Gortat

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not saying Marcin is a better player than Howard, I'm saying with the recent addition of D'antoni, Nash, and considering Gortat's familiarity with Gentry's/D'antoni's score fast system...

Plus Gortat can make his free throws in the fourth, eliminating the hack a Howard the Lakers will be seeing in important close games this year. It would get the Lakers closer to a ring this year, because Marcin is a better fit IMO. I doubt they move Howard, eventhough I would. He's a great center and all. I heard they are shopping Gasol, but I would keep him with Kobe, Nash, Gortat, and who-evs.

Dwight can help on defense, because we all know how D'antoni rolls, so I could see why they would keep him but the Hack a Howard will piss the new coach off. Didn't he used to bench Shaq when that happened?

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying Marcin is a better player than Howard, I'm saying with the recent addition of D'antoni, Nash, and considering Gortat's familiarity with Gentry's/D'antoni's score fast system...

Plus Gortat can make his free throws in the fourth, eliminating the hack a Howard the Lakers will be seeing in important close games this year. It would get the Lakers closer to a ring this year, because Marcin is a better fit IMO. I doubt they move Howard, eventhough I would. He's a great center and all. I heard they are shopping Gasol, but I would keep him with Kobe, Nash, Gortat, and who-evs.

Dwight can help on defense, because we all know how D'antoni rolls, so I could see why they would keep him but the Hack a Howard will piss the new coach off. Didn't he used to bench Shaq when that happened?

I applaud you for coming up with a really hilarious idea for a joke, but I think your delivery could use some work.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
maybe raja still has some in the tank since mwp can't shoot

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't believe that Steve Nash is ever going to be the 36-minute-per-game- stamina/start-to-finish-Point-Guard the Lakers were hoping for in their quest to be THE best team in the league during the season and through the playoffs.

Hell, he wasn't that in the Suns quest just trying to succeed in the playoffs for the past few years.

So it makes desertdawg's point about a Center like Gortat fitting the D'Antoni/Nash system better than the best Center in the league a moot point.

If Nash were in his prime, a blue-collar role-playing Center like Marcin might very well fit this Lakers team better and not stifle Gasol or compete with Kobe (who could not get along with the previous best Center in the league).

I see the point desertdawg is driving at. Sometimes, too many stars on a team detract from its potential. It remains to be seen if D'Antoni has developed the coaching skill to make it work any better than his past performance.

I predict the Lakers will put on a show but, in the end, will not be THE best.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, assuming that his health concerns are or soon will be a thing of the past, no way is Gortat better for the Lakers. Gortat has had short stretches where he's played like one of the top 5 centers but then he slips in a couple of stinkers and plays like he's the 20th best at his position. When healthy, the gap between Howard and the 2nd best center is huge and even with his FT struggles he's too good to replace with an up and down Gortat. Dantoni won't have any problem finding ways to incorporate Howard into his offense.

Steve

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I guess we will just have to wait and see how Howard gels with Kobe, D'antoni, Nash, and the way defenses will play him as a Laker.

When he played for Orlando he was the best scoring option, so teams didn't hack him when the other Magic members had the ball. They would wait until Howard had possesion, then send him to the line before he could get a shot off.

The Lakers are a different story, they will foul Howard as soon as the ball is inbounded to prevent Kobe's shot or Nash getting a nice play going when the game gets tight.

There's no way to tell how Gortat would favor in LA, but I don't see him having the same problems Howard will in LA. I think Kobe will be the first one vocally calling him out too, and as soon as he gets benched during crunchtime....Dwight Howard will wax his negativity poetically infront of the postgame cameras. You heard it here first, Howard will struggle big time in D'antoni's offense. Book it.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I wouldn't be too shocked to see the league alter the rules for intentional fouls - it will suddenly dawn on them that its too detrimental to flow of the game or poor sportsmanship should it look like it will be a real stumbling block for the Lakers. As we all know whats good for the Lakers is good for the league.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too shocked to see the league alter the rules for intentional fouls - it will suddenly dawn on them that its too detrimental to flow of the game or poor sportsmanship should it look like it will be a real stumbling block for the Lakers. As we all know whats good for the Lakers is good for the league.

I think I'll copyright "three to make two" just in case it makes a comeback. It does disrupt the flow of the game but a professional player ought to be able to make them pay. I don't buy the big hands excuse, master your craft. Most of these big men that use that "hands" excuse have poor form or inconsistent form and all of them have hitches in their routines.

Steve

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And I aint just talking about Howard's freethrows in this. Gortat is really good with Nash, and no where near a free throw liability. The Machine knows how to get down court fast, set that pick around the 3 point line. When teams react to that, Kobe isn't going to have to run around Reggie Miller style to get a clean look jump shot off. Gortat is already in "Suns/D'antoni shape", he can run for days. How are Howard's wheels? I've never looked up his injury past but it takes a lot to run and gun all year long, most centers have a rough time.

Also, Marcin wouldn't be ask to go 25/15 a game with Gasol and the rest of the mix in there. He would compilment them well. Don't get me started about the money, I know Dwight Howard is the superior player but between his free throws, what the Lakers need from the center position, and that salary...I'm drinking the Polish beer all day.

I'm the guy who started the "We finally have a center" thread that was bumping hard for a while. I don't want to trade him at all, but damn he plays good with Nash. Kobe would live a lot easier while the pick and roll was going down Phx style, Nash knows how to dish it better than anyone.

Can Howard run up and down the court all year long D'antoni style while getting mugged and disrespected for his free throws? I think of it this way, nope. Yall can call me crazy, high, Mr Mucho Poster, but Howard is gonna struggle dot com.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I aint just talking about Howard's freethrows in this. Gortat is really good with Nash, and no where near a free throw liability. The Machine knows how to get down court fast, set that pick around the 3 point line. When teams react to that, Kobe isn't going to have to run around Reggie Miller style to get a clean look jump shot off. Gortat is already in "Suns/D'antoni shape", he can run for days. How are Howard's wheels? I've never looked up his injury past but it takes a lot to run and gun all year long, most centers have a rough time.

Also, Marcin wouldn't be ask to go 25/15 a game with Gasol and the rest of the mix in there. He would compilment them well. Don't get me started about the money, I know Dwight Howard is the superior player but between his free throws, what the Lakers need from the center position, and that salary...I'm drinking the Polish beer all day.

I'm the guy who started the "We finally have a center" thread that was bumping hard for a while. I don't want to trade him at all, but damn he plays good with Nash. Kobe would live a lot easier while the pick and roll was going down Phx style, Nash knows how to dish it better than anyone.

Can Howard run up and down the court all year long D'antoni style while getting mugged and disrespected for his free throws? I think of it this way, nope. Yall can call me crazy, high, Mr Mucho Poster, but Howard is gonna struggle dot com.

I say you're crazy, high, a mr mucho poster and it has nothing to do with Howard struggling. :) I understand your point but I think you're missing one big thing, this is not the Nash show. Go back a few years and maybe you're right but Nash will never have the kind of impact on this Lakers team that he had in Phoenix, IMO. Also, Howard (healthy) is faster than Gortat and has better hands. There's no reason they couldn't be a much better pick and roll combo than Nash/Gortat was. I guess we'll sort of see.

Steve

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I say you're crazy, high, a mr mucho poster and it has nothing to do with Howard struggling. :) I understand your point but I think you're missing one big thing, this is not the Nash show. Go back a few years and maybe you're right but Nash will never have the kind of impact on this Lakers team that he had in Phoenix, IMO. Also, Howard (healthy) is faster than Gortat and has better hands. There's no reason they couldn't be a much better pick and roll combo than Nash/Gortat was. I guess we'll sort of see.

Steve
Totally agree, Nash will never be the main show in LA and nor should he be. I think he is there to be a sideshow to relieve Kobe (so he can ball like he could a couple years ago), and I think the Lakers can do it better with a run and gun style center that can nail free throws. I think Kobe will turn on Howard, and the only Nash show will be him playing Canada (him picking no sides :D) and trying to bring the team together. Howard is going to command/get too much attention with the arrival of D'antoni, and it won't be in a good way. I think they could hang with the Meat if they fix it early in the season. Howard's got game, but he needs a triangle style with another head honcho on the floor via point gaurd probably. That aint happening in Smell A. :)

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Screw the Lakers!!!!
Soft spot with Nash on the squad now, can't help it bro. :( I know we aint getting the ring, and I like Durant too but I'm looking for that team that will knock baby Bron Bron off his high horse. Keep the hate alive!!! :p

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Soft spot with Nash on the squad now, can't help it bro. :( I know we aint getting the ring, and I like Durant too but I'm looking for that team that will knock baby Bron Bron off his high horse. Keep the hate alive!!! :p

Screw you too! :D

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Youtube any Nash free throw, finger lickin good NBA leading free throws. You probably already know this. Just messin with the hippies. :D

I'm just messing with the fair weather fan who is now sucking the Laker ****!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't believe that Steve Nash is ever going to be the 36-minute-per-game- stamina/start-to-finish-Point-Guard the Lakers were hoping for in their quest to be THE best team in the league during the season and through the playoffs.

Fun Fact: Steve Nash has never averaged 36+ minutes per game in a single season in his entire career. He has actually only had 2 seasons in his career in which he averaged at least 35 minutes (35.4 in 05-06 and 35.3 in 06-07). This actually surprised me when I first saw it because it seemed like he was always on the floor when D'Antoni was here.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Fun Fact: Steve Nash has never averaged 36+ minutes per game in a single season in his entire career. He has actually only had 2 seasons in his career in which he averaged at least 35 minutes (35.4 in 05-06 and 35.3 in 06-07). This actually surprised me when I first saw it because it seemed like he was always on the floor when D'Antoni was here.
I wonder if Steve started high and ended low when it came to minutes played as he became older and the season progressed.

Averages over a game or season are only the numerical point in the middle which, quite often, actually never occur. For example, if you have 100 people aged 25 and 100 people aged 75 in your market area, and you gear your advertising to the average of 50 years old, not one of your targeted consumers will identify. But the average age is still 50.

Nash's averages for minutes played and stamina rating (if there could be such a thing) are not indicative of his performance and health at the end of a season vs. that at the beginning. Sure, that applies to all ballplayers to some degree, but when you are two months away from 39, it takes a higher toll.

So now, with the Lakers, Steve will put D'Antoni's offensive philosophy into even more of a conundrum than it did in Phoenix. When Steve is refreshed, he'll put on a hell of a show. As he wears down, it will cause the same confusion among the rest of the team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake