LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Todd McShay: Geno Smith, Quarterback, West Virginia

Daniel Jeremiah: Smith

Charles Davis: Smith

Matt Miller: Matt Barkley, Quarterback, Arizona

Dane Brugler: Smith

My Mock: Eric Fisher, Offensive Tackle, Central Michigan

The Arizona Cardinals have one of the worst quarterback situations in the NFL. Their fans have had to deal with the likes of John Skelton, Kevin Kolb and Ryan Lindley over the past several years. This is why the majority of the experts above have the Cardinals selecting a quarterback at pick No. 7.

Smith would be a great addition for this franchise. He has all the physical tools and work ethic needed to exceed at the next level. He boasts the most talent and upside of any quarterback in this class.

It's also important to note that he's athletic enough to evade the rush. The Cardinals offensive line really struggles in quarterback protection, which played a major role in problems on offense over the past few years.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
There are no mock drafts of any real value except the ones Rich Gosselin used to do. Unfortunately he didn't do one last year, and probably won't this year.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are no mock drafts of any real value except the ones Rich Gosselin used to do. Unfortunately he didn't do one last year, and probably won't this year.
Peter King and Paul Zimmerman were always pretty good (they always published their mocks a week or so before the actual draft).

Most interesting mocks take place the evening before the draft when the various writers obtain and swap insider info. The next morning, you suddenly check out the 25th pick to discover that 80% of the beat writers suddenly have Team #25 drafting the same obscure dude out of East Armpit University. Why? Everyone compared notes over drinks or online before deadline the night before.

OP
OP
john h

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Peter King and Paul Zimmerman were always pretty good (they always published their mocks a week or so before the actual draft).

Most interesting mocks take place the evening before the draft when the various writers obtain and swap insider info. The next morning, you suddenly check out the 25th pick to discover that 80% of the beat writers suddenly have Team #25 drafting the same obscure dude out of East Armpit University. Why? Everyone compared notes over drinks or online before deadline the night before.

I do not know the "real value" of mock drafts but it should be obvious that a man or group who make their living putting out mock drafts have a lot more information on players than we do. Guys like Kiper probably has people in numbers out around the nation looking at players and evaluating them. He and others have close ties with many team employees who are in the know. If a groundskeeper sees a players limping Kiper or some guru probably knows it. They spend hundreds of hours looking at films and talking to players. The rest of us see a few games and read articles. Who would I put my trust in for a draft pick? I suspect some teams read what the respected draft gurus think of certain players. You can never have to much information. You just might discover something you did not know. As to how important a mock draft is it is fun for the fans and boards like ours. In the long run it will likely not change any teams selection.

I found Bidwills comment of we will not be reaching with our pick to be most interesting. Of course "reaching according to who?"

Reaction score
I wouldn't be thrilled but could accept Geno Smith as the Cardinals pick. On the other hand, if their 1st round pick is Matt Barkley...

:barf:I will be ill.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
I wouldn't be thrilled but could accept Geno Smith as the Cardinals pick. On the other hand, if their 1st round pick is Matt Barkley...

:barf:I will be ill.

I could almost live with it if we traded way down in the first round for extra picks , but at 7? Too many much better choices. I'd rather stick with Stanton than make that big of a reach.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I've been hoping for Geno all offseason, but I don't expect him to be there. So, I've prepared myself for a 2013 of Drew Stanton.

(I actually like Stanton. Not as much as Smith though.)